Status: On hold , help me?

Smile for Me

31

“Brian, what are you going to do if my dad’s home?” I asked slowly on the way to my house.
“What do you want me to do?” He countered, keeping his eyes on the road.
I bit my lip. “Nothing.”
He frowned at me. “Why not, Katie?”
“Because he’s my father – “
“Yes, he’s your father, and he should never have touched you.”
I sighed and turned in my seat to face him. “I know that but…please don’t do anything to him. That would be too hard for me to handle, Brian.”
He clenched his jaw and reluctantly nodded. Thanking him, I put my hand on his arm and squeezed. He caught my hand and brought my fingers up to his mouth to brush his lips over them tenderly.
The rest of the drive was silent, but I unknowingly tensed when we turned down my street. I craned my neck, looking for my dad’s car. It wasn’t in the driveway and I breathed a heavy sigh of relief.
Brian parked on the street and we got out together, walking side by side to the front door. I unlocked the door and went in first, holding the door open for him before closing it against the cold. We took of our shoes and Brian followed me silently through the house, up the stairs and to my room.
“Wow.” Brian said once we were inside. “Your room is pretty cool.”
“Thanks.” I glanced behind me as he walked around my room, looking at the random knickknacks and picture frames scattered over my desk and dresser tops. I pulled a bag out from under my bed and started to pack some clothes, adding enough for the rest of the week, just in case. I grabbed the stuff I would need from the bathroom, zipped up the bag and turned to see Brian sitting on my bed.
“I’m ready.”
He stood and took the bag from me, leading the way out of the room and down the hall.
I had done the job quickly, wanting to be gone before my dad arrived home. But he pulled into the driveway just as Brian and I were coming out of the house.
“Fuck.” I murmured.
“That him?” Brian asked, nodding towards the car.
“Yep, that’s Daddy Dearest.” I said dryly, sighing as I stepped off the front step.
Dad got out of the car and frowned at me. “Where are you going?”
“I’m staying at Brian’s for a while, Dad. I don’t know when I’ll be home.” I said calmly as I passed him
“Is this…is this about last night?”
I refused to answer that and started to pass him, knowing that he and Brian were sizing each other up. Rolling my eyes, I continued on the Brian’s car with a silent prayer that there wouldn’t be anything said.
“I want you home tomorrow night, Katie.” Dad ordered.
“Yeah? Well, I wanted a better family. But we don’t always get what we want, do we?” I sighed after my snide comment and looked at my dad with a little regret. “I’ll call you, okay?”
He looked ready to say more, but thought better of it and turned to walk up to the house, but before I saw the regret and sadness in his eyes.
Feeling my throat get tight with tears, I got in the car and sat in silence as Brian started up the engine and we drove away.
“Are you okay?” Brian asked softly.
“I’m fine.” I said, but the break in my voice at the end proved otherwise.
I knew he was about to say more, but we were interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing. I pulled it out of my sweater pocket and answered it.
“Hello?”
“Hey.” Jen greeted slowly. “Are you okay?”
“Fine.” I sniffed. “What’s up?”
“There’s a party tonight at Tim’s. Want to come?”
“Tim’s having a party on a Wednesday?” I laughed a little. He would do something like that.
“Yeah, and I already called Emma. She’s coming with Zacky, and the others are coming, too. You in?”
I relayed the idea to Brian and he shrugged.
“Count me in. What time?”
“Starts at seven, but come whenever the hell you want. See you later, hon!”
I flipped my phone shut and dropped it into my lap.
“It starts after seven.”
“Baby, are you sure you’re up to going out tonight?”
“Oh, yes.” I smiled at him. “A good party is just what I need.”
Brian smiled back and nodded, but the smile turned into a grin as he said, “Guess I get to see what kind of a party girl my baby is, huh?”
I laughed and nodded. “Yeah, this baby will show you how it’s done.”