Status: A new idea, let's see how it plays out...please provide feeback :) <3

Her Best Friend

16

The weeks were collecting together, and it was soon rounding to four months. It still wasn’t getting any easier without Anna, but Olivia’s friendship with Ryan was growing, and she liked that. It was another day at work, Olivia was giving the chef another order, when Ryan comes over, with empty glasses and a slight smile.
“Hey Liv, busy day huh?” he said, bumping her hip slightly in a cheeky manner. Olivia smiled slightly.
“Yeah, I’m swamped here…” she said, as she was making another drink.
“So, how’s Lula?” he asked casually, as he got some more glasses out.
“She’s good, she didn’t sleep very well last night…”
“By the looks of it, neither did you.” Ryan said.
Olivia shrugged, and continued to work. After some silence, Ryan spoke again.
“Hey Liv…” Olivia looked up, and stopped.
“Yeah?” she mumbled.
“I was thinking, maybe we could go out and buy a drink together some time?” Ryan said carefully, watching as Olivia’s eyes flickered. She swallowed, and looked at Ryan.
“Look Ryan, I don’t think that’s a good idea, I mean I have Lula to think about-“
“I’ll babysit.” Joey’s voice came out of nowhere, making Olivia almost spill her drink.
“Oh my god-“ Olivia panted, feeling her heart beat.
“Sorry, couldn’t help over hear your little conversation, just thought I’d help out.” Joey said, chuckling. Ryan glanced at his boss, but also friend and smiled at him.
“I don’t know Joey, Lula doesn’t take well to strangers-“
“Strangers? Olivia, she knows who I am, you’ve brought her in like three times before. We even played snap remember?” Joey teased, an Olivia sighed. Ryan looked at her, feeling guilty as he didn’t want to force her into this.
“Look, forget it-“
“Okay.” Olivia interrupted, her heart racing.
“Okay?” Ryan said confused.
“Just a drink yeah?” Olivia said, and Ryan nodded, smiling slightly.
“Course. So tonight?” Ryan asked.
“Is that okay Joey?” Olivia asked her boss, who was grinning madly. “Sure, drop her off around seven, gives me enough time to clean up the flat.” Joey said, half laughing. Olivia smiled, and nodded.
“Okay then, so shall we meet here then?” she asked Ryan, who nodded.
“Great.” And then they parted, returning back to work, Ryan and Olivia both feeling something inside of them, and they realized it was excitement.
--
“Aunty Liv, why you all dressed up?” Lula asked, as she was sitting on their unmade bed, sucking her thumb and cuddling Grayham. Lula watched Olivia slip on some black tight leggings, and oversized silk, pale pink blouse. It use to fit nicely around her chest, but seeing as Olivia had lost so much weight, it now looked very baggy. To make it look better, Olivia tied a brown waist belt, onto it’s last notch around her waist, giving herself some shape.
“I’m going for a drink with a friend Lula, and you’re going to Joey’s house, is that okay? I’ll only be an hour babe…promise.” Olivia said, biting her lip nervously. She knew Lula would kick up a fuss.
“Okay.” Lula said simply, and jumped off the bed, padding out the room almost silently, leaving Olivia in shock. Olivia checked her appearance, her stomach in complete flutters. She pulled on some pale pink heels, giving her some height, and her make-up, was natural looking, her hair was in big waves like usual. She felt better about herself, but couldn’t help stare at the dark lines under her eyes.
“Lula, have you got everything?” Olivia called, as she picked up her bag, with her keys, purse and phone inside.
“Yeah!” the little girl shouted back.
“Let’s go then…” Olivia said, opening the door, and Lula followed out, Grayham still in tow.
---
“Thanks for this Joey…so Lula, I’ll be back at eight okay…-“
“Lula, Aunty Liv is going out for a little while, and she doesn’t know the time she’s coming back, but you’re okay with me right?” Joey interrupted, a Lula grinned slightly.
“Can we play snap again?” she asked, Joey chuckled “Course we can babe….and Liv, Ryan is here.” Olivia turned around, and saw Ryan’s car pulled up, and Ryan got out.
“Okay, right see you later then. Lula, if for some reason I’m later, I want you asleep by nine….at the very latest!” she said, and Lula nodded. Olivia bent down, and kissed her head.
