‹ Prequel: The Darkness Within
Status: Working on chapters!

Calling Me as You Fade to Black

Three: Potions No Show

I looked down at my hands realizing that he was probably right. What if all of my crazy dreams were caused by wearing the ring and me using all my power to pray to god that he will come back. Obviously God hadn’t heard my prayers…

Ron stood up and said,” Well I better get going because Hermione is cooking dinner. I just wanted to keep you updated. Mione and I are trying our best to find out more info since you and Harry had to give up the searching to become teachers.”

I walked him to the door and replied,” Well thank you Ron. I’ll see you probably at Christmas.”
He waved and headed back out into the rain.

I had left for Hogwarts a day before the students would. My black cloak swirled around me as I got my room all decorated. The teacher’s rooms were exceptional big. I sat down on my silk black bedspread staring around the room until I heard a knock on the door.

I got up and opened the door and it revealed Harry. Harry smiled,” Hey! How’s getting settled going?”

I answered,” Its going okay. I’m pretty much done.”

He stated,” Well that’s good! I just wanted to stop by and say hi, I guess.”

I looked at him oddly, which caused me not pay attention and trip over a box of my things. He rushed over and caught me before I hit the wooden floor. He looked down at me and I could sense him getting closer. I could hear Ron voice in my head.

“If you keep holding on, it’s just going to drive you to insanity. Maybe you should work on moving on.”

Suddenly I felt his lips on mine. I didn’t know whether to kiss back or not but I didn’t want it to be more awkward than it already was so I kissed back just not with as much passion as was radiating off of Harry.

Harry propped me back on my feet and kinda smiled while blushing. I was still shocked in the fact that he had kissed me. He apologized,” I’m sorry but I’ve wanted to do that for some time.”

He waved goodbye and began to walk out and I questioned,” What do you mean quite some time!?”

Without answering my question he left me alone in my room. I touched my lips and stared at the closed door. The students were to be arriving tonight and I had to act like nothing happened. To sit next to Harry at the Great Hall’s table and talk to him, I was unaware of how this was going to go.

I pulled out a black long sleeved lace dress and my dark green cloak. I looked at myself in the mirror and pushed my hair off my shoulders. I think I am ready to face this.

I sat down gracefully in the middle seat between Harry and McGonagall. I watched as Professor Slughorn placed the sorting hat on kid’s heads. I folded my hands together on the table and raised my eyebrow as I observed the students being sorted into Slytherin.

I spotted a blonde boy with a brunette girl that both had just gotten sorted into my house. I watched as the girl by the name of Jaycee Middleton joined the Slytherin table and hug the blonde boy. I suddenly felt extremely uncomfortable. These two first years reminded me of what I didn’t want to be reminded of.

I fidgeted in my seat as the dinner started. I could feel Harry’s eyes on me and the rest of the Slytherin table. I stared down at the emerald ring on my finger. The rage still inside of me from the feeling of abandonment made me want to chuck the ring across the great hall. It took all my strength not to stand up and leave.

I made eye contact with Harry and those god damn green eyes looked like they were piercing through me. McGonagall stammered,” Locklyn, Are you alright?”

I broke the eye contact with Harry and replied,” Yes, I’m sorry Headmistress.”

McGonagall asked,” Well I was wondering if you could do the teaching DADA with Harry, but if you could also teach some of Potions sometimes as well. Our replacement for Potions has yet to arrive so we need someone who has had some experience and I assumed being raised by Severus, you’d be the perfect one.”

I nodded,” Oh yes I would love to take over sometimes.”
McGonagall sighed with relief,” Thank you so much.”

Finally the first dinner ended and I began to walk towards the hallway with all the teachers
rooms. I heard a couple coughs and then someone groan,” Ms. Riddle, please wait up.”

I turned around to see Slughorn trying to keep up with my pace. I stopped walking and he caught up to me and took a few moments to catch his breath. You could see in his face how he was sick. I knew he couldn’t wait till who the real replacement for Potions was, to get here.

He apologized,” I know you probably want to turn in but I’m feeling really under the weather and I would appreciate it if you could go check the potions room and make sure everything is ready for the first lesson tomorrow.”

I wanted to let out a sigh but I felt bad for him so I answered,” No problem, I’ll go do that now.”
He frowned,” I’m terribly sorry, dear.”

I waved it off and headed to the dungeons. The school had a different feeling at night to a teacher than to a student. It was as creepy. I remember running around the school at night with the ‘golden trio.’ But right now it was more of a comforting feeling. Maybe it just felt different to me because I was actually allowed to be out right now.

I opened the Potions room’s door and smiled. This was basically my old hangout. I remembered my seat and where I would hide all of the ingredients I didn’t want anyone else to use.

If McGonagall would have asked what spot I would have really wanted it would have been Potions Master. Maybe it was the fact that my good memories with Snape were in here. It’s horrible how I am so haunted by my past. Everything that happened truly did screw me up. I mean my life was the most perfect. My dad was trying to take over the world, my boyfriend and his family was on his side, I was fighting against them, and my adopted dad was a spy for the bad and good side. Really, I don’t know who would come out of this normal.