Status: Active

Let's Kill Tonight

4. The Art of the Night

*********

It had been a few nights since Grace had that encounter with Brendon. She’d been helping around the house to make it livable for Pete while keeping him fed so he wouldn’t take a bit out of her or Patrick.

She felt that he was coming to a pattern. He was sleeping almost a full day and staying up for most of the night. He’d been getting adjusted to his new senses and abilities. Which she didn’t know was a good thing or a bad thing. All she cared about was the fact that hadn’t bitten anyone since.

She did notice she was spending a lot of her time thinking of Brendon. She just couldn’t shake him away from her thoughts. He had let her go again. That’s what was puzzling her. She couldn’t figure out a reason why he would let her go if he was so set on killing anyone who got in his way.

He wanted something. She didn’t know what but he wanted something from her. She figured it was probably blood but if he wanted he would have taken it already. She questioned herself even more. He could wait to take her blood because he didn’t waste it.

She hadn’t told Patrick about the incident because he was under enough stress. Though, he seemed to like having her around. The got to sit together at have little moments to themselves that brought so many memories to surface once more. Even stories they swore that never would be spoken of again.

It was all in for a good laugh.

They had moved to other conversations. Pete was taking about wanting revenge but Patrick wanted to approach it as a safe attempt to learn more about them and try not to get each other killed.

So they came to a compromise.

If they could isolate a couple of vampires then they could get what information they needed and then kill them to stop them from killing again. Grace wasn’t too fond of the idea of killing someone but Pete brought up the point that they were monsters and needed to be killed.

Grace glared at him, “But you’re a vampire.”

Pete pointed at himself, “I’m the exception. I’m not killing people.”

Patrick sighed, “How are we going to even kill them? I know Joe can shoot and Andy is good with a sword if you’re lucky.”

Pete shrugged, “Then we train each other. I’m strong. You guys an practice on me.”

Grace let her thoughts take her away and let the boys talk. She looked at the window leading out to the street and it took her a few seconds to realize someone was standing out there. Not close to the window but close enough she could see the smirk on his face.

She saw Brendon motion for her to come out and over to him. She shook her head slightly and he gave her a playful pout. He waited a few more seconds before dematerializing and leaving her with a view of a cold Chicago street.

She was hoping it was all a trick her mind was playing and nothing else.

She didn’t want to think of him being out there.

But of a part of her so badly wanted to get up and go out there. She was beginning to wonder if it was something he did that made her so curious. So willing to step into danger to see him.

“Guys?”

They both looked at her and Patrick answered, “Yeah?”

“Do vampires–Can vampires do mind control?”

Patrick furred his eyebrows, “There are stories that some vampires can. It’s called compulsion or something I don’t know. I can look into if you want.”

She nodded, “It might help us out.”

She excused herself and headed up stairs to her new room. She didn’t really have anything in there except for the bed and a few of her items she left in Patrick’s care when she was a kid.

She was planning on moving in with him. Her best friend was going to ship all her stuff here. She was going to get a job and help pay her rent and all that. Now, she didn’t want to. There were vampires here. She wasn’t safe where she was. At least she thought so.

She wanted to stay here but she didn’t want to have to be locked up at night.

“Grace.”

She heard the voice come from the window. She had the blinds closed but she knew it came from over there. She couldn’t bring herself to go over there. Too many late night scary movie marathons reminded her not to go over to that window.

She recognized Brendon’s voice, “Come on now Grace.”

She rushed over to the window and pulled on the cord to lift the blinds up and away. She stared out to darkness and she could have cried. The fear running through her veins almost drove her sick. He was playing games with her now.

Brendon couldn’t help himself. The sight of fear on her face excited him. He didn’t even have to see her to remember it. It was already imprinted on his memory. Now this psychological game he was playing with her only helped fuel the memory.

He was lying on his back in bed. His arms were up above his head resting on the pillows where his head rested in the palms of his hands. His legs crossed and eyes closed. He was only focusing on her. Using a special gift William had passed on to him and him alone.

He didn’t know how it worked entirely but he knew one taste of a certain human’s blood he could do a handful of mental things that would could drive a person mad. He could speak to them telepathically, take a glance at their memories, implant any vision he wanted, and affect dreams. William told him he could force them do to do what he wanted but it would take time.

Brendon has had over a hundred years and he still couldn’t get it right. He’d been close but no cigar. He always wanted to master it all but never really could. He didn’t know what was holding him back but practice made perfect.

He could see the rise and fall of her breathing as she shut the blinds quickly. He liked the childhood fear she had now shown him. He smirked to himself and started to pick at ideas. He wanted to scare her. Make her scream just for him.

He couldn’t help himself.

“Grace.”

She spun around in her room, “What do want?”

Your scream,“You’re so scared. There is no reason to be scared. I’m farther away then I sound like I am.”

“You’re doing this telepathically aren’t you?”

He nodded even though she couldn’t see him, “Bingo.”

“Why are you doing this? More of your amusement?”

“Something on the lines of that.”

She sat down on her bed and continued to look around the room. He voice sounded so close and the though of it being in her head scared her. She couldn’t believe he was doing this. Now she feared what ever else he could do.

“And before you ask, no, Pete can’t do this. Only William and I can.”

She started to remove the hair tie from her hair, “Got lucky did you?”

He felt the smile on his face dance across his cheeks, “Now now, no need to get all jealous on me.”

She let out a sarcastic laugh and laid down on her bed, “How long do I have to listen to you?”

“I think you should embrace the time I’m there with you.”

She shook her head, “You’re not here with me.”

He let out a light chuckle, “I can be.”

She felt the shiver run through her like the temperature of the room had dropped twenty degrees in a matter of second. She rubbed her cool arms trying to get the raised hairs to calm down and send the goose bumps away.

“I’d rather you not be here.”

“Why? Afraid that tank top is showing too much skin? Nice belly button ring by the way.”

She bolted up in bed pulling her shirt down over the skin that had been exposed. She looked around the room once more making sure he wasn’t there and she laid back down this time holding the edge of her tank to her shorts.

She spoke softer, “Don’t you need to be invited in anyways?”

He didn’t mind sounding brash, “I’m not worried about that part.”

She didn’t mind being a little snappy, “Over confident much?”

He stretched out on his bed mumbling an ‘Always’ as she had yawned. She was tired. The bags under her eyes told him so ever so clearly. He was tempted to keep harassing her but he figure he might have more fun messing with her dreams. It was very tempting.

“Get some sleep. The crypt keeper look is unattractive.”

She rolled her eyes, “You’re so kind.”

He laughed his time, “Oh, only when I want to be. Goodnight Grace. Don’t have too many nightmares.”

He opened his eyes and looked at the ceiling of his room. Of course he was going to mess with her dreams. He was going to drive her absolutely insane, to the point where she would come find him and tell him to stop.

Then he’ll take her and keep her in the house with him. Then he can have that blood at anytime he wants. He didn’t mind the extra work it would take to keep her healthy, the blood was worth it.

He nearly started drooling at the thought.

***********
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading guys and being so supportive. <3
Please comment and subscribe. :D The more you do the faster you get updates.