When the Walls Come Crashing Down

Coming Home

Joe’s POV

With less than three weeks until they’d be home, Joe and Charlotte had decided to take their free morning to go ring shopping. Again. So far, they’d had no luck. Joe had his phone held up to his left ear as he waited for Lizzy to pick up and Charlotte led them into their second store of the day.

Hey,” Lizzy said picking up. Before Joe could say anything, Charlotte was speaking.

“Hi, best-friend-not-girlfriend, we’re looking for an engagement ring for the actual girlfriend,” Charlotte said to the first employee she saw.

Oh my god, what did she say?” Lizzy asked with a laugh.

“Every time we go look, they assume we’re a couple so she’s taken to saying it first thing as her new approach,” Joe said, smiling at the employee.

“Sir, do you know what kind of ring you’re looking for?” the employee asked and Joe noted her name was Kerry.

“A round, centered halo,” Joe said confidently.

Ooh when did we decide on round?” Lizzy asked and Joe could hear her typing away in the background on her laptop.

“When Charlotte said the square would be too bulky on Faith’s dainty fingers. Her term, not mine,” Joe said and Charlotte rolled her eyes.

“It’s true, she’s a delicate lady,” Charlotte said matter-of-factly, pointing out a few options to Kerry.

“Here are three different kinds of round halo rings,” Kerry said, laying them out on a cloth on top of the glass case. “We have a twist, a v-band, and a normal band.”

Pictures please,” Lizzy said and Joe pulled the phone away from his ear to take them.

“Sorry, my future sister-in-law wants to give her input,” Joe apologized to Kerry.

“It happens all the time,” Kerry laughed.

“Personally, I love the twist for Faith. It’s very classy,” Charlotte said, pointing at it.

Oh, the twist is gorgeous,” Lizzy sighed.

“Are we saying this is the one?” Joe asked. “It’s the first one that you two have agreed on.”

“Well, what do you think?” Charlotte asked and Joe picked up each one and studied them. He tried to picture each one on Faith’s finger and which one would look best.

“The twist it is,” he said with a smile and Charlotte clapped in excitement.

Woohoo!” Lizzy cried and Joe laughed.

“Do you know what size she is?” Kerry asked with a smile and Joe hesitated. Immediately chastising himself for not thinking of this when he was home.

Six and a half,” Lizzy said and Joe raised an eyebrow.

"Um, how do you know that?” he asked.

I may or may not have stolen one of Faith’s rings before I left and had it sized,” Lizzy said sheepishly.

“You’re a godsend,” Joe said with a laugh. “Size six and a half.”

“Okay, why don’t you come with me and we’ll talk about the specifics,” Kerry said and Joe nodded.

“Gotta go, Lizzy.”

Bye Broseph,” she said, hanging up.

“Let the countdown begin,” Charlotte said excitedly and immediately, Joe felt a flutter. He knew exactly when and where he was going to propose. The hard part was trying to keep it a secret.

***
Nick’s POV


With only a week left until Joe and Charlotte came home, Nick was feeling more emotional than ever. He had something he needed to discuss with Charlotte, face to face, and he didn’t know why he was so nervous. He walked down the stairs of Faith and Joe’s house into the kitchen where Meg was cooking dinner. Bryson’s rocker was set on the kitchen table with him inside.

“Where’s Faith?” Nick asked, sitting at the table and tickling Bryson’s foot.

“Doing laundry,” Meg said, glancing over at him with a smile. “You two must be so excited!”

“Very,” he said, his face immediately breaking into a smile as he thought about Charlotte being home.

“Any big plans?” she asked.

“Not really. I’ll just be glad to spend time with Charlotte again,” he admitted and Meg nodded in understanding. Nick looked up when he heard Faith open the door to the laundry room.

“Hey,” she said, carrying a basket out and setting it on the table next to Bryson.

“I had an idea,” Nick said as Faith started to fold some of Bryson’s clothes.

“What would that be?”

“Since Joe and Charlotte come home next week why don’t you and I take Bryson out on Saturday, just the three of us,” he suggested and Faith tilted her head.

“I like that,” she said. “Were you thinking of anywhere in particular?”

“It’s supposed to be pretty nice so I was thinking the zoo?” he asked and Faith’s eyes lit up.

“Oh my god yes. He can see real giraffes are much larger than his toy one,” she said with a laugh and Nick smiled.

“The zoo it is,” he said, giving Bryson his finger to grab onto and smiling at him.

