When the Walls Come Crashing Down

Honesty is the Best Policy

“Kevin’s on his way back,” Danielle said, responding to his text and setting her phone back down.

“Do you think it went okay?” Faith asked, adjusting Bryson in her arms.

“I hope so.”

“Me too,” Faith said, looking down at her son. She smoothed his hair forward and kissed the top of his head.

“Are you sure you don’t want to call Joe?” Dani pressed again and Faith shook her head.

“I agree with my Mom, it’s not a good idea. He and Charlotte just left,” she said just as Meg came back from putting laundry in.

“What do I think isn’t a good idea?” she asked, sitting next to her daughter and stroking Bryson’s cheek.

“Filling Joe in on what happened,” Danielle said.

“At least not right now,” Meg said. “If this had happened two, three weeks from now but for it to have been the night he left for two more months?”

“I understand,” Dani said. “As long as you’re absolutely sure.”

“I’m sure,” Faith said nodding. Just then the door opened and Kevin walked back in. “How did it go?”

“He’s full of regret, Faith. He wants to talk to you later today.”

“I’m not sure I can handle that,” she admitted.

“We can stay if you want,” Kevin said and Danielle nodded.

“I’ll need the support. Thank you,” she said.

“Anytime,” Dani said as Faith’s phone started to ring. “Want me to take him so you can get that?”

“Yes please, it’s Joe,” Faith said and Dani raised an eyebrow as she scooped up Bryson. Faith stood and walked into the kitchen for some more privacy. “Well hello again.”

Hi, can I talk to you?” he asked and immediately Faith’s heart jumped to her throat.

“Always. Is something wrong?”

Only if you think it is.

“What’s going on, Joe?” she asked, biting her lip.

Just know, I’m not mad. Not in the least,” he said and that’s when it clicked for Faith.

“You know? How? Did Kevin call you? I told him I didn’t want to tell you yet,” she said, her heart racing.

Faith, calm down,” he said and Faith took a deep breath. “Actually… it was Nick who called me.

“What?” Faith gasped. “Why would he do that?”

He wanted me to hear his side.

“Well, what did he say?” she asked, sitting down at the kitchen table.

The short version is he thought he was getting feelings for you again. He kissed you to find out. And… he felt nothing.

“He didn’t? Oh, thank god,” she sighed, leaning back in the chair and crossing her free arm across her chest.

I know it wasn’t easy for him. Hell, it wasn’t easy for me hearing the start of it,” he said and Faith bit her lip.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you after I promised I would. I just didn’t know what to do. You had only been gone for a few hours and I was freaking out.”

Babe, it’s okay. I think… I think it was better that I heard it from Nick,” he said and Faith raised an eyebrow.

“Really? Well, good because I was dreading telling you,” she said with a laugh. “Does Charlotte know?”

Yes. After he and I spoke she came out and I put him on speaker phone so she could have some moral support.

“Good. I’d hate for her to be out of the loop. Is she okay?”

I think so. They’re talking privately now. The only good thing that came out of this mess is he realized how much he truly loves her.

“I’m glad. All I want is for him to be happy,” she said.

Me too. He still wants to help with Bryson,” he said and Faith bit her lip. “If you’re comfortable, that is.

“I want him to be involved in his life but… we both have a lot of apologizing to do,” she admitted.

I understand. Just… don’t be too hard on him.

“Boy he must have really convinced you,” she said with a laugh.

Let’s just say I had a good set of siblings as an example of forgiveness,” he said and Faith smiled.

“I love you,” she said sincerely.

I love you too, so much. Hopefully now these next two months will fly by since there’s no… threat… anymore,” Joe said and Faith hoped that would be true.

“Fingers crossed,” she said. She looked up when the doorbell rang. “I think Nick’s here.”

I’ll let you go. Remember, don’t be too hard on him,” he said.

“I won’t,” she said. “Talk later?”

Absolutely,” Joe said before hanging up.

“Hey,” Nick said softly from the doorway to the kitchen. “Your Mom let me in.”

“I don’t bite, Nick,” she said, motioning to the chair across from her.

“Sorry, I just… I don’t want to push it,” he said, slowly walking over to sit down.

“Joe just called me,” she said as he sat and his facial muscles seemed to relax.

“So that’s why you didn’t come to the door and turn me away,” he said with a slight smile.

“I’m sorry… for shouting at you.”

“No, I’m the one who needs to apologize. Not you. You had every right to do that,” he said and she shook her head. “Stop shaking your head, Faith. You know I’m right.”

“Maybe a little,” she said, holding her thumb and forefinger centimeters apart. “So, you felt nothing?”

“Not even the smallest butterfly,” he said and she laughed.

“God what a mess,” she said, putting her elbow on the table and resting her chin on her hand. “And Charlotte’s okay?”

“Yeah, it took some more talking after we hung up with Joe, but I think we’re good.”

“Good. That’s all I want, you know. For you to be happy,” she said and he nodded.

“I think for the first time in a long time, I finally am,” he said and she smiled.

“I’m sorry it wasn’t with me.”

“I’m sorry your happiness wasn’t with me,” he said, pointing to himself.

“We got there in the end,” she said, reaching her hand out. He smiled and reciprocated, giving her hand a squeeze. “Joe said you still want to help with Bryson?”

“Of course, if you’ll have me.”

“He’s your son, Nick. I’d never do anything to keep you away from him,” she said and she noticed his mouth twitch a little, into an almost sad smile.

“I can move into the basement, if that’ll make it easier,” he suggested.

“Nonsense, just stay in the room you were in. There’s no reason for that."

“If you’re sure.”

“Of course,” she said and he nodded.

“Somebody wanted to say hi,” Dani said, walking in with Bryson. Nick smiled and stood up, gratefully taking him from her.

“I’ll go move his bassinet in your room for tonight so you can spend the time with him you should have had last night,” Faith said, standing up.

“Thank you, Faith,” he said sincerely, bouncing slightly as he rocked Bryson. She smiled at him and linked arms with Dani so they could go get Nick’s room ready.

“So, that went well?” Dani whispered as they climbed the stairs.

“Yeah, it really, honestly, did,” Faith said and Danielle rocked into her side.

“Good,” Dani said, opening the door to Nick’s room. Faith immediately went to the bed to smooth the comforter that was still messed up from the night before when she shoved him away.

Please let him be telling the truth, Faith thought to herself as she and Danielle busied themselves around the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter???? Yeah, I was serious when I said I was finishing this up. I don't think anyone is reading this except for my friend Shelby so shoutout to you, Shelby!

<3
Steph