Status: Thank you. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as i enjoyed writting it :)

I Dare Not Ask Who's Been Helping You Fall Asleep

Little Challenges

Over the next few weeks after the in store incident. Alex and I went on little challenges. I know it sounds weird, trust me it was. The challenges weren’t really challenging they were actually pretty simple, but to Alex they were torture…

At school I made him either wave or say hi to every girl he passed in the hallway. In math class, I told him to ask the girl sitting next to him if he could borrow a pencil, but then when she offered it to him say, ‘it’s okay I already have a pencil. I just wanted an excuse to talk to you.’ Really easy stuff like that just to get him more comfortable around girls. I’m sad to say that for awhile he failed. He failed miserably.

However, today was Saturday so we were taking a break. Okay, not really a break, because today we were fixing his hair. My mom dropped us off in front of a hair salon. I literally had to drag him inside and force him to sit in the chair. He kicked his legs and crossed his arms.

“Why do I have to get my hair did?” He asked.

“Because your hair looks like a dried up mop.” I said simply.

A guy sitting across from us started to laugh.

“What are you laughing at?” Alex asked bitterly.

The kid looked up from his ipod. He was tall and had pitch black hair. “Dude, she’s right. Your hair does look like a mop.”

“So? Like yours is much better.”

The guy scoffed. “Hey, you don’t need to tell me. I know my hair’s crap. That’s why I’m getting blonde highlights.”

Alex looked up at me with venom in his eyes. “I better not be getting highlights.” He warned.

“Or you’ll what?” I teased. “Stutter me to death.”

“I do-do not stutter… fuck! Okay, that was an accident.” Alex whined.

The kid who was going to get skunk hair laughed again, “Are you guys dating? You sound like an old couple.”

“No!”

“Really? Could have fooled me.”

I tried my best not to blush.

“Who the hell are you anyways?” Alex asked.

“The names Jack. Jack Barakat. I’m pretty much awesome in every single way possible.” He said grinning. “Nice to meet you Jack, I’m Jasmine. I’m new to Baltimore.”

“It is not nice to meet him. He’s a dick.” Alex said angrily.

“Shut up Alex. He’s not that bad.”

“Says the girl whose only friend is a social reject.”

“Are you forgetting who that social reject is?”

Alex groaned.

“Dating.” Jack sang. I didn’t know I was holding my breath until the hair stylist walked out from the back room causing me to breathe a sigh of relief.

“Jakob!” Jack said excitedly. “What took you so long? Don’t tell me, were you taking a dump?”

The man called Jakob. Kicked Jack’s chair so he spun around and faced the mirror.

“You better watch your mouth or you’re getting a buzz cut.”

Jack’s smile faltered. “Shutting up.”

Alex and I watched Jakob add blonde streaks to Jack’s hair, because that’s what they ended up being. You can’t really put highlights in black hair if you want them to show.

Jack checked himself out in the mirror. He turned and grinned at us, “Okay, I lied earlier. Now I’m awesome in every possible way.”

Jakob walked over to us. “Okay, now what will we do for you?”

Alex gulped and prepared himself for the worst…

------x------

Which actually turned out to be for the best.

After ten minutes of staring at himself in the mirror. He assessed himself, “Damn, I look good.”

I laughed and pulled him away from the mirror, “Keep telling yourself that, pretty boy.”

He stuck is tongue out at me.

We went to the salon’s main desk to pay, but Jakob stopped me, “What about you?” He asked.

I stared at him confused, “What about me?”

“We are going to give you a makeover too!” He said excitedly, clapping his hands together. He grabbed my hands.

I looked at Alex horrified as I sat down. “Wait! No! Wait, I’m not paying for this.”

Jakob smirked and spun me around in the chair, “Don’t worry about it. It’s on the house.”

“Payback’s a bitch.” Alex said with a lopsided grin on his face.

I frowned at myself in the mirror.

“I thought you liked your new look, Mr. ‘Damn I Look Good’.” I mumbled.

“And I thought friends do drastic things for their friends.”

“Who said I was your friend?” I teased.

Alex crossed his arms. “Well, excuse me.”

I smiled, “You’re excused.”

But really I was smiling at the fact that Alex had officially called me his friend.