***

Nick held Bryson up to the glass of the otter enclosure so he could watch them swim around. Faith was a few feet away, using one of Joe’s personal cameras to snap some pictures.

“Bryson, over here baby,” she said. Nick turned his body toward Faith so she’d get a better shot at Bryson’s face and he looked at the camera himself.

“Oh, what a beautiful family,” a woman who looked slightly older than Meg said. Nick looked to see she was holding the hand of a little girl and assumed it was her granddaughter. Her never knew what to say in these situations even though Faith always responded the same way.

“Thank you,” she said, smiling at the woman and the girl.

“Nana,” the girl said, tugging at the woman’s elbow. “Baby.”

“Yes honey, isn’t he cute,” the woman said and Nick smiled at the girl, moving Bryson closer so she could get a better look at him. “Okay, let’s go and let the nice family enjoy their time.”

“Bye,” Faith and Nick said in unison, waving to the girl.

“Buhbye,” she said, opening and closing her fist in an almost-wave. Nick waited until he couldn’t see them anymore before turning to Faith and laughing.

“God I never know what to say in those situations,” he admitted, shaking his head.

“Just smile and say thank you,” Faith said with a shrug. “They don’t need to know our personal business.”

“I know it’s just… so weird having them assume,” he said, jiggling his leg as Bryson started to fuss.

“He might be hungry. I think I saw a picnic area just ahead when I was looking at the map. Want lunch?” she asked

“Yeah,” he said, standing up and putting Bryson back in the stroller. “So, less than a week now.”

“I know!” she squealed, a smile immediately growing. “Are you as excited as I am?”

“Oh absolutely,” he said with a nod. “Just not as loudly.”

“Sorry,” she laughed. “I can’t help it.”

“No, I understand,” he said, pointing out an empty picnic table and Faith nodded.

“So,” she said, sitting down and grabbing the insulated bag from underneath Bryson’s stroller and pulling their lunch out.

“So?” Nick asked, unwrapping his sandwich.

“We need to talk… about what to do with Bryson when Charlotte and Joe are back,” she said, putting on her privacy cover to breastfeed Bryson.

“Oh… that,” Nick said, looking down, kicking his shoe at the ground.

“It wouldn’t be very practical for the five of us to live in the house assuming Charlotte moves in, plus my mom. Even the Brady Bunch house seemed less crowded and there were eight of them.”

“Nine,” Nick said and Faith tilted her head. “Alice.”

“Nine,” she corrected herself. “I know I said I didn’t want to shuffle him back and forth but we might have to do that.”

“Faith,” he said softly and she shook her head defiantly. “You said you wanted me there for at least a year, remember?”

“Yeah well I talked to Vivienne. She said once Bryson is 6 months old and has had most of his shots he can start at daycare. I can work while he’s being cared for and you can go back to working on the album,” she said and Nick’s eyes widened at the realization.

“That actually doesn’t sound like a bad idea,” he said and Faith smiled. “So… what? We’d work out weekends?”

“Yeah, I think so. It’s not like holidays will be a problem,” she said with a laugh and Nick joined her.

“No, they definitely won’t,” he said. It grew silent between them as he mulled this over in his mind.

“Penny for your thoughts?” she asked.

“Oh, it’s nothing,” he said with a shrug. “It’s just going to be weird not seeing him as often. You’ll at least get to check in on him at the daycare center.”

“If I don’t have a dozen three-year-old’s vying for my attention that is.”

“Have you mentioned this to Joe?” he asked and she shook her head.

“Not yet. I only talked to Vivienne a few days ago and figured it could wait. I wanted to talk to you about it first.”

“I appreciate that,” he said, noting how far they really have come in the last few months.

“How many times do I have to remind you that you’re Bryson’s father, Nick?” she asked, wincing as Bryson suckled hard.

“You don’t, not anymore,” he said. “I just meant not keeping me waiting is all.”

“Sorry. Part of me just seems to think that even after the last three months you still don’t feel like you’re his father,” she admitted and Nick sighed.

“Of course I do,” he said truthfully. “I just know things are going to be different when Joe and Charlotte get back. It’s just a little weird is all.”

“Well, I can agree with you on that,” she said. “It’s not going to be easy, but we’ll make it work. I just know it.”

“We will,” Nick confirmed nodding his head.

Faith smiled and adjusted herself to move Bryson to her other breast. Nick went back to his sandwich; glad the conversation was over. He thought for sure he was going to say more than he wanted. But he couldn’t do it, not yet.

