Status: On hold , help me?

Smile for Me

Eight

I rang the doorbell and a few moments later, Emily’s dad appeared. He smiled and immediately let me in, closing the door after me.
“Hi, Mr. Ryan.” I greeted politely, smiling as I kicked off my shoes.
“How are you, Katie?”
“I’m good, and you?”
He shrugged and winked. “Hanging in there. Emma’s in her room, as usual.”
I thanked him and passed by the living room, seeing her mom on the sofa watching TV. I spoke to her for a few moments before I ran up the stairs to Emma’s room and pushed the door open, seeing her lying across the bed on her stomach, leaning up on her elbows as she read whatever was in her chemistry text book. I smiled and closed the door, holding my arms behind my back to hide the tickets and necklaces as I sauntered over to her.
“Oh, Emily?” I sang.
“What?” She asked monotonously, not bothering to look up at me as she flipped the page.
“Who is your best friend in the whole wide world?”
“You, doofus.” She replied, but still didn’t look up.
“And how much do you love me?” I asked, now standing at the side of her bed.
She paused and peered up at me with narrowed eyes. “Depends. What do you want?”
I laughed. “Nothing. Just curious, that’s all.”
She regarded me thoughtfully for another moment before turning her gaze back to the book. I continued to watch her, waiting for her to say something and hid a smile when she sighed dramatically.
“What?”
“So what are you doing on Friday night?”
She huffed. “Studying for this fucking unit exam that’s on Monday morning. I swear I’m going to fail life.” She moaned and I remained silent, which she noticed right away and looked up at me with raised eyebrows. “What, no smart-ass reply this time?”
I shook my head and she closed the book. “What’s wrong with you?”
“Oh, nothing.” I sighed forlornly. “It’s just that I have these tickets for some show on Friday night and I needed someone to go with but…” I shrugged and made a pouting face. “I guess I can see if someone else wants to go.”
She narrowed her eyes and asked slowly, “What kind of show?”
“A concert.”
“What kind of concert?”
“A rock concert.”
She rolled her eyes. “No shit. Who is it? Who’s playing?”
I shrugged again. “It doesn’t really matter, you can’t come – “
She made a frustrated noise. “Katie, just fucking tell me who it is.”
“Fine, fine.” I huffed and then grinned down at her. “Avenged Sevenfold.”
Her jaw dropped and she stared at me blankly for a moment before she started to stammer questions. “But they’re…it’s a private…how could you…I don’t believe you.”
I laughed and pulled the tickets from behind my back, waving them in her face. “Check it out, bitch.”
She grabbed them from my hand and peered at them before she screamed and jumped off the bed, hugging me tight as she jumped up and down.
“How did you get these?” She demanded when she had calmed down enough to speak. “Friday’s show was like a private function you could only go to if you…well, I don’t know how anyone could go but how did you get them?”
I smirked and imagined the look on her face when she found out whom I had gotten the tickets from. But I just shrugged and said slyly, “I have my connections. And one more thing.”
“What?”
“Dress to kill because,” I paused, pulling my other arm into view to show her the backstage passes that dangled from yellow strings. “We’ll be meeting them before and after the show.”
She gasped and started to cry. “I-I’m going to meet Zacky?”
I laughed. “That you are.”
She hugged me again, and then pushed me off with a horrified expression. “I have nothing to wear.”
I rolled my eyes. “Yes, you do – “
“No, I do not. We need to go shopping!”
I laughed and dropped the tickets and necklaces onto her bed as she pulled me out of her room, obviously to the mall.