‹ Prequel: Passion

Written in the Stars

Wine, dine and sixty nine.

We were winning the game by two points; it was the bottom of the seventh inning with two outs. Juan hit the ball right over the pitchers head into the little gap between short and second, giving him just enough time to make it to first base. It was my turn to bat, and my fingers were shaking slightly. I was messing up the entire game, I’ve already stuck out twice so far and I wasn’t looking forward to striking out again.

“Cam deep breaths, you got this in the bag!” I looked over my shoulder to give Luke a nod letting him know that I heard him. I swung the batter around in a circle a few times before I jogged to the batters box. I placed one foot in and one foot out of the box to get my sign from the third base coach. Two taps on the nose, once on the belt, and four times on the ear, bunt. I swiped my hand across my helmet, a sign to let the coach know I received the sign, and placed both feet in the box. I rested my bat on my shoulder until the pitched got into his stance. In a blink of an eye my bat was out in front of the plate and the ball was released, a nice fast ball.

I made contact with it on the inside of the bat making my fingers sting a little bit but nevertheless it was a perfect bunt if I do say so myself. As soon as I felt contact with the ball I dropped the bat and took of sprinting towards first, I barely made it to the bag before the ball got there but I was still safe. I did a little happy dance inside of my head, thanking the lord that I didn’t strike out again. As Case got in position to hit the ball I took a generous lead-off as did Juan. The pitched got in his stance but instead of pitching it he threw it behind him to second base, Juan dived back, sliding under the tag.

He stood back up and took his lead-off once again; Case hit the ball right to the third baseman who easily picked it up and tagged third base. We all jogged back into the dugout and grabbed our gloves hustling back out onto the field. The game was shortly over after that, we ended up tying with the Cardinals seven to seven. I was extremely disappointed with my performance tonight; it was sloppy and uncharacteristic of me. There was a reason I established the no-boy rule, and it was to prevent stuff like this from happening.

“You did fine; stop beating yourself up over one silly game.” I turned to face one of the guys on the team I couldn’t stand, Ross. He was egotistical little man-whore who I couldn’t stand, and the fact that he tried to get in my pants during spring training.

I turned on my heels facing the smirking asshole, “To you it was just some ‘silly game’ but to me it’s my life. I worked my entire childhood to get here and the fact that I let some stupid boy get in my way is what is pissing me off. Now if you’ll excuse me I’d like to go,” I didn’t wait for a response, I picked up my batting bag slinging it over my shoulder and I made sure to bump into his shoulder as I left letting him get the message real clear.

***


When I woke up the next morning my phone was buzzing, indicating that my mail box was full. Most of the messages were from Oliver, they were quickly moved to the trash file, but there were a few from an unknown number. Curiously I called the number back while walking into the kitchen, after the third ring they picked up. “Hello?”

“Hi, I got a few miss calls from this number…” I stated confused, pulling out the cheerios and skim milk.

“Who is this?” I rolled my eyes. Uh hello you called me not the other way around!

“This is Cam speaking,” I poured my bowl of cereal and got a spoon out of the kitchen drawer.

The lady on the other end paused before speaking again, “I need your full name.” She responded sounding quite annoyed.

“Camille Willow Henderson at your service,” I snapped back sarcastically.

“Well Miss Henderson, I am calling from Good Morning America in New York, we were wondering if we could get you down here next week for our show.” I choked on my spoon full of cheerios, sputtering trying to get the circle devils out of my throat so I could respond.

“Uh hello?” The lady on the other end asked sounding somewhat concerned.

“Uh—sorry about that, I’d love to be on the show.” I replied still coughing a bit.

“Great will send you the details, have a productive day!” I chuckled at the corny line they had to say before hanging up. I cleaned up the little mess I made before continuing to eat my breakfast.

“Hey Cam, I was wondering if you wanted to come shopping with me today?” Alex popped her head into the living room.

I finished my last spoon full before answering, “Where ya going?”

