Status: On hold , help me?

Smile for Me

53

I walked into my house with a heavy sigh, feeling uncomfortable just walking through the door.
Dad wasn't home; I was alone, on Christmas Eve.
Perfect.
I went up to my room and packed a bag for tomorrow, pulling out the presents I'd gotten or Brian, and for his parents. He'd told me I didn't have to get them anything, but they'd been so kind to me over the past few months and had invited me to spend tomorrow with their family; I felt like they deserved something from me.
There was a knock on the bedroom door and I turned just as it was pushed open.
My dad stood there, smiling tiredly at me. "Did you just get in?"
I nodded, narrowing my eyes at him. He wasn't drunk, and I thought that was a little weird.
"Are you leaving for Brian's again?"
"No, I'm staying here tonight and then I'll head over there tomorrow." I answered as I pulled out some clothes to wear the Haner's house tomorrow.
He sighed and leaned against the doorframe. "You should go to Brian's."
Not sure I'd heard him right, I turned to gape at him. "What?"
"I know I was giving you a hard time about him before, and I apologize. I realize now that boy really is good for you; he's made you happy…happier than I've seen you in years, and I want you to hold on to that happiness, Katie."
I nodded stupidly, staring at him in shock.
"So you go ahead, go spend tonight and tomorrow with him."
I felt guilty for leaving him. "Dad, I can stay – "
"I took an early shift tomorrow, anyway, so I'll be crashing pretty early tonight. But let me give you your present first."
I followed him down the hall and to his bedroom, seeing as we didn't have a Christmas tree anywhere in our house. I sat on the bed and watched as he pulled a small wrapped box from his closet. He sat down beside me and gave the box to me, folding his hands in his lap as I started to tear at the wrapping. I tossed the paper to the side and held the black box in my hand for a moment before I opened the top and gasped.
Inside the box, placed on the shiny velvet lining, with a silver chain bracelet with a heart-shaped pendant in the center. I pulled it out of the box and gently ran my finger across the pendant, turning it over to see there had been something engraved on the inside:

Forgive me for all I have done,
And know that I love you. Always.
Daddy

With tear filled eyes I turned and hugged him tightly, whispering, "Thank you, and I love you, too."
He kissed my forehead and patted my shoulder before pulling away to smile. "Now, get out of here."
I smiled and stood before realizing that I had bought him something, too.
"Wait here for a minute."
I an back to my room and pulled out the two wrapped boxes, bringing them to his room and setting them on the bed.
"Merry Christmas."
He smiled and opened his presents. The first was a box of Old Spice, because it was his favorite and I got it for him every Christmas. The second was a picture of him and I at a baseball game when I was eight. He'd always loved that picture, and I finally decided to get it framed for him. He laughed when he saw it and hugged me tight before ushering me out the door.
"And tell Brian that I wish him a Merry Christmas."
I nodded and practically ran out the door, jumping into my car and speeding off the spend the next two days with my boyfriend.
I think this Christmas was turning out to be the best one ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't worry. Nothing is as good as it seems.