Status: Active

Let's Kill Tonight

12. You Don't Want To Know More

******************
Grace woke up with her heading spinning and stomach ready to heave. She was lying flat on the padding in the cell and rolled over on her side facing the cell door while groaning. Both her arms were aching and she couldn’t even look at them.

She had to get out of here and as soon as possible.

She couldn’t go through this anymore.

It took her a minute to realize someone standing outside the cage. She knew it would be Brendon and didn’t even bother to look up at him. She was so angry but so sick she didn’t want to use anymore effort then she needed to.

“Grace…”

She groaned in response not wanting to hear him talk. Brendon bent to look at her and she looked up at him to see his head tilted to the side looking right at her. She looked away from him and desperately wanted to crawl under the blankets in here, she was freezing and it was making her shiver.

“It’s amazing how pathetic humans are.” He sighed, “I barely did anything.”

She didn’t respond and Brendon frowned. He was hoping to get some kind of rise out of her. He was beginning to wonder if her body just couldn’t handle what he done. He knew he didn’t do much but she might be more sensitive than the others.

Brendon stood up and opened the cell to get to her. She tried to roll away from him but he simply reached in and pulled her out. She attempted to push away from him but failing pretty quickly. He propped her up against the cage and she struggled with trying to stay up.

Brendon looked down her arms, “You’re a mess.”

She looked up at him, “Leave me alone.”

“I can’t. I need you alive.” He walked over to a vampire near the entrance of the hallway. She hadn’t even seen him, “You need to eat and drink then we’ll talk about your friends.”

“What?”

Brendon walked back over to her and held out a bottle of water. She reached for it and taking it from him but letting it drop in her lap. She wanted to take a drink but just didn’t have the strength. She wanted to see if she could stop being dizzy first.

Brendon rolled his eyes before biting his wrist and leaning down close to her. He reached to pinch her nose and she tried to fight him off but couldn’t get far. Her mouth opened and he shoved his wrist against her mouth letting her get a small mouthful.

She groaned and tried to spit out the taste, “What the hell?”

Brendon shrugged, “I figured it’d help.”

Grace finally took a drink of water to wash the coppery taste out of her mouth. She felt herself be confused because the dizziness cleared right up and she felt better. She looked up at him wondering what the hell had happened but didn’t bother questioning it.

“You need to eat.”

“I don’t want to.” She looked away and out of the corner of her eye saw the other vampire come closer.

Brendon took whatever the vampire had before the vampire could reach Grace and lowered the tray near Grace as she looked back at them. It was some kind of soup, it smelled decent but she didn’t know if she could stomach it. Her stomach rumbled, she wanted it, more than anything she wanted to eat it.

She took it from him and starting taking a small spoonful. It wasn’t too hot and seemed to go down smoothly. She was just hoping Brendon was serious on not poisoning her. Though, at this point she was happy to eat.

Brendon dismissed the other vampire and plopped down on the ground sitting in front of Grace, “Your Pete is pretty interesting.”

“What makes you say that?”

“He’s a decent tracker. Knew exactly where you were. I’m almost jealous.” He sighed, “I can see why William found him as a threat.”

“They were here?”

Brendon nodded, “They didn’t do much, by the time I got out there, they scattered. Driving away to safety; scurrying away like little mice with a cat on their tails. I think they want to help but you they’re not stupid.”

“I don’t see why, you’re not that scary yourself.”

Brendon snickered, “God, you just don’t stop poking the bear do you?”

“Just kill me and get it over with.” She looked up at him, “I don’t want to keep doing this anymore.”

Brendon leaned forward, “Oh don’t you worry your little head, that right there is your last meal.”

Her voice was snide, “Thanks for the warning.”

She looked down at her soup not wanting to look at Brendon anymore then she needed to. Grace continued to eat thinking about Brendon’s last comment. Was he finally going to kill her? She inwardly panicked hoping that he wouldn’t and he was just joking. Maybe if he was planning something there would be a chance to escape.

“No wise cracks?”

“No, I’m trying to eat. You told me to eat so I am.”

When she finished Brendon had summoned a vampire to take the tray from Grace and she took the chance to stand. She stretched as Brendon stood. He looked over behind him and back to her, “Come on.”

“Where are we going?”

“You’re going to one of the bathroom to clean up. That and I’m sure you need to piss by now.”

She followed Brendon past the girls again not even bothering to look at them this time. She was sure all she’d see was a sea of glares and it wasn’t needed right now. Brendon turned towards a door and opened it while backing off to make sure Grace couldn’t run off. She slowly crept forward taking a step into the cold room.

The light flooded the room as she turned back to see Brendon had flicked the switch on. “You have about an hour.”

She watched him close the door and heard a lock click. She slightly panicked but figured she could be in a worse situation. She looked around seeing what she needed but still felt a little uneasy, “You expect me to trust this Brendon?”

She heard his voice from the door, “If you hurry then you don’t have anything to worry about. I’ll be out here so no one should enter for the most part.”

******


“Alright, I’m done.”

She heard the lock click and the door opened reveling Brendon with a slightly annoyed demeanor, “You took longer than an hour.”

She slowly walked past him, “I’m a girl Brendon; we never do anything on time.”

The irritation was in his tone, “I’m well aware.”

The two walked back silently to her little solitary cell once again ignoring the girls. Brendon watched her crawl back in and he closed the cage door, soon locking it after. She scooted back to be as far as from him as he could. She folded her legs near her and watched Brendon leave without another word.

He had to be scaring her or at least trying. Granted his attitude change but she wanted to call to a bluff.

She tensed as she heard someone walking towards her. When the girl appeared and Grace’s eyebrows furred, it was the one that took the key from her. The girl didn’t say anything as she approached the cell but quickly unlocked it.