***
Joe’s POV


“Hurry up, hurry up,” Charlotte muttered as she and Joe waited for the people ahead of them to get off the plane. They were both so anxious knowing their loved ones were just minutes away in the airport.

“Oh, okay, we’ve got room to stand,” he whispered, getting a jump ahead into the aisle before the people behind them could.

“Could you hand me my bag?” she asked.

“Already ahead of you,” he said, bringing it down from the overhead compartment and giving it to her. “Come on, we’ve got a window.”

“Thank God,” she said, jumping up and joining him in the aisle. “So, are we expecting the whole family or just Nick, Faith, and Bryson?”

“Hopefully just the three,” he said and she nodded.

“I love them all, but yes, hopefully,” she said and Joe laughed. “Oh, we’re moving.”

“Come on,” Joe said, making his way down the aisle.

“Oh my god,” she said excitedly, following his quick pace.

“This way,” he said, navigating through the familiar airport. “Faith said they’re waiting near the bottom of the escalator before baggage claim.”

“Where’s the escalator?”

“Right down this hallway,” he said, taking a left turn.

They walked a few more feet before finally reaching the escalator. Joe let Charlotte on first, as much as he wanted to have Faith in his arms, he wanted to be run over by Charlotte even less. He watched as her neck craned left and right over the heads of the people in front of them trying to find them.

“Oh my god, I see them,” she said excitedly, waving her arm in the air. Joe looked to see Nick and Faith standing at the bottom of the escalator. Faith had Bryson in her arms and Nick was holding a bouquet of flowers.

“Hi,” Joe said once he finally had his arms around Faith. She gripped onto the back of his shirt and reached up to kiss him.

“I can’t believe you’re home,” she said, pulling away and putting her hand on his chest. “Look who’s home,” she cooed to Bryson.

“Come here,” Joe said, holding his arms out to take Bryson.

Faith gladly put him in his arms and smiled at them. Joe kissed Bryson’s cheek multiple times and looked over the top of his head to see Nick and Charlotte still locked in a tight embrace. It looked like Nick was whispering in Charlotte’s ear and he noticed her nodding her head against Nick’s shoulder. Finally, they separated and Charlotte wiped some tears from her eyes.

“Want to say hi?” Joe asked Bryson, turning so Charlotte could see his face.

“Hi buddy,” she said with a smile, rubbing Bryson’s back.

“Want to hold him?” Joe asked, and Charlotte nodded enthusiastically. She bounced as she held him and Joe turned to Nick.

“Welcome home, man,” Nick said, reaching out to hug Joe. Joe put his arms around Nick and patted his back.

“Thanks for taking care of them,” he said and Nick nodded.

“Of course,” Nick said. Charlotte handed Bryson back to Faith and immediately put an arm around Nick.

“Let’s get your bags and go. Everyone’s waiting at the house,” Faith said and Joe laughed.

“Of course they are,” he said, picking up his carry-on bag.

***

Nick and Faith had driven to the airport separately to give themselves alone time with their other halves for a bit before the chaos started. When Faith pulled into the driveway Joe took note of the balloons tied around the mailbox post. He could only imagine what was inside.

“Everyone should be out back,” Faith said, closing her car door and opening the back to get Bryson. Joe grabbed his bags from the back and led the way to the front door.

“I still can’t believe everything went smoothly between you two after the kiss,” Joe said, opening the door and dropping his bags by the stairs, knowing they would be sitting there until much later.

“It honestly did, I swear,” she said, setting Bryson’s car seat on the couch and lifting him out of it. Just then the door opened and Nick and Charlotte walked in.

“I can’t wait to sleep in a bed that’s not moving or in a hotel,” Charlotte said with a sigh, setting her bags down.

“No sleeping yet,” Nick said, kissing her forehead and Charlotte groaned. “I think homemade food is a nice compromise.”

“Oh my god yes,” she said excitedly, grabbing his hand and heading to the back door to join the rest of the family.

“Ready?” Faith asked and Joe nodded, taking her hand.

“Let’s go,” he said.

They walked through the kitchen to the back door. Joe slid it open to see his family welcoming Charlotte back. They all looked up when they heard the door open again and Denise was the first to come forward.

“There’s my boy,” she said, throwing her arms around his neck.

“Hi Mom,” he said, squeezing her tight.

“Is it good to be home?” she asked. Joe looked at Faith and Bryson and smiled.

“Absolutely,” he said, walking arm in arm with her over to the rest of the family.

