When the Walls Come Crashing Down

The Letters

The sound of the alarm clock blaring woke Faith up automatically. She flailed about to shut it off before Bryson had a chance to hear it and start crying, thereby waking Joe. Slowly she turned to her other side and sighed in relief when she saw that Joe was still sleeping. She wanted a few minutes to just watch Joe sleep. He looked so peaceful. This is how she wanted to remember him for the next two months instead of the incredibly pained look on his face when he had to leave. Slowly she reached out and put her hand on his cheek. He stirred and blinked his eyes opened as he yawned.

“Hi,” she whispered. He looked up at her with a sleepy smile and put his hand on top of hers

“Hi,” he said softly. Just as Joe was about to lean up and kiss her there was a soft knock on the door before it was slowly pushed open.

“Oh good, you’re up,” Lizzy said softly, glancing over at Bryson.

“And you’re dressed,” Faith noticed.

“I have to leave in an hour, remember?” Lizzy asked, a slight hitch in her voice. “Besides, I have something for the two of you.”

“You do?” Joe asked, sitting up.

“Nothing major but it’s the least I could do after all you’ve done for me.”

“Alright, let’s go,” Faith said, pulling back the blanket but Lizzy held her hands up.

“No, no, no. Stay there, I’ll be right back,” she said as she closed the door.

“Breakfast in bed?” Joe guessed and Faith nodded.

“I don’t know what else it could be,” she said, looking over to Bryson who was still sound asleep. Joe put his arm across Faith’s shoulders and drew circles on her skin with his fingers. Faith sighed and rolled her head onto Joe’s shoulder and closed her eyes.

“What are you thinking?” he asked, kissing the top of her head.

“How much I hate this. I have to say goodbye to two people who mean so much to me in the same day.”

“How cheesy would it be of me to say that it’s not goodbye, it’s I’ll see you later?” he asked and Faith laughed.

“Very because that’s what people write in your yearbook when you graduate high school. That and You’re a great girl, don’t ever change are probably in mine ten times each at least,” she said causing Joe to laugh along with her.

“Well, Faith, this isn’t goodbye. It’s I’ll see you later. Also, you’re a great girl, don’t ever change,” he flourished causing Faith to laugh even harder. Before they had a chance to stop Bryson awoke with a cry.

“Oops,” Faith giggled as Joe jumped up to grab Bryson, not wanting to miss a chance in the few hours he had left before leaving.

“Good morning,” Joe cooed as he rocked Bryson to calm him down. “We’re sorry.”

“Smells like someone needs a new diaper,” Faith said, throwing the blanket off and moving to get up.

“I’ll do it,” he said, motioning for her to lie back down.

“Well okay, if you insist,” Faith said with a smile, sliding up against the headboard and pulling the blankets back over her.

“Knock, knock,” Lizzy said, pushing the door open with her elbow, bringing a tray full of food into the room.

“Oh Liz, wow, you did not have to do all of this,” Faith said as Lizzy placed the tray on her lap.

“Are there pancakes and French toast on there?” Joe asked when he turned around with Bryson in his arms.

“Mhmm,” Lizzy said with a smile. “And bacon and sausage and turkey bacon and a whole bunch of fruit and even some cereal. Do you want me to take Bryson so you can eat in peace?”

“You mean so you can have some alone time with him before you leave?” Joe asked, nudging her side before handing Bryson over.

“Yeah, I mean, that too,” she said, smiling as she looked down at Bryson. “About forty-five minutes, guys.”

“Okay,” Faith said with a nod as Joe sat next to her on the bed.

“This is nice,” Joe said, reaching for a piece of bacon.

“I can’t believe she made all this,” Faith said, slicing into a pancake.

“How much do you want to bet your Mom made it?”

“Let’s give her the benefit of the doubt,” Faith said after thinking about it for a second

“Deal,” Joe said, taking a bite of turkey bacon.

****

“Hello, hello!” Dani’s voice called up the stairs.

“Hi,” Faith said, walking down the stairs, Joe trailing behind her.

“How are you doing hun?” Danielle asked, wrapping her arms around Faith once she was at the bottom of the stairs.

“I’m alright,” Faith said, shrugging her shoulders after Dani let her go. “Trying not to think too much.”

“Kevin and I were thinking of getting Chinese food tonight. Want us to get enough to bring here to you and Meg?”

“And Nick,” Faith said.

“Right, I meant to say him too,” she said and Faith nodded.

