Sequel: Safe and Sound
Status: Complete

Set Fire to Rain

Like Brother Like Sister is Like Father Like Son .

The common room was filled with slytherins in quidditch gear when I walked down the dormitory steps. It was Tuesday afternoon, and it was the first day of quidditch tryouts. People were adorned in the traditional slytherin robes that were a silk green, pulled over black leather pants and a green sweatshirt. I came down fully dressed, bracers on and broom in hand. Many people looked up at me in surprise. Surely the new girl wouldn’t try out for the quidditch team? Of course I was.

“New girl trying out, you don’t see that much.”
I turned to see Gregory standing there, arms crossed also garbed in robes. “Well, I’m good at it, why wouldn’t I do something I’m good at?”
“Well spoken.” I turned away from him again, scanning the room for Draco. “Draco’s down at the pitch already, if that’s who you’re looking for. But I’m willing enough to walk down with you, if you’d like.” Actually, I didn’t really want to walk with him at all. But the evens from the night before made me comply, since this was the first time I had seen him since. He seemed to slip away just when I wanted to snatch him.
We walked into the hallway and I waited until we were virtually alone in one hall to grab his sleeve and slam him against a wall, wand against his throat. He was completely taken by surprise, that much was clear. But soon his surprise faded into an amused expression which pissed me off even more.

“If you tell anyone about my-“
“Dark mark? As if people don’t assume that already, but don’t worry, Potter. Your secret is safe with me. I assume you’ve never had the urge to lift up my left sleeve. Maybe you should.”
With my hand still clutching the front of his robes I flicked my wand at his sleeves, rolling them up instantly. On his arm was a black tattoo of a skull with a snake going through its jaws. The dark mark, the same thing that was on my own arm. My skin itched at seeing his.
I let go of him. “Who the hell are you?”
“Igor Karkaroff’s son. I kept my mother name though, for they were not married.”
I froze, I literally froze. I felt my blood run cold in my veins, I saw the glimmer behind his blue eyes the small upturn of his lip when he spoke the words. All the hairs on my arms stood on end, and my neck tingled. I felt my hands sweat and I licked my lips. Igor Karkaroff was killed a few weeks ago, as a matter of fact. But how could he have a son, a son who was a death eater? That’s why Karkaroff had been killed off… because he refused to join.
“Why do you seem so surprised?” Gregory asked, cocking his head to the side. He knew. God he knew.

“Bane,” a voice growled from a few feet away. I snapped my head to see Draco standing there, a stone cold face on. Draco’s face restarted my heart, but whether it was because some how I found him stunningly beautiful or absolutely terrifying, I wasn’t sure. “What are you doing here? And why does it seem that you’re making Reagan upset?”
“What? No!” I said quickly letting him go quickly. “He um- caught me off guard when I was walking down the hall, tapping me on the shoulder but I freaked out. You know me, never doing the normal thing and turning to see who it is.”
Draco looked at me like he didn’t believe me. “You two know each other?”
“Yeah.” We both said at the same time, earning another untrusting look from Draco.
“Sorry I scared you, Reagan. I forgot my broom though, I’ll see you at the pitch!”
Gregory left us, but not without throwing me a strange glance. I turned to Draco and smiled, but like I knew he would, he frowned. He didn’t buy a word of what I had said. But I didn’t understand the face he was making, it seemed very… protective of sorts. The fact that I had been talking to Gregory seemed to have disturbed him. I was itching to ask him but I knew that if I did, he would only be honest with me if I were honest with him. And Draco would never understand…
“Fine,” Draco said, clearly angry with me. “Don’t tell me what that was really about. Who knew telling your best friend could be so brutal?”

*
Draco had not said two words to me. Even when I showed up at try-outs and put everyone else to bloody shame. He didn’t congratulate me, did not say anything, even as team captain. The only time he said anything to me when he was addressing everyone trying out, which did not count. And the fact that everyone noticed, did not make it any better.
“Alright boys-“
“I’m a girl,” I cut in, glaring at him. The only girl, but I was one.
He shot me a scathing look before continuing, “Tomorrow we’ll have the final try out and those who suck, just don’t make the team. And if you sucked today, you better not suck tomorrow. Now go hit the showers.”
The whole team grumbled as the walked towards the showers. I stayed behind for a moment, waiting to see if Draco would finally talk to me but he walked right past me and towards the showers. I glowered and picked up my broom, marching right after him, set on figure out what his deal was.
“Sure, Draco,” I called sarcastically. “Keep ignoring me.” He did keep ignoring me and reached for the doorknob to the showers. Furious I snatched my wand and pointed it at the door knob, shouting, “Colloportus.”

The doors lock clicked in place, making Draco stand still and tense. He took out his wand and muttered a spell, pointing it to the handle. The door swung open again and he grabbed his bag from the floor once more to enter the showers. Now my anger boiled over the top, so much that my skin felt hot and burning, and without thinking of it I threw my wand in his direction, hitting the door with a curse and making it snap back with a bang.
Draco whirled around, malice on his face. “Did you just throw a curse at me?”
“Yes.”
He began walking hotly over to me, and the urge to step back was prevelant, but I kept my ground. “What in the bloody hell is your problem?” He was face to face with me now and his voice had raised in volume.
“Mine? You won’t speak to me! You act like I’m some random person trying out for quidditch!”
“Out here you are just a random person on the quidditch team! Do you expect special treatment?”
“That is not what this is about Draco Lucius and you know that’s not what this is about! I don’t know why you were so bloody upset that I was simply speaking to-“
“You’re lying! I’m not an idiot, Merlin’s beard Reagan. I know you’re not always honest with everyone but with me? You act like I’m your enemy! You’re acting like your bloody brother!”
All the air left my lungs. My cheek actually burned as if it had been slapped, and I wondered for a moment if he had in fact slapped me. But no, his hand had never moved. It was his words that assaulted my face and my chest as they left his mouth like razors intent on killing me.

I took a step backwards and looked at him, hurt clear on my face, but letting my fury show through. I shook with it. My body coursed with the fury, and I felt sick with the first reaction that came to my mind. I felt sick that for no more than a split second I thought to point my wand at him and shout crucio.
“You, Draco Malfoy,” I quavered, voice shaking with anger, “Are acting just like your father. When you want to get the truth from me like you should, just ask. But if you’d rather fallow in his footsteps, come knock on my door when you’re ready to insult me more.”
It wasn't until the moment that I walked away from Draco Malfoy, that the thought occurred to me: If Draco did not speak to me again after this, I would die. It was in that moment that I paused, turning over my shoulder to see Draco Malfoy walking the other way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments and opinions are very welcome to me ! In the next chapter , Reagan also realizes something else .
Also , there is a very big reason i invited Gregory Bane . Not only is he not everything he seems , but he's really about to test Draco & Reagan's friendship .