“Joe!” Danielle exclaimed, coming over to him, her pregnant belly showing.

“Look at you!” he said, and Danielle immediately smoothed her dress over her bump, turning so Joe could see her in profile.

“We find out soon what they are,” she said excitedly and Joe gave her a big hug.

“I’m so excited for you, sis,” he said and she smiled.

“And I’m excited for you,” she said in a singsong voice and Joe’s eyes widened.

“How…?”

“Lizzy couldn’t hold it in any longer,” she admitted and Joe rolled his eyes. “When are you going to do it?”

“If we can sneak away, I’d like to do it tonight, but I can hold off until tomorrow morning if I have to.”

“I don’t think you’re getting away tonight, Faith would be too suspicious,” she said and Joe nodded.

“I didn’t think so, but it would have been nice. Morning might be better for what I have planned anyway.”

“Are you gonna tell me what it is?” she asked excitedly.

“Absolutely not,” he said with a laugh and Danielle pouted.

“Fine. Now come mingle,” she said, walking ahead and waving him over. Joe’s heart leapt into his throat as he thought about how different everything would be in 24 hours.

***

“Faith… Faith wake up,” Joe said softly, gently shaking her body.

“Wha…?” she muttered, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. “Wha tim issi?”

“7:00,” he said and Faith shook her head.

“Nigh nigh,” she said, placing her head back on her pillow and Joe laughed.

“Please?” he begged, gently shaking her again. Faith groaned and sat back up. “Can we go somewhere?”

“What’s open this early on a Saturday?” she asked, starting to wake up.

“Where I’m taking you is always open,” he said, throwing the blanket off of them.

“What about Bryson?”

“Well I talked to your mom last night. She should be waiting for us in the kitchen in a few minutes,” he said and Faith tilted her head.

“You planned this,” she stated and Joe nodded.

“Come on,” he said, grabbing her hand and pulling her up. “Your Mom set clothes out on the chair for you.”

“Joseph Jonas what are you doing?”

“You’ll see,” he said cheerily, heading over to the closet to grab clothes.

Ten minutes later they were dressed and made up and ready to go. Joe carried Bryson down the stairs and walked into the kitchen were Meg was waiting. She set her coffee cup down and stood up.

“Thank you for getting up so early to do this,” Joe said, handing Bryson over and Meg smiled.

“Of course. We’ll be waiting,” Meg said, picking up Bryson’s hand to make him wave.

“Bye Mom,” Faith said, blowing a kiss to her and Bryson.

“After you,” Joe said, holding open the front door.

“It’s still dark out,” Faith observed, walking over to the car.

“Yup,” Joe said.

“You gonna tell me where we’re going?” she asked as they got in and buckled their seatbelts.

“Nope,” he said and Faith rolled her eyes. “You’ll figure it out soon.”

“Oh my god is it the diner? It’s been forever,” she guessed as Joe drove.

“Last I checked the diner isn’t always open,” he reminded her.

“Oh yeah,” she said, turning to look out the window. “Wait a second…”

“Do you know now?” he asked with a smile.

“Is this the park?” she asked, her mind flashing back to when Joe brought her here for pictures, his winning picture.

“Yes, this is the park,” he said, parking the car and getting out. He opened the back door and grabbed his camera bag.

“What are you doing?” Faith asked.

“I just want to recreate what was basically our first date,” he said, grabbing her hand and leading her over to the familiar bench.

“Don’t you want a break from taking pictures?”

“Not when I have one of my favorite subjects with me,” Joe said, kneeling on the ground to get the best angle.

“Joe,” she whined and he laughed.

“Come on, smile. Please?” he asked. Faith rolled her eyes before posing and smiled. Joe took a few pictures before pulling the camera away from his face. “Hold on, I have to change the battery.”

“So unprepared,” Faith said with a laugh. Joe turned to his camera bag and started searching around in it. Faith stopped laughing when she saw the small box in Joe’s hand. He shifted to one knee and took her hand in his.

“We’ve been on quite the journey, you and I. We’ve had our ups and downs, but in the end, we got there. A few months ago, you promised it’s you and me, no matter what. I want you and me to start as soon as possible. Faith… will you marry me?”

“Yes,” she whispered as the tears started to overflow. Joe placed the ring on her finger before grabbing her face in his hands and kissing her. Faith kissed him back, her fingers wrapping around the back of his neck. “Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes.”
♠ ♠ ♠
One thing left after this, the epilogue. I'm sure it will be up next week! I'm happy to finally be bringing this to a close.

~Steph