‹ Prequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete.

After All This Time

Fresh Start

“Are you sure you don’t mind?” Kate whispered softly, her head against Kendall’s chest. It vibrated slightly as he chuckled, shifting on the plush camel chair to look at her guilty expression.

“There’s no one else I’d rather ring in the New Year with,” he assured her, brushing a dark chocolate wave out of her face. Concern was still etched upon it as her golden eyes held his gaze steadily.

“But you don’t wish you were in New York with the guys?”

“Kate, as long as I’m with you, I’m happy. And I know you wanted to be with Jesse and Jay, too. Since Jay’s too, uh, pregnant to fly, this was the reasonable option.”

“I don’t get it. Do they think I’m going to go into freaking labor in the air?” Jay grumbled from her spot on the couch.

“Jay, you’re seven months pregnant,” Jesse said softly, wrapping one arm around her, his other resting on her bulging stomach.

“Whose fault is that?” she grumbled, raking her fingers through her wheat colored hair.

“Okay, I most definitely do not need to hear about that!” Kate objected, her head flying up to stare down her brother and sister-in-law. Jay cocked an eyebrow; a mischievous smirk playing across her rose colored lips.

“You don’t want to hear about your brother and me having totally hot s-“

“Lalala! I don’t hear you!” Kate screeched, clamping her hands over her ears. She jumped from her spot on Kendall’s lap, retreating into the kitchen.

“You just scarred my baby sister for life,” Jesse scolded, but Jay only shrugged through her laughter.

“I’m pregnant. Most things that are fun are unethical for a woman with child. I have to find my kicks somewhere,” she joked, ruffling Jesse’s deep brown hair. He wrinkled his nose in distaste, but his icy eyes glistened lovingly.

Kate peeked around the corner of the archway; her hands still pressed against the side of her head. She raised her eyebrows, carefully pulling them away and holding them in the open. Everyone watched her, grinning like mad. She sucked in a deep breath, cautiously taking a step into the warm living room.

“Is it safe for me and my oh-so-innocent ears to return?” she teased, widening her eyes, her voice taking on that of a small child.

“Oh, you’re innocent now?” Jay teased, tilting her head. Kate glared, watching Jesse tense up beside her.

“How about we change the subject before Jesse blows a gasket?”

“So, we survived 2012. Who would’ve thunk it,” Kendall offered, gauging Jesse’s expression carefully. He very much valued his life, and as much brotherly love there was, he still very much feared the bigger, stronger, man.

“I knew we would. I mean, the whole calendar marking the end is ridiculous. The poor people probably just got tired of making it, and figured we got the point and could take over,” Kate added, her normal sarcasm oozing through. She saw Jesse relax out of the corner of her eye and a sigh of relief gushed from her glossed lips.

“So, are we gonna see the others on TV?” Jay asked curiously, leaning against Jesse, her cyan eyes darting between Kate and Kendall.

“Maybe. They aren’t performing, they’re just in the crowd with everyone else,” Kendall explained with a shrug. The familiar voice was drifting from the television, announcing that there was only a couple minutes left until 2013. Four pairs of eyes searched through the bundled up crowd. Kate felt a twinge of jealously as she caught a glimpse of a sparkling snowflake drifting through Times Square.

“Next year,” Kendall promised her softly, reading her mind completely.

“You know, I think you’re just too talented for me. First it was singing, then acting, and now you’re telepathic. I just can’t compete,” she teased quietly. Jesse and Jay were caught up in their own world, debating over the announcers, performers, and coverage.

“You are absolutely perfect for me. I mean, you’re the brains of the relationship, and definitely the looks. So shut up,” Kendall whispered back, and a fit of giggles streamed from Kate’s mouth.

“You were doing flawlessly until the whole ‘shut up’ thing. We’ll work on it.” She nuzzled into the crook of his neck, her golden eyes smiling into his jade ones.

“Hey, isn’t that James?” Jesse’s voice shot through the white noise, causing everyone’s heads to snap to the flat screen.

“No way,” Kate exclaimed, her lips twitching into a smile as her almond shaped eyes set on an undeniable chestnut-haired head. It was obvious from the hazel eyes, black leather jacket, and checkered scarf that it was none other than James Maslow. That, and the beautiful blond girl his arm was draped around.

“The label will kill him,” Kendall snickered, which earned him a sharp glance from Kate.

“You let the label mess up our relationship. Let the poor boy have a chance to learn from your mistakes, kay?” she ordered, crossing her arms loosely over her chest. Kendall hung his head, nodding like a chastised child.

“I really am sorry about that,” he mumbled, and Kate lifted his chin with her index finger.

“I know. Just don’t do it again, and we’ll be fine,” she assured him, kissing his forehead gently.

“I’m going to go get the sparkling cider,” Jesse announced, sprinting to the kitchen. They had all decided that drinking champagne would leave Jay out, and upsetting a hormonal pregnant lady was the last thing they wanted to start the New Year with.

“Hurry, they’re starting the countdown,” Jay called. He quickly reappeared with four long-stemmed glasses, filled with bubbling gold liquid. He masterfully handed one to each person, as the crowd on the screen chanted with the giant clock.

Five

“There’s no one I’d rather be spending this with,” Kendall whispered in Kate’s ear, his warm breath sending goose bumps up her neck.

Four

“Me either,” she replied, barely audible. The smirk playing across Kendall’s thin lips made it clear he had heard each word perfectly.

Three

“I love you, Katherine Hope Williams.”

Two

“Well, that’s good, because I love you too Kendall Francis Schmidt.”

One

“Happy New Year!” the crowds chorused. Jesse pulled Jay close, his smiling lips pressing to hers, one hand resting on her baby bump. In New York, James embraced Carolyn, nervously and carefully connecting their lips. Carolyn threw her arms around his neck, a grin creeping across her blushing face. Kendall cupped Kate’s cheek in his callused hand, caressing it lightly as their mouths collided in a breathtaking kiss. Both desperate to leave the past in the past and start fresh, together.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I know I should've updated sooner, I got distracted. However, you guys rock. This One's For You has reached 150 readers and 5 stars!!!!

I don't have much to say, but that I love you guys, and I hope you have more to say than I do(:

xxxo, Sara