Status: Being Revised. Thoughts and Opinions are always welcomed

Alone

Alone

I woke up to whimpering. I looked around and saw Bubba in the corner of the room shaking and whimpering. I sighed, but got out of bed anyways.

I didn’t know how to ask the dog what was wrong without talking so I tried hand signals. It didn’t work that well. The puppy ended up looking at me like I was some stupid animal. I thought it over again. I decided on trying to mouth the words. Then it dawned on me, this little guy was a puppy he wasn't going to understand anything I threw his way. So I decided to watch him for a minute and think up reasons why he would be whimpering. He had food, water, yesterday I bought him this rug thing that he could pee on that way I wouldn’t have to take him out, and he had toys to play with.

I sighed and just shook my head. I picked him up and went back over to my bed. I laid down with him in my arms. In minutes he was asleep. I smiled at him then looked over at the clock. 5:30. Classes started at 8. I needed to go to school today. I hadn’t gone back to my classes yesterday. I set an alarm on my clock for 7 then cuddled into the puppy and fell asleep quickly.

“Come here.” My mother said to me. I slowly made my way to her. She had something in her hands behind her back. I was afraid to see what it was.

I didn’t know where my dad was and that scared me a lot. When I got to my mom I felt hands on my shoulders. I knew who it was immediately. My father started lifting my shirt up. I tried fighting him, but I was only 13 and he was way stronger than I was. I started silently crying.

“Oh don’t cry baby, it’ll hurt and then maybe tomorrow it won’t hurt as much.” I guess those were my mothers comforting words of the night. I cried harder.

“Please stop.” I said in a tiny voice.

“We will in an hour or so.”

“Please mommy. Daddy?” I tried calling to either one of them. They were both lost to the world and to me.

One minute I was holding my arms in front of my naked torso and the next I felt a searing pain on my back. I cried out now. Screaming and begging them to stop. But they only laughed and kept burning me with the fire poker.


I shot up in bed. I was sweating and my alarm was going off. I felt my face and it was wet with tears. I wiped my face and sighed it was the same dream every night.

I looked around for Bubba. I saw him curled up on one of my pillows. I smiled to myself and then forced myself out of bed. I got ready for the day then went to get breakfast. I walked past my roommates and saw them still both asleep. I’d wake them up on my way back to my room. I grabbed a bowl of cereal and headed back to my room. I went into Bianca’s room and shook her awake. She tried smacking at me, but I backed up before she could get me.

“What is it Kirsten?” I sighed and shook my head then left her room to go to mine. On the way I stopped at Erins' and pounded on her door. I heard a scream. I took that as a signal that she was awake.

Once in my room I put more food and water into Bubba’s dishes. I switched the rug out and made sure everything was out. I grabbed the stuff I would need for the day and I shut my door and locked it from the outside. I went back to Bianca’s room. She wasn’t in bed anymore so I assumed she had gotten up and was in the shower or something. I heard moving in Erins' room as well, so I knew she was awake.

After I grabbed a water bottle I headed out. It was only 7:30 so I had some time to spare. I decided to walk along the jogging path they had. On my way I found a bench and sat down. I pulled the book I had been reading for a while. It was The Wind Blows Backwards. As childish as it may have seem it was still a book I loved to read. I was into the book, so I didn’t notice someone sit beside me until they cleared their throat. I looked up and to my side to see Chris. I gave him a small wave then went back to my book.

“Hey Kirsten, watcha doin?” He asked. I showed him my book.

“Is it any good?” I nodded.

“Yeah I don’t read much.” I kinda figured that.

“So I didn’t see you at school yesterday.” I wrote down that I was sick.

“But I saw you at the assembly.” I then wrote that I got sick after lunch. A good thing about being mute is that it’s easy to lie.

“Hmm, well that sucks. So will I see you in class today?” I nodded. He glanced at something on his wrist then his eyes were on me again.

“It’s 7:50, so you wanna head to the school?” I nodded, put my stuff back in my bag, and stood up. I waited for him then we started walking towards the school.

“So, Kirsten, what’s it like to be a mute?” I looked at him like he was stupid. Was that supposed to be a joke?

“Okay, okay, sorry. So where are you from?” I thought about it for a moment. The orphanage was from Virginia, so I guess if anyone asked I was from Virginia.

I wrote down Virginia in my notebook and showed it to him.
He nodded and we kept on walking.

“I’m from Jersey. Not that you asked or anything, I just thought I might tell you.” I smile and nodded.

“So do you think you’ll ever talk again?” I shrugged not knowing.

“Hmm, well I would really love to hear your voice sometime.” I nodded again. I looked up and saw that we were at the school. I waved bye to Chris and went in.

They had lockers here so I went to find mine. I soon found it and went to put the things I didn’t need in it. I was finishing up when both lockers on my sides were opened. I looked to my right to Leo and then I looked to my left to see Chris.