“Sure.”

“Hi,” Joe said, stepping away from his conversation with Kevin to talk to Danielle. “When are you going to start showing sis?”

“Probably soon since I’ve got two in there,” she said, putting her hands on her stomach.

“You’re gonna be a great Mom,” Joe said, a big smile on his face. Dani couldn’t help but smile and hug Joe.

“And you’re gonna be a great Dad, once you’re done with this tour. Not that you aren’t now but when you’re here every day, it will be like you never left,” she said and Joe put his hands in his pockets and looked down.

“Well with the way things seem to be going I’m going to have some stiff competition,” he said and Faith sighed.

“It’s not a contest,” she hissed and he put his hand on her back.

“That’s not what I meant,” he said.

“Hey,” Nick said, walking into the room holding Bryson.

“Hey Nick,” Kevin said and Nick nodded.

“Want to hold him?” Nick asked, turning to Dani.

“Please,” she said, enthusiastically nodding her head.

“Faith, Lizzy’s leaving in twenty minutes. She wants to see you in the basement,” he said.

“Thanks,” Faith said, kissing Bryson’s head and squeezing Joe’s hand as she walked to the stairs.

“Hi honey,” Meg said as Faith walked through the kitchen.

“Hi,” Faith said, walking over and kissing her cheek. She could tell Meg was upset, even though she didn’t show it.

“Your sister’s waiting,” Meg said quietly, patting Faith’s hand. Faith turned and went to the basement door, opening it and walking downstairs.

“Lizzy?” she asked when she reached the bottom.

“Over here,” Lizzy said quietly. Faith turned to see her sitting on the floor, her back leaning against the bed.

“What’s up?” Faith asked, squatting down next to her. Lizzy leaned over and put her head on Faith’s shoulder and grabbed her hand.

“I’m going to miss you,” she whispered. Faith kissed the top of Lizzy’s head before resting her chin on top of it.

“Oh is that all?” Faith asked jokingly, trying to keep the mood light even though she could already feel the tears in her eyes.

“Of course not,” Lizzy said with a laugh, letting go of Faith’s hand and sitting up, wiping at the corners of her eyes. She stood up and walked over to her bags and opened up the top one, pulling out a thick manila envelope.

“What’s this?” Faith asked after Lizzy set the envelope in her lap before sitting back down.

“In there, is everything I wrote down over the past almost two years that I wanted to tell you but was too proud to pick up the phone. I was so mad at you. But after living with you these past few months, I’m so mad at myself,” she said, pointing at her chest. “But I hoped that one day things would go back to the way they used to be because you’re my sister forever. And I never stopped loving you and I knew one day I wanted to fill you in and I didn’t want to forget so I wrote it down. Some of them are letters, some are just little notes, and some are like conversations I had with myself as if you were there. I figured after I leave, you can read one every day we won’t be able to talk and that way it will be almost like I’m still here.”

“Lizzy, aside from the day you came here back in December and the day Bryson was born, this is the greatest gift I have ever received,” Faith said, trying to speak through the lump in her throat.

“What about Joe?” Lizzy asked with a laugh.

“Joe’s not a gift, he’s my other half,” Faith said with a smile.

“You two are perfect together,” Lizzy said, bumping her shoulder against Faith’s and Faith blushed. “You’re one of the lucky ones Faith.”

“It took awhile to get here,” she said and Lizzy grinned. “You’ll find someone like him too, who knows, maybe within the next few weeks.”

“Ha! Here’s hoping,” Lizzy said with a laugh. “We should probably go upstairs so I can say goodbye to everyone else, huh?”

“Probably,” Faith said with a nod as they helped each other stand up. They walked over to the pile of bags that were last remnants to be put in the U-Haul that Lizzy would tow on her way to school. When they got upstairs they noticed that Charlotte and the rest of the Jonas’ had arrived.

“Here,” Joe said, taking the bags Lizzy was carrying.

“You don’t have to,” she said.

“Hey this is the last time any of us will be able to help you. Relish it,” he said and Lizzy laughed. Joe took those and one of the bags Faith had and she followed him out to the car.

“Thank you,” Faith said as Joe put them in the U-Haul and closed the door.

“For what?” he asked, leaning up against the car.

“Everything,” Faith said. “But mostly for going behind my back and calling Lizzy all those months ago and convincing her to come out here.”

