Diablo:The Beginning of new Anguish

Chapter 2 Devastation

As the demon charged at me I fired three arrows in rapid succession. To my dismay they hit but not where I wanted them to.

The demon continued on not phased by the arrows laughing in delight as he closed in on me.

I pulled out another arrow and aimed carefully and willed this one to finish it off.

As it approached I let go and the arrow flew right threw its head. It fell over instantly dead.

I smiled at my work but a little disappointed it took much more out of me than it should have. I turned and ran deeper into the forest.

I heard a howl as I started running. I knew one of the demons found there companion and was eager for a hunt.

I sensed it running at amazing speeds as it was following my scent. I felt this demon was bigger than the last and knew I would be in for a fight when it caught up to me.

I pressed on hard avoiding every obstacle hoping to get as far away from the pursuing demon as I could.

I felt the demon approaching behind me fast. I had no idea how far away it was, I was not going to turn around fearing it might slow my pace down and even a mere second hesitation could mean life or death.

Suddenly I felt the hair on the back of my neck stick up, I couldn't help but glance back and to my dismay the demon was mere feet away. I nearly toppled over, I cursed myself for looking. I pulled my bow out and notched an arrow and quickly turned and fired.

The demon easily avoided the arrow and my heart sank as I watched it fly into a tree.

“I have you now puny human.” It said in a deep voice.

I pulled out another arrow and concentrated a little more and fired.

The demon went to slap it out of the way but the arrow was faster than he expected and it struck him in the chest.

“You'll pay for that.” He rasped as he pulled it out and licked his blood off of it.

I didn't hesitate I fired three more arrows in rapid succession. The first hit it in the chest again the other in the arm and the third was aimed at its head.

The demon fell on its knee. “You'll have to do better than.” He swung his club at me.

I tried to duck but I was unprepared and it hit me launching me into the side of a tree.

The demon got up and stood over me. “Time to say goodnight.” He raised his club over me and began its descent.
I grabbed an arrow and stabbed it in his foot and rolled out of the way.

He roared in pain as his club struck the base of the tree.

I got up and fired two arrows into the back of his neck.

He let out a huge deafening roar. I fired another arrow into the back of his head

The demon finally fell over.

I did not stand around and wait for whatever happened next. I put the bow away and quickly started running toward the nearest village. Hopefully the demons did not get to them yet. I had my doubts though.

As I ran through the forest my mind played back twenty years ago when the three prime evils Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal walked the world. Demons roamed and destroyed everything.

Things seemed easier back then, I could shoot an arrow and easily kill a demon but this time its different. Something is wrong these demons are smarter and stronger than before.

I sensed people ahead. I got a funny feeling about approaching them but they must be warned about the demon threat. Even if they did not listen I would be at a peace of mind knowing they were warned and if they did not heed it that was there problem.

As I came into a small clearing I noticed five robed men standing around a campfire. They were chanting something, I stopped and made my presence known to them but they did not notice or chose to ignore me.

I felt dark magic around them. Something was not right, I pulled out my bow and notched an arrow. “Speak.” I commanded them.

They continued chanting. Suddenly I felt something threatening me. I would not stand around if they were evil I would have none of it.

I fired my arrow into one of the robed man's neck. He fell over on the fire and was dead immediately. The others did not seem to notice this and continued chanting.

I fired three more and got ready to fire a fourth when something I could even fathom began to happen.

The other three fell dead but the last one exploded. I ducked avoiding the projectile's but blood splattered my attire.

Where the robed figure used to stand now a snarling demon stared at me. It roared at me and I could sense the strength in this demon was extraordinary and I could tell he was angry.

I fired the arrow at him but he quickly avoided it and charged at me.

I launched two more arrows in quick succession, one missed but the other hit him in the neck. I backed up as he continued running at me not even phased.
I quickly moved out of the way of its charge.

It climbed up the tree hissing at me. Apparently my arrow did some damage.

I launched another arrow but he quickly started moving to the top of the tree's. I searched for him but suddenly it got quiet and I could not see the demon or hear his movement among the three.

I closed my eyes and began to focus on the demon trusting my instincts would not fail me again. I turned slightly to my right and launched the arrow into the tree.

I opened my eyes and focused on the silence. It was to silent and it made me uncomfortable. There were no wild life around like there should be to bring the forest alive.

After a long silence and pause I heard a deep roar as the demon fell from a nearby tree with an arrow sticking out of its head.

I smiled to myself hoping I will have more successful kills like this one. I quickly put my bow away wiped the blood off my face and continued my run toward the next town.

I could sense I was the only one in the forest, which brought me comfort knowing that no demon was following me but I was concerned about the wildlife in the forest. Had they fled or were they killed? I assume they fled since there is no signs of demonic activity in the forest save the last two encounters.

As I approached the outskirts of the mighty city of Bramwell I sensed demonic activity nearby. I tried to quicken my pace to try and warn the residents of the city of the incoming attack and hope they would not dismiss me as insane.

As I ran out of the forest my heart sank. The demons were already here and the city was under siege.

I watched as the people fought valiantly to defend there city but the demons were stronger and there was more of them.

I pulled out my bow in frustration and anger thinking of all those innocent women and children and men getting slaughtered and ripped in half. I thought to myself if I could at least kill one of those bastards I would be satisfied.

I notched an arrow and took aim at a demon in the distance standing outside of the town probably channeling evil magic.

“Not on my watch.” I muttered as I let go of the arrow willing it to strike the demon in the head. To my satisfaction it did.

I watched the other demons around him look around confused searching for the source of the arrow. I smiled thinking why should I stop at one? What about two? Or three? I could take them all!
I launched more arrows at demons casting spells striking them dead where they stood.

I laughed continuing to fire. Suddenly I heard a small voice, it seemed to originate in my head. Run. I stopped for a moment, why should I? I can kill so many more of them.

"Run." I heard the voice inside my head tell me. I stopped and gathered my senses. I took in a deep breath and listened for the voice again. “Why should I?” I said aloud. “The demons have destroyed everything.”

"There are more heroes like you gathering. Run."

I stood up “Where?” I asked. I heard nothing more.

I watched the chaos inside the town for a moment decided what choice did I have? I ran.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a hint into the future. A description of a demons death may sound kina strange but remember...Demons are tough and they like revenge. ;)