Livin' on the Edge

Beatrice

I backed away slightly from the front door, unsure on exactly why Sean would be here. As much as I didn't want to believe it, I knew he was here for the same reason that Matt and Jimmy were. I swallowed my voice and began to cry. I didn't understand. He was a doctor at St. Josephs hospital, where I worked out of as well. Why would be end up being one of the bad guys?

"Surprised to see me?"He chuckled."I would be too. This is Norman. He'll be an aid in this procedure."

I didn't know if it was because realization kicked in, or that I was angry. Yet within seconds I found myself recoiling back at his sick humor.

"You fuck!"Despite the metal links digging into my hips, I reached forward and tangled my thin fingers into the hem of his shirt."We were friends!"

"Calm down, sweetheart!"Matt pulled back on the chain as Sean reached up for my wrists.

"Were friends?!"Norman wrapped a hefty arm around my neck and began cutting off my wind pipe."I'd like to think we could stay friends after this! Maybe a little more."

I grabbed at Norman's arm as he pulled mee off of Sean. I tried to choke out a question, but Norman's tight grip on my wind pipe refused to let me do so. He loosened his grip slightly, allowing me to choke out, "Why me?"

Sean kicked the door shut behind him and happily flipped the lock. He started to walk toward us, a smug smirk pressed tight to his lips.

"Money has a way of changing a man. It's obvious your parents are just as wealthy as you are. You're house has been taken care of, so why not up our rations a bit?"He stated smoothly.

"You're just collateral damage."Norman snickered.

"Now, my fine man,"Sean slapped a hand on Norman's back."do you care to keep hold of this lovely young woman while we collect the goods?"

"My pleasure.'Norman released his grip around my neck, but was quick to walk me back into the living room.

I held back a sob as I sat by Terry's side. I pulled her head into my lap and brushed back her hair with shaking fingers. I knew I was useless against these four men. Especially if one of them could easily keep me in place. I was more afraid for Terry's sake. What did these men, or Sean, plan on doing with us when they were done? Matt happily handed over the leash from my chain to Norman within a few seconds. Sean looked at both Jimmy and Matt before saying, "Anything you want, take. Let's go boys!"

The three of them left the living room, leaving Terry, Norman and me. Norman sat on the couch adjacent to us and smiled. I took in a quick breath when Terry began to shift. I was happy to know she would be okay, but I was also hoping she would stay out cold while these monsters ransacked the house. Terry opened her swollen eyes and began to panic. She sat up quickly and pressed a gentle hand to her temple. She looked over at Norman, who gave her a wave, and I could literally see the colour drain from her face. She looked back at me before starting to cry.

"She's awake."Norman smirked.

I pulled Terry into a hug and shot him an angry glare. Terry began to jump every time we heard a loud bang or shouting from the other rooms. They were simply tearing the place apart in search for something good. She laced her fingers around the metal links and whimpered quietly.

"It's okay, Terry."I cooed."It's okay."

"What's going on?"She whispered.

I pushed her head into my shoulder, trying to shield her from any unnecesarry noises or people.

"It'll be over soon. Just stay calm."I sighed.

"Hey, sweetheart, why don't you come sit over here?"Norman gave a small tug on the chain leash.

"I'd rather not."I spat.

"Oh, trust me, you want to."He pulled harder on the chain, forcing me to slide off of the couch.

Terry gasped in fear as Norman climbed to his feet. I pushed myself up against the couch and looked up at Terry. Norman stood in front of me within a few quick strides and chuckled quietly.

"Let me help you there beautiful."He reached down to grab onto my hands when my adrenaline kicked in.

In one quick movement, I brought my leg up and kicked Norman in the groin. The heavenly sound of the leash hitting the floor was all I needed to get going. Norman cupped himself and fell over, shouting multiple profanities in my direction. I grabbed the leash and Terry's hand before scrambling to my feet. No words were spoken as we ran to the hallway door. I nearly had a heart attack when we reached Beatrice's door. I quickly swung it open and pushed Terry through. I locked it behind us and shouted, "Find a place to hide and do not come out no matter what. I love you, Terry."

Terry wallowed in her tears for a few seconds before following through with my demand. She escaped down the few steps as I tried to think. I knew one thing for sure and that was that I needed to find a phone. I froze up when the hall light turned on. Beatrice stepped over, dressed head to toe in pajamas. She jumped slightly when banging and shouting occured on the other side of the duplex.

"Halle, are you okay?"She seemed scared, which was completely understandable.

"Beatrice! You need to hide! I'll explain - "Both of our heads turned when my name filtered through the air.

We both let out a cry as the hall door was kicked open forcefully. I screamed suddenly, however, when Jimmy made his way in Beatrice's direction.

"No!"I went to move forward, but Sean angrily pulled me away from them."Run!"

I pushed hard against Sean's chest, trying to force him into releasing me. I let out one last scream when Jimmy swung his fist around, connecting it with Beatrice's head. She collapsed onto the wooden floor, making me flinch slightly at the sudden drop. Sean wrapped his fingers in my hair and pulled my head back. I looked up at him with watery eyes as he growled, "Wrong fucking move, Halle."