They both smiled at me when I looked at them. I sighed and left to find my homeroom. I had Mrs. Rahn for my homeroom teacher.

I finally found her and entered the room just as the bell rang. She wasn’t in there so I was glad for that. I looked for a seat and found one in a back corner beside a window. It was the perfect seat for me.

A few minutes went by until the teacher came in. She was dressed in a flowing skirt, a colorful shirt, and a jean jacket. She seemed retro to me.

“Okay class, sorry I’m late. But let’s begin before the bell rang. Now we’ll start off with roll call.”

She started naming off the names from her roster. When she came to mind I just raised my hand. I was admiring the view from the window when I felt a note hit my hand. I looked down at the note and then I looked to my left. It was Leo. I hadn’t even noticed him sit down beside me. I opened the note and read it.

Hey what happened to you yesterday? I wrote back and then tossed it back.

I just had to get out of there. Did you guys use the money I left?

Why? And no Zachy was going to, but Bianca took it from him and was going to give it back to you. I sighed.

Because I don’t like talking about me. Uh, I’m just going to let her keep it then.

Why? And she’s going to give it back to you no matter what.

Because it’s something I don’t feel comfortable doing, so drop it please? No matter what I’m not taking the money back.

Fine whatever. She’s never gonna keep the money.

Thanks. Yes she will, I’ll make her. I tossed the note back and the bell rang at the same time. I got up quickly and went to look for my next class.

It wasn’t until I found my science class that I reminded myself that I would never be able to get rid of Leo, because we had a couple other classes together. I sighed then went and sat down at one of the lab stations. There were 3 to a station. So, when Leo walked in with Bianca I knew who my partners were. They waved to me and sat on either side of me. The minute Bianca settled herself, she looked to me and handed me the money I laid down on the table at Mozzy yesterday. I sighed and turned away from her and looked towards Leo. I asked him with my eyes if he would explain to her. He patted my shoulder then started talking to Bianca.

“No Leo, she needs to take her money back.”

“Sorry Bianca she told me she doesn’t want it.”

“How could she have told you anything she’s a mute?”

“Well she wrote it then.”

“Well I don’t care how she told you; she needs to take her damn money.”

“Bianca she is as stubborn as you are.” Bianca huffed and rolled her eyes. I smiled at her and patted her shoulder.

She shrugged me off and looked forward. I knew she didn’t like this, but she was just going to have to go with it. I thanked Leo with a smile and turned towards the front to try and pay attention to the teacher. Though it was hard because he was old and it was kind of hard to understand what he was saying.

The rest of my day kind of went like this except after lunch I came back to my classes.

My last class of the day was Art and it was really the only class I was excited about. I walked into the class and saw that everything was spread out. Nothing was close together. I wasn’t the first person in their. I went to the back and saw one place that was alone in the corner, but it was lighted from the light outside which was perfect for me. I waited for the bell to ring and the teacher to come in. The bell finally did ring and the teacher came in at the same time. I also noticed this time when Leo came in and got the next little area beside mine.

“Okay people, Reminder, I’m Mr. Lingerfuller, but you must call me Mr.L, I will not answer to anything else.” We all nodded and he went on.

“Okay so since this is the second day for us let’s finish up what we started yesterday.” Everyone nodded again and got out paper and the drawing utensil they were using.

I looked over to Leo for help, but he was busy, and I couldn’t get his attention. I sighed and looked around for some clue as to what to do. I was about to give up and do my own thing when the teacher came over to me.

“I don’t remember seeing you in my class yesterday.” I shook my head.

“Ah so you’re the mute girl I’ve heard so much about.” I just glared at him.

“Sorry, anyways yesterday we just started drawings of our own. Today is the last day to do it so get started and finished.” I nodded and got out my stuff.

I didn’t know what to do, so I just sat there. I let my hands do whatever they wanted until I looked down and saw that a picture was coming to life. I smiled to myself and started finishing what my hands had started. I was almost done with the picture when the bell rang. I looked over the creation. It was a maze that looked three-dimensional, I made sure that I used darker shades and there was no way out, only dead end after dead end. I smiled and put my stuff away. I was heading out when I heard the teacher call me back to his desk.

“Can I see what you drew?” I shrugged and got out my drawing and gave it to him. He looked it over a moment then gave it back to me.

“It’s good I can tell you still have to finish it, but it’s good.” I nodded.

“Are you planning on majoring in the arts for college?” I shrugged I hadn’t thought about college at all. I mean how would I get in anyways.

“Well you should really think about it. You may even be able to graduate early, only maybe though.” I smiled and nodded.

“Okay, Ms. Lite you may go.” I nodded and left.

All the way home I thought about going to college. I thought about what I would major in, how I would get in, and which college I would go to.