“Love you sweetie.” She murmured, and stood up. She smiled at Joey slightly, before going outside to meet Ryan.
“Hey…” she called, the cool air embracing her. Ryan looked gorgeous, Olivia thought. He was wearing dark jeans, that fitted nicely, and plain black shirt which also fitted nicely, revealing his firm arms.
“You look beautiful.” He blurted out, and smiled tenderly afterwards, and Olivia’s heart rate increased again.
“Thanks.” She murmurs. “You look good…” she says looking him up and down. Ryan smiled again.
“So, ready to go?” he asked, and opened the car door for her. Olivia nodded and got in, and Ryan shut the door, and soon they were driving off.
“So where are we going exactly?” Olivia asked, as she watched the cars pass them by.
“There is really nice pub, it has like a small garden and everything….” Ryan enthused. Olivia nodded, and hoped that her stomach would stop fluttering soon.
---
“One pint of Stella, and a glass of red wine please…” Ryan ordered, as they had finally reached The Holly Thorn Bush. The small pub was one of the most delectable pubs in London, with a lovely atmosphere, good drinks and the beer garden was just adorable.
When they both finally settled down with their drinks, something just clicked, and Olivia began to relax as they talked about their lives. About what they aspired to be, Ryan wanted to be a chef a year ago, but after his father’s disappearance to somewhere, he decided against it.
“Why?” Olivia questioned when he told her this.
“I don’t know, I’ve always been interested in food, and it’s something practical and I can see myself doing it, and I guess I had dreams of running my own restaurant.” He explained. Olivia smiled softly, as she delicately traced her fingernail over her half full glass.
“What about you Liv, what do you want to be?” Ryan asked, his body language was clear as a bell to everyone except Olivia, as he sat forward, arms slightly crossed, but his face was taking it all in. Olivia cleared her throat.
“I don’t know anymore.” She said honestly, Ryan gave her a questioning look.
“Well ever since Anna died, it’s all changed. At one point I wanted to a be a teacher-“
“And what’s changed?” Ryan questioned. Olivia gave him a harsh look.
“She’s dead Ryan.” Instead of panicking, like any other guy would, Ryan nodded.
“Yeah I know, you told me. I meant, what’s changed…why don’t you want to be a teacher anymore?” Ryan asked curiously, he wasn’t being mean, he was being truthful. Olivia stared at him in shock.
“I have a child-“
“Yeah and so do millions of people in this country, it doesn’t stop them from accomplishing their aspirations does it? So what’s stopping you Olivia?” Ryan questioned further, and Olivia frowned slightly.
“The fact I can’t move on.” She admitted finally, sighing.
“Move on from what? Move on from the fact that Anna has passed? Of the fact you’re a new mother?” Ryan said softly.
“Both. I can’t get it round my head. The fact I have a child in my care-“
“You didn’t have to accept that you know? You could have easily walked away-” Ryan interrupted, sipping his drink.
“No I couldn’t have!” Olivia snapped, getting irritated with his persistent questioning.
“Why not?” Ryan continued.
“She was my best friend! How could I do to that to her? Put her child in care or cast her off to her mother, who’s a bitch-“
“So you wanted to do this right?” Ryan asked softly. Olivia nodded.
“Then please Olivia, stop fighting against it. You chose to do this, you chose to be a mother to Lula, and I’m sure you’re a damn good one and I find you so brave and courageous to do this. But just because you have a big responsibility, doesn’t mean it should prevent you from achieving your dreams.”
“What’s made you all philosophical?” Olivia snapped, annoyed at the fact, he was more than right.
“I read one of Jen’s magazines…” he admitted, and Olivia couldn’t help let out a giggle
“I’m sorry if I over stepped the mark there…” Ryan said, feeling a sting of guilt. Olivia shrugged.
“I needed somebody to.” She confessed, and Ryan gave her smile then for a second, she forgot what she was thinking of, which was as usual was Anna, and Lula…and money, and her own health. Everything was gone, for just a mere second.
“Olivia, I didn’t know Anna but I’m sure she’d want you to become a teacher…” he added. Olivia nodded, agreeing. He was right, Anna was always encouraging the idea.
“You’re right.” She said softly, finishing her wine.