“Not sure yet,” she replied shrugging. “All I know is that I need a killer outfit, we’re going clubbing tonight.”

“Count me in.”

***


“I can’t believe I let you talk me into getting this sluttish outfit.” I complained dragging my fire engine red heels along on the concrete.

“You look hot, get over it.” She blew a kiss with her neon orange lipstick at the bouncer and he let us in with out any hesitation. While Alex looked like a color-changing disco ball I looked like a ‘high end hooker’ with my black and red look. We received many hungry looks as soon as we stepped into the night club that seemed overly packed for a Thursday night. I fiddled with my hair nervously, not liking the attention that my breasts were receiving.

Alex slapped my hand away, “stop being a nervous wreck!” She whispered harshly, while giving one of the guys staring at her a suggestive smile.

“I can’t help it,” I whispered back still picking at my nails. Alex huffed turning towards me.

“Look your absolutely gorgeous and as my grandma always told me, ‘if you got it, you work it and if you don’t got it, you pretend like you have it.’”

“Uh what’s it?” I asked shyly afraid she would get mad at me.

She groaned throwing her head back, “just forget it! Go to the bar and get a dude to buy you a drink and then fuck you, maybe you won’t be such a prude then.” She turned on her pretty purple heels and stalked towards the guy from earlier. I frowned realizing that I was now alone. I walked to the bar taking one of the available seats, seeing as there weren’t that many left open, and tried to flag down the bar tender. He wasn’t even looking over at this end of the bar, I sighed putting my arm down knowing that it was going to be awhile before I got my drink.

“Fancying seeing you here,” I knew that voice all too well. I spun around in my chair and came face to face with Carter and his friend.

“What a pleasant surprise,” I faked grin really big. After a few moments of awkward silence I spoke up again. “Hi,” I held out my hand introducing myself to his little blond friend. “Carters being rude and didn’t introduce us, I’m Cam.” She wasted no time into bringing me into a hug.

“Oh! It’s so nice to meet you! I’ve heard so many stories of you; Luke and Carter seem very smitten with you. I’m Callie by the way.” I blushed, hoping the dark lights of the club would cover it up.

Obviously it didn’t because Carter smirked, “Yep she gets around a lot.” Callie didn’t understand the undertone of his voice but I heard it loud and clear. I swallowed back my pride and tears; and put on another big smile.

“I’m just like family,” I explained to Callie who just smiled and nodded.

“Well my girlfriend,” Carter paused letting the word girlfriend sink in before continuing, “and I are going to leave.” I smiled and gave them a short wave goodbye.

“It was so nice meeting you Cam!” Callie called over her shoulder.

“Can I get you anything ma’am?” I turned around to see the bartender staring at me curiously.

“The strongest shit you’ve got,” I sighed resting my elbows on the counter.

***


The drinks came and went and so did the boys, I had seemed to turn down every available guy at the bar so far. My expectations were just too focused on one guy, the same guy who I’ve been watching dance with some busty blond all night. It sucked. I turned back to the bar expecting to see another apple martini, but all I saw was the bartender staring me down. I raised my eye brow in confusion to why there wasn’t another drink sitting on the bar for me.

“You’ve had enough for tonight.” I went to protest but someone bumped into me, I turned around expecting to see some asshole trying to get some tonight but I was pleasantly surprised.

“You look so fucking hot right now; I could take you on the bar.” He leaned in and whispered huskily into my ear that sent shivers down my back.

“What are you doing over here?” I asked meekly, finding my voice.”

“Does it really matter?”

“I guess not.” He attacked my neck with his lips and I involuntarily let out a loud moan. He pulled my body closer to his and I started playing with the buttons on his shirt.

“Wanna get out of here?”

“I thought you would never ask.”
♠ ♠ ♠
****

Sorry its a day late, but its an extra long chapter so it should make up for it! Hope everyone is surviving the holidays <3
Stay beautiful my lovelies!
~Sunny