Sequel: Safe and Sound
Status: Complete

Set Fire to Rain

Everything

Two days into Christmas vacation and I felt like I was suffocating. Voldemort had been absent from the Malfoy manner during the two day period, but he had left behind many chores to attend too. Draco and I were to fill in Bellatrix and Snape in on the progress we were making at Hogwarts mending the cabinet, as well as training in duels to prepare for the castle invasion. When I wasn’t undergoing the cruciatus curse to “strengthen” me, I was perfecting the unforgivable curses.
Alone time with Draco was rare, for at night we were too tired and in pain to do anything but fall asleep. We barely spoke during the hours of training, fearing that if we got distracted, or showed to much care for one another, that Yaxley or one of the other death eaters would turn us on each other and make us practice horrid curses on each other.
Looking in the mirror in my room, I noticed how much I had changed. My eyes seemed paler, as if the light were filtering out of them. Purple bruises were under my eyes from the exhaustion and the lack of sleep. Nightmares plagued me every night. I would see Draco hurting me, torturing me; but I knew they were the visions that had been planted in my mind. Draco would never harm me. At least that’s what I told myself every night when I woke up, thrashing in my sheets.
My scar began to tingle suddenly, a sensation I had gotten used to when Voldemort had returned. The burn had faded into a simple, annoying sensation now, but it always alerted me of his presence. I walked out of the bathroom and took a few breaths to calm my mind as I left my room. I had not seen Voldemort since the night he chose to punish me.
Draco is just coming out of his bedroom as I walk into the darkly lit hall. He smiles at me and opens his arms as I walk straight into them. He his warm from a fresh shower, and I can smell his aftershave lightly on his skin, making me smile. I feel his lips on my head and as I often do, I wonder how I have managed to find something so perfect, so genuine in this life that I live.
“You know,” Draco murmured in my hair. His thumbs traced circles on my back. “You’re going to have to find a dress to where to the Christmas dinner.”
I smiled into the crook of his neck. “Yes, that’s tomorrow, isn’t it?”
He pulled away from me, his icy blue eyes covering every inch of my face, a smile playing on his lips. “I would like to formally ask if you will go as my date to the Christmas party, Miss Potter?”
I smiled brightly, feeling happy for the first time in what seemed like forever. “Of course, Mr. Malfoy, I would love to attend with a fine young gentleman like yourself.” He broke out in a smile, one of his rare ones, and kissed me on the lips, lingering there for a few moments before breaking away. “Come on, we best go down stairs, love.”
Down stairs the feeling of happiness slowly began to drain. It wasn’t because anything in particular was there, but because it was often very hard to be happy or any other emotion but indifference around Voldemort. Unless you were Bellatrix, who seemed to only be happy in his presence. But technically speaking, Bellatrix was a maniac, and she could find happiness in anything dark.
The smaller circle of Voldemorts followers were gathered in the parlor, sitting on couches and chairs that was furnished, black leather. The inner circle consisted of Lucius, who was still in Azkaban, Narcissa, Bellatrix, Snape, Yaxley, Dolohov, and Wormtail. Today, the full inner circle was there, including the Carrow siblings who were absolute terrors, Gibbons a dumb death eater, and Fenir Greyback, who is the worst sort of creature that this world could possibly breed. Looking at him makes me sick to my stomach and it takes everything not to show my disgust fro the child-killing werewolf.
“How kind of you to grace us with your presence, Draco, Reagan.” Voldemort’s voice is cold, and is filled with annoyance. Neither Draco nor I respond, knowing that his comment does not need a response. After fixing us each with what is usually bone-chilling stare, he continues speaking. “Now, when Draco has finished the final touches on mending the cabinet, you few will go into the school, and leave your mark there. They will know that nothing is out of my reach, that nothing can escape my power, even that wretched school.”
Bellatrix giggled with delight. “And what of the boy, my lord?”
“I was getting to that,” he hissed at her, his eyes burning with annoyance. Bellatrix whimpered visibly, shrinking back against the couch she shared with Narcissa, who made no expression.
“Potter thinks he’s untouchable,” Voldemort stated, forming his words as if he were talking about poison. “He thinks he is protected, and until the charm is gone when he comes of age, he is protected… but it does not mean we can’t cause him to doubt himself. I will select a few of you for a special… mission. Until then, you may go about your duties.”
Everyone stood and bowed, some disapparating from the Malfoy manner, others simply gliding into other rooms to discuss important matters. Draco made to move, but I did not follow, fixing Voldemort with a stare. He wanted to cause Harry pain- he wanted Harry to see that he could not save those he came in contact with. Voldmeort new just as well as I did, that Harry’s biggest fault was in trying to save others from harm. If he could harm the Weasley’s at their house…
“I would like to volunteer myself to go on this mission, my lord,” I spoke up. Voldemort did not look surprised to see my admission and I had to fight to keep my face placid.
“You will go where I tell you to go, Reagan. I do not need you for this particular matter.” His tone was dismissive and Draco touched my hand but I took a step forward. “I believe it would further my brother’s distress if he saw that not even his own sister would help him.”
Voldemort glided forward then, moving with a predatory grace that made me think of the giant basilisk in the chamber of secrets. His tone was filled with a dark malice when he spoke. “Are you defying my orders, Potter? I will have you exactly where I need you, at the Christmas party, is there something that is unclear about that?”
My eyes flicked to his hand, which was hidden in his robes. It was the exact spot that he stored his wand. One more word from me and he would kill me, or worse. I bowed my head, letting my face show fear and flush with fake embarrassment. “I-I am sorry my lord. Forgive me, I should not have spoken out of turn. I lose myself in my excitement sometimes. I shall leave at once.”
I left the room with something curling in my stomach, like a phantom fist reaching it’s fingers into my abdomen and squeezing all of my insides in it’s fist. This feeling, was the feeling of fear. I was scared to death of what Voldemort had planned, and I had to do everything in my power to stop it.
Everything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only a few chapters left guys (: then I'll start the sequel!