“First for everything right?” he mocked, and the twinkle in his eyes said everything, as he too finished his drink.
“Another?” he offers, and without hesitation she agreed. When he came back, a Pepsi for him seeing as he was driving, they talked about lighter things, but the stuff he said was cemented in her mind as they talked about music, TV shows, and family in general. Olivia really enjoyed herself.
When they left, after a third drink. Olivia left in hysterics at a hilarious story of his youth, that Ryan had shared. They drove back, with music on quiet and this time, in a comfortable silence. They pulled in front of diner, the upstairs light switched on. Ryan turned the engine off, and looked at Olivia.
“I had a really nice time.” Olivia said softly, as the sound of the London’s night life echoed outside, sirens and car’s whizzing by, and the occasional scream of a drunk person.
“Me too...Olivia?” he said softly, he touched her arm, sending tingles up her arm.
Olivia stared at him, her breathing slightly hitched. “I counted this as a date you know…” he said, and Olivia smiled slightly, feeling comfortable at the idea.
He leaned, and Olivia was suddenly scared, she wasn’t ready for this was she? But as if he saw her fear, Ryan kissed her soft cheek.
“Thank you for coming out with me.”
“Thank you for taking me out.”
“So, you think sometime we can do dinner?” he asked hopefully. Olivia grinned.
“Will Joey babysit Lula?” she asks. Ryan smirked. “I’ll be sure of it.”
Olivia bid him a sweet goodnight, leaving Ryan with indescribable feelings, his heartbeat quicker than normal, his stomach in knots, and he couldn’t stop smiling as he watched Olivia go into the diner, then upstairs to collect Lula. He didn’t care if Olivia had a child, or that she was drowning in sorrow. Ryan was determined to save her, simply because he liked her, liked her more than two friends should like one another.
When Ryan arrived home that night, his brother Tom asked him how it went.
“Good, she’s so cool…” he said, as he took off his jacket, and hung it up, following Tom into the kitchen. Jenny was eight months pregnant, and was suffering for it. She was already asleep, with swollen feet, and horrendous back pain but despite that she was extremely excited about the awaiting arrival of her baby. Tom was bricking it. He was scared as hell, worried he would mess it up and every time he voiced his concern about them, Ryan reassured him that it was going to be okay. Ryan personally, was just as excited as Jenny, to see his new niece or nephew. He was secretly hoping for a boy.
“So this girl, what’s she like?” Tom asked, as he got a beer out for them both, and they sat at the counter, facing one another.
“She’s beautiful, with blonde hair, big blue eyes…she’s mourning right now though, her best friend died about four months ago, leaving her kid behind for Olivia. She’s torn apart about it all, don’t blame her either. But she’s so interesting, I could listen to her for hours, she’s so brave for everything, despite you can tell she’s terrified and I don’t know man, there’s something about her I can’t describe….but she’s just…real.” Ryan dove straight in, not even caring the wide eyes he was receiving from his brother.
“You’re whipped…”
“No I’m not, I just like her. Tom, seriously…I do.” Ryan defended himself. Tom scoffed.
“Ryan, you’ve never done the whole liking thing. I thought your motto was ‘no strings attached’?” Ryan cringed thinking about the time he had told Ryan about that.
“I was childish then. Besides, Olivia’s....different.” Ryan bragged. Tom smiled slightly.
“You know ever since Dad went inside, you’ve changed.” Tom said, he had noticed the improvement in his brother’s behaviour.
“Yeah because I finally realized what would happen if I didn’t grow up.” Ryan said bitterly, thinking of his deadbeat father.
“It’s good you know, you’ve matured…” Tom admitted. Ryan smiled, enjoying the glow of pride coming from his brother.
“Thanks….anyways, I’m off to bed. Night Tommy-Boy” Ryan said cheerfully, jumping off the stool, and leaving the kitchen.
“Night bro.” Tom called softly, smiling to himself. Whoever Olivia was, he owed her a huge thank-you.
♠ ♠ ♠
So they had a date...it's slightly confusing because I have two ways this could go, but I don't want to rush it. What you think?
Also, thank you to the loyal commenters, you are amazing seriously <3
Anddd, wish me luck. I have a bigg exam tomorrow, and I should be revising but instead I'm on here, haha, shows my loyalty eh? ;) <3