Status: I love comments :)

How to Save a Life

The Root Of Zane's Worry

Zane’s Point Of View

When I awoke I found myself curled into Emily’s warm side. My face was pressed to her shoulder and my arm was still lightly over her waist. She was breathing softly with her face in my hair. A smile creeped onto my face, I’m still so glad that she is alive. If I had lost her I don’t know what I would’ve done, she is my everything, nothing would be worth it without her.

She stirred a bit fingers clutching onto my shirt. Whimpering a bit. That hurt me, I know she is still in pain and I can’t do anything about it. I was supposed to protect her, how could I ever let this happen. Its all my fault.

“Zane?” She whispered. Clutching on a bit tighter to my shirt. I began to stroke her hair back, knowing she was having a nightmare. “Mh.”

“Emily?” I called, shaking her carefully. Not wanting to hurt her at all, no matter what I do I can’t hurt her. It didn’t take long before those big brown eyes opened. Yawning a little bit before she looked up at me.

“Hm, what’s wrong?” She questioned. Forcing herself up into a sitting position. Whimpering the whole time, I felt a feeling of sadness wash over me. This is still all my fault. My hands found their way around to her back, steadying her.

“You were having a bad dream.” I informed. Helping her a bit, ever to carefully tucking her underneath my arm. Hoping that I could keep her somewhat warm. Honestly I’m just glad I‘ve gotten her out of the cold of winter and into a warm state where she can finally be comfortable. “Are you okay?”

“No, I’m cold.” She hummed, nuzzling her face into my shoulder. Pressing her lips to my collar bone. “When am I going to be discharged?” She tried to curl into my side without thinking about it, only crying out in pain instead. “Ow. Oh shoot, don’t worry I’ll be fine. ”

“I’m not sure when you are going to get out. But I’m going to leave you for a while tomorrow, job hunting and I’m going to get us a house. Since the cops have been involved in my life for so long they are going to help me. We won’t have to live in an old broken down trailer anymore, hopefully a nice apartment.-”

“I like trailers. Can we have another one of those?” She begged. I nodded. “Good.”

“You are right, I don’t trust apartments. I’m not sure if I want to leave you alone in a place like that, with our luck it wouldn’t be the safest of places. A trailer would make me feel more secure.” I explained. Pulling the blankets tighter around her then tucking her in. Carefully slipping out of the cot and yet again making sure she had the blankets around her tight enough to keep her warm. “Would you like me to get the nurse? She can stop most of the pain.”

“Sweetheart, why are you so worried?” She questioned. Slowly reaching for my hand. “She gave me so much pain medication already, I can barely feel a thing. Just lay with me, sleep with me.” Her fingers entwined into mine. Trying to pull me to her once again. But I found myself frozen in place.

“Emily, I watched them slice into your chest and perform surgery on you. They had tubes shoved down your throat.” Tears began to form in my eyes. Remember the sight of her limp body. The movement of her soft breaths rack through her chest. The noise of that dreaded machine singling the stopping of her heart, the rushing of doctors. I thought she was going to die.

~Flashback~

“What’s happening!?” I sobbed. Pressing my fingers to the glass window that I was looking at my beautiful darling who was laying like a lab rat on that table. My heart started to pound louder as I listened to that heart monitor run wild. My body became dizzy and I felt so lightheaded.

“Zane, breath. I promise you that your girl is going to be just fine. They aren’t going to let her die. Look she’s stable again.” The cop I have known for my entire life promised. Patting my back. “Emily is going to be fine. Just breath.”

~End Of Flashback~

Tears began streaming down my cheeks. I frantically wiped them away. Sniffling, still not wanting to think about what I would’ve done if I had lost her. I never want to feel that again.

“Y-You’re heart stopped. They used those shocker things. I thought I was going to loose you forever.” I whimpered. She pulled me down into a tight hug. Whimpering in pain but still holding me close. I felt a copal of her tears fall into my hair.

“I’m never going to leave you alone Zane. I’ll always be here for you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So yes, not a very long chapter. But worth it right? So I was wondering where you guys think this is going and what you think is going to happen. Drop a comment so I know what your thoughts are :)

Song of the chapter Live Like You Were Dying By: Tim McGraw