“Anything to make you happy,” he said, putting his hands on her waist and pulling her close. Faith wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

“Come on, she’ll want to say goodbye,” Faith said, entwining her fingers with his and leading him back to the house. Lizzy was standing in the middle of the living room ready to address everyone.

“Hurry up and sit,” she ordered Faith and Joe causing everyone to laugh. They walked through the tangle of people and sat on the couch with Dani, Faith taking Bryson from her and handing him to Joe.
“I just wanted to thank everyone for all that you’ve done for me these past few months. But also for everything you’ve done for my mother and Faith after Dad…” she said, getting choked up again. “And I want to apologize to all of you Jonas’ for acting the way I did before the uh, the wedding and refusing to come. And for turning down the holiday and birthday invitations.”

“No need to apologize,” Denise said and Lizzy shook her head.

“There is. I never said it and I’ve had plenty of chances these past few months, so thank you,” she said and they all nodded. “Kevin and Denise, especially, when Mom, Lizzy, and I had the hardest time right after, you two were there along with Joe helping clean and organize everything and you’ve been like a second set of parents. Frankie, I never realized how much I wish Faith and I could have had a little brother until I hung out with you. You’re amazing. Kevin and Dani you guys are going to be great parents. You need to send me pictures of every sonogram and every single thing you buy and I cannot wait to see those little babies.”

“Really, a picture of every single thing?” Kevin asked and Lizzy nodded. “You’re going to get like twenty pictures a day!”

“I don’t care!” Lizzy said with a laugh. “Nick, you’ve been a great father to Bryson and, honestly, you’ve really surprised me. And I mean that in the best way possible. You take the best care of my nephew while I’m gone… or else.”

“Yes ma’am,” Nick said with a laugh.

“And Joseph. If it hadn’t been for you, I probably still wouldn’t be talking to Faith. You know how I feel about you; I don’t need words to express it. I love all of you. So, so much,” she said, wiping tears off of her face. Joe stood up and wrapped his free arm around her and kissing her cheek, handing her Bryson. “And you, my little guy, you be good. And don’t forget me.”

“We’ll be outside honey,” Meg said as she and the Jonas’ and Charlotte stood up to go outside. Faith started to follow Frankie out but stopped when she realized Joe wasn’t behind her.

“We’ll be right there,” Joe said, waving her on. Faith raised an eyebrow but turned and followed Frankie anyway. They stood outside, quiet as they waited for Lizzy. They soon came out, Joe holding onto Bryson. Lizzy gave each of them one last kiss before joining the others and hugging them all.

“Send me lots of pictures once your room is set up. And tell me about your roommate. And study hard and learn a lot and tell me all about it,” Faith said, putting her hands on Lizzy’s shoulders once she got to her. “Be careful when you go out on weekends. Call me whenever, or Skype me.”

“I will. To everything,” Lizzy said, wrapping her arms tight around Faith. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Faith said, kissing Lizzy’s cheek before letting her go. Lizzy went over to their mother as Joe came up behind Faith and put one arm around her waist as he held Bryson in the other.

“One last look,” Lizzy said, letting go of her mother and turning to everyone. She looked at all of them, tears in her eyes. She took a deep breath before walking around to the driver’s side of the car and opening the door. “You are the greatest family and I’m so thankful to have you all.”

Lizzy then climbed into the car and closed the door, quickly wiping at her tears before starting the engine. She put one hand on the wheel and raised the other one up through the sunroof, waving it as she started to pull away. Everyone shouted his or her goodbyes and best wishes as she drove. Faith could only stand there watching, wrapping her arms around Joe’s waist, not ready for the second onslaught of goodbye coming her way.
♠ ♠ ♠
First of all, I know I was doing every other chapter Faith's POV and the others in Joe & Nick's POVs and that's what this one was supposed to be. And I think that's the reason it took me so long to write it, is because I needed to write Lizzy leaving but I was trying to do it in the wrong POV. So the order has changed and this one is in Faith's POV. And the next one will be Joe & Nick's and it will be picking up where this left off with Joe & Charlotte leaving again. I am so sorry it took me so long to figure that out. But in the meantime I was preoccupied with my Teen Wolf story/sequel. So please forgive me. And I hope you guys are still interested in this to see what happens. I'll try to speed it up, my writing and the storyline, but we'll see. But I'm determined to finish this story. I brought these guys this far, I need to give them an ending!

Thank you so much for sticking with this if you're out there!
~Steph xoxo