‹ Prequel: The Darkness Within
Status: Working on chapters!

Calling Me as You Fade to Black

Five: "I'm going to be honest."

It's the elephant in the room
And we pretend that we don't see it.
It's the avalanche that looms above our heads.
And we don't believe it.


I sat on the desk in the Defense against the Dark Arts room waiting for Harry and the students to come in. I still had ten minutes before the class started so I sat there reading the curriculum set by the ministry who was still under the rule of Kingsley.

I heard the door open so I looked up. Harry was walking in dressed with a white collared shirt with a long sleeve grey sweater over it with black slacks. He smiled a crooked smile at me and I forced myself to look back at the curriculum booklet. He asked as he set down his brief case,” How was your sleep? Mine was amazing.”

I nodded,” That’s good. Mine was okay.”

He questioned,” You don’t want to know why?”
I shrugged,” Sure? Go ahead and enlighten me.”

He whispered,” I had a dream of us kissing last night.”
My eyes lifted from the booklet and met his green eyes. I replied,” This is inappropriate for the classroom Mr. Potter.”

He laughed,” Gosh Locklyn, it was a joke. Why are you so uptight this morning?”
She rolled her eyes,” That wasn’t funny Harry. I just didn’t sleep very well.”

Harry’s POV:

Okay, telling Locklyn that I was joking about having a dream about her was a lie. I just told
her that because I didn’t want her to avoid me even more. I didn’t mean to kiss her but I wanted to. I knew why she didn’t sleep well. Her sleepless nights were just like mine back when I had a mind connection with Voldemort.

Hermione, Ron, and I all went through counseling after the final fight due to sleepless nights and not having closure. Locklyn of course, is way too stubborn to think she needs help sometimes. Locklyn desperately needs closure, Snape being gone and same with Draco. Knowing one of them is dead and having no idea whether the other has joined the dead one. Ever since kissing her, she seems to think that ignoring what could spark up is going to help her. When really it’s not and her hanging on one day having Draco show up is unhealthy.

I looked at my watch and then said,” You know what I think?”

She asked,” What do you think?”

I looked into her blue eyes and answered,” I’m going to be brutally honest.”
She nodded, waiting for me to continue.

I stated,” You need to talk to someone. You have to much bottled up inside of you. You also need to get over your dream of Draco showing up because Locklyn, do you want to know what I think?”

She just stared at me a little shocked that I was saying all this out loud.

I continued,” I do NOT think he is coming back. He’s had his chance to come back for two
years! How could you still have faith in him!? So from now on, you’re not going to avoid me, you are going to talk to me because we both have been in the same situations. I also think you’re afraid of maybe losing interest in Malfoy if you keep talking to me. Well guess what? We teach the same subject so you’re going to have to talk to me either way!”

Her lip glossed lips hung open. She had no idea what to even say back to me. Then the door open and revealed our first class of the day so she never got a chance to voice her opinion.

I smiled at the students,” Everyone, take your seats. I’m Professor Potter and this is Professor Riddle.”

Someone raised their hand.

Locklyn said,” What’s your name dear?”

The brown haired girl from Slytherin answered,” I’m Jaycee Middleton and I was just wondering if you were the two who ended Voldemort and did a whole bunch of cool stuff when you were sitting in our seats?”

Locklyn didn’t answer the question so I did,” Yes you are correct, Jaycee. Now let’s get the first lesson started.”

I rolled the old test dummy from Locklyn and mine fifth year and put it in the middle of the room. Locklyn stated,” The first jinx we are going to learn is the knockback jinx. The
incantation is Flipendo.

We showed the students what to do then let them line up to try it for themselves. Locklyn stood in the left side of the line correcting the students when appropriate. I joined her on the left side and I was itching to know how she felt about my outburst of honesty.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think! lyrics on top are from The truth by Kris Allan. Also thanks to celestial_royalty for helping me with some ideas that will be coming up soon

Jaycee Middleton