Status: In Progress

Falling Into Place

Chapter 21.

When I woke up I saw Jack was holding me to his chest. He was crying softly calling for me to wake up. He was shaking lightly. When we heard glass I swear we locked eyes out of instinct. He almost dropped me when we heard mom scream.

"Stay here," he whispered as he laid me on the floor where I somehow ended up.

"Jack!" I shouted ,but it was too late.

He was out the door. I struggled up to my feet. With my crutch under one arm and my caution out the window, I made my way to he disappeared out of. The world as I knew it was swept out from under my feet leaving me to walk on a tight rope. Without any regard for myself, I hobbled into the hall where I heard words running together, mom screaming at dad, dad screaming at her, and Jack screaming at both of them. I didn't understand any of it. In fact, it scared me ,but not as much as when my father raised his gun at Jack. My heart almost stopped. Everything began to break apart around me and I screamed as loud as I could.

It all seemed to happen in slow motion. The sound of the gun fire, the way Jack fell, and the sound of my mother's scream. It all seemed to be a dream ,but the horrible part was I knew it wasn't. It was all too real.