Her voice was soft but raspy, “Come on, we have to hurry.”

“No, you’re setting me up. He’s setting me up.”

The girl shook her head, “No I’m working alone. Come on. The only reason I came to get you was because I had the key from you.”

Fuck it, Grace was going for it. She followed the girl running past the girls as the let out sounds of anger. Grace’s adrenaline was kicking in and not bothering to hear what they were bitching about. She just saw a blur pass her.

“Are you sure we’re not going to get caught?”

The girl spoke up, “They’re out feeding, hurry up.”

Grace stayed quiet as passed a table of different silverware near a sink. Grace picked up one of the small steak knives and kept it near her just in case someone snuck up in her. She was led up a set of stairs and eventually out a door to what seemed like a backyard. She could see it was indeed night time but the roses in the backyard captivated her.

“Don’t touch them, they’re Beckett’s. He’ll kill you if you hurt them. But they’re good in an emergency, the vampires get burned with they touch them.

“Thanks…?” She stayed behind the girl, “What is your name anyways?”

“Kate. Yours is Grace. Brendon talks about you a lot.”

Her question was spoken out loud rather than in her head, “Why?”

The two walked down the stepping stones through William’s roses, “You’re different from us. Something is different in you then us.”

Silence overcame the two as they continued to walk towards what looked like a wooded area. A rather dark, scary wooded area Grace had noted. She never did well in the woods. She had too many bad memories.

“Is this safe?”

“Yes, this is the way they won’t be expecting us. Besides, it’s going to be raining so it will cover our scent better and we can hide till the sun rises. We just need to be deep enough in.”

Grace was happy she still had her good sneakers on. She made sure no matter what she had her shoes on in case she needed to run especially after the first night and now she was thankful because she was climbing over dead moss covered trees and other rough conditions that being barefoot would have ended badly.

She gripped the knife tighter as they continued. Grace wasn’t too sure she’d want it to rain. She already was in thin grungy clothes and it was cold out here but if it did mean covering her tracks she’d take it.

Eventually the two reached a small creek in front of them and Kate easily jumped the clearing to the other side slightly slipping on the soft ground. Grace shook her head before backing up to get a running start before jumping to meet Kate. The water looked freezing; Grace felt a sense of relief when she met the clearing without too much of a problem, thankful for Kate’s tug to pull her away from the running water.

“Did you hear that?”

Grace froze, “Hear what?”

“Shit, he must know.”

Grace looked around, “What?”

Kate stood tall in front of Grace looking right into her eyes, “You need to run. Just keep going that way as far as you can. I think Brendon is out here. Let me distract him. Worst comes to worst, climb a tree and don’t move. Brendon can sense the smallest movement.”

Grace was uneasy; she still felt she was being set up by this girl, “I’m not too sure.”

Grace was shoved towards the deeper darker parts of the woods, “Go. Hurry.”

She didn’t need to be told twice. She booked it without looking back. She decided she was better off alone anyways. Granted she’d be conquering one of her greatest fears but she didn’t want to die. No, not yet at least.

Kate on the other hand watched Brendon drop down from one of the trees, “Well played Katherine.”

“Kate.” Her voice was soft, “I did what you asked. Can I go now? You promised if I helped you-”

Brendon couldn’t help but laugh, “Oh you’re so pathetic. I save you from Carden, keep you safe, and when I ask you to do a favor and all you can think about is the reward if you do well, so selfish.”

Her bottom lip slightly quivering as Brendon walked closer, “I’m not trying to be.”

“No, I think you are.” Brendon circled her slowly, “See, I told you I may release you if you do what I ask. You do half of the job and expect a reward. You are being selfish in thinking about yourself and your safety.”

Brendon’s eyes were dark and Kate didn’t like the way this conversation was heading, “I’m sorry Brendon, it’s just its starting to rain and I figured this was how far you wanted. You never told me how far to go.”

Brendon snarled kicking the back of her knees with such force it sent her to the ground cringing in pain trying to hold back any noise, “I told you a mile in.” Brendon reached for the back of her head to tilt it back so she’d look up at him, “And I know you’re an avid hiker so you should know about how far that is. Don’t you?”

All she could focus on was the pearly white fangs poking out ready to take her life, “I’m sorry Brendon. I panicked.”

“Well, now it’s going to cost you.” She stopped holding back the tears, “I was going to let you go but I can’t now.”

“Please…”

“You didn’t keep your end of the bargain. So I believe I’m being fair.” He was beaming ear to ear seeing her so frightened, “I’m keeping my end of the deal. You should have tried harder.”

He let her go as she quickly started to crawl while attempting to stand. Brendon gave her about another ten feet of running before appearing in front of her catching her arms pulling her closer to him. Kate struggled under his grip with the new adrenaline and Brendon felt excitement.

She continued before he let go to quickly catch her by the throat. She stopped and he felt her whole body shake from the cold rain now coming down as well as her fear. He chuckled, “Scream for me.”

Grace had stopped in her tracks when she heard the scream. Her blood ran cold knowing that had to be Kate and she gripped onto the knife harder. She needed to keep moving and fast. She started running again trying to create some distance but the rain making her cold if not numb. She remembered that it could cover her tracks but the ground would become soaked leaving her marks. She tried to work under drier spots of land to try to conceal her path as best she could.

She wasn’t going to let herself be caught and sure as hell not by Brendon.

********
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh, I apologize for the much delayed updated. Some of you already know but those who don't I have been going through this whole process of my mother's death, the lawsuit and finally getting my life back together. But! The semester if almost over and I'll have tons of time to write and catch up. The nice thing is I already have tons of this written I just needed to connect the too. Can you forgive me for the delay? I do love you guys and appreciate the support. And to all of you that comment all the time and stay so devoted, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Image
Predictions?