Sequel: Warmness On The Soul.
Status: finished

Big Bad Handsome Man

Seven.

“What do you think the guys are doing down there?” I asked watching Val cook dinner.

I had come downstairs an hour or so ago, and thirty minutes after the door was knocked on. The Berrys came walking into the room holding a scared looking short guy by the back of his shirt. Without saying a word Matt and Brian had stood up and walked out of the room with him.

I tried telling myself that Matt wouldn’t do anything, that he wasn’t that cold blooded at times. As much as I tried to distract myself I kept straining my ears, trying to hear some sound from what Matt and Brian were doing. Val had dragged me to the kitchen, demanding that I help her make dinner.

She however gave up on me when she found out I could barely peel a carrot. Not my fault I was clumsy in the kitchen most times… well… all of the time.

“Probably just interrogating him.” Val answered dumping a few handfuls of noodles into a pot full of boiling water. “They’ll probably be done soon, so don’t worry.” She looked over her shoulder to smile at me. “I need to give you cooking lessons; it’ll make Matt even more in love with you.”

I felt my cheeks heat up, “what did you just say?”

She giggled, “Oh come on Kara, don’t act like you haven’t noticed it.” Val turned to smile at me.

I frowned, “notice what?”

She tilted her head to the side, “you really haven’t noticed?”

“Noticed what Val?”

“Oh nothing.” She flashed me a smile before turning back to the stove.

I scowled, staring holes into the back of her head. Why would she bring up Matt and not tell me what she was talking about? I was going to go crazy wondering what she meant now, or I’d just explode from all the thoughts.

“Stop staring at me.” Val laughed. “It’s not my place to tell you Kara, but don’t worry it’s nothing bad I promise.”

I sighed and sunk back into my seat, going back to trying to peel potatoes. I was getting a bit better, and had only cut my finger two more times. One of my fingers would be missing by the time I had finished peeling the rest of the potatoes. Val was using almost the entire bag, since the guys apparently ate more than pigs do in a year.

“Oh fuck, I need olives…” Val groaned. “Damn it I should have grabbed some before Matt and Brian went down to the basement.”

“Why can’t you go get any now?” I asked setting the peeler down.

She glanced at me. “I don’t want to go down there…” Her eyes trailed to the door that I had thought led to the backyard.

“I’ll go get some.” Before she could reply I had walked over to the door and opened it. My nose wrinkled up at the smell, almost like moldy wet paper, not the best smell but it was a basement, I’m sure it wasn’t supposed to smell good. I started down the stairs, nearly falling a few times off the wobbly steps.

I spotted a shelf full of cans in the corner of the room. I smiled and practically skipped over to it, scanning them for olives. Val had called after me once, but than stopped, I didn’t know why she didn’t want me down here. Maybe because it was a bit cold and I was already sick, but eh I couldn’t get any worse.

I grabbed a can of olives and was just about to head back up the stairs when I heard a groan. I froze, glancing over to the other door in the basement. It was cracked slightly, letting a thin strip of light into the room. I glanced up the stairs for a moment, deciding one glance into the room couldn’t hurt.

I made sure to tip toe as I walked over to the door, looking through the small opening and into the room. I felt my heart drop down into my when I looked into the room. The poor guy from earlier had been strapped to a chair, looking like the pulp had been beaten out of him. Both Brian and Matt were standing in front of them, a bored look on each of their faces.

The white wife beater Matt had been wearing now had flecks of blood on it, making the contents of my stomach churning. His knuckles had blood dripping down them, and how the guy wasn’t dead amazed me. I was hoping at any second that Val or someone would jump out and yell surprise.

“Matt, he’s not going to tell us anything.” Brian grunted leaning against the wall.

Matt sighed, cackling his knuckles slowly. “Give me it.”

My eyes widened in sheer horror as Brian handed Matt a gun, the look on the poor guy’s face was one of utter terror. I felt my eyes welling up with tears, Matt wouldn’t shoot him, he wouldn’t he was just going to scare him. Matt didn’t even have a hint of emotion in his eyes as he held the gun up to the guy’s forehead, a blank look on his face, like the guy wasn’t even another human.

I felt my breathing stop when a loud shot rang out through the house. I looked at Matt in complete horror, his white shirt red from the splatter, even some blood on his neck. The can dropped from my hand before I could think, and right away Matt and Brian looked towards the door in horror.

“Kara…”

As soon as Matt said my name I turned and ran, thundering up the stairs. Val was at the top of them, a horrified look on her face as she saw me. I ignored her, shoving her to the side as I continued to run. I could hear Matt yelling my name, but at this moment I wanted to get as far away from him as possible.

As I ran past the living room I saw all of the guys stand up, looking at me with confused faces. I grabbed the front door knob, stumbling a few times before I managed to pull it open. I didn’t know where I was going; I just knew I had to get away from Matt, after what I saw I wouldn’t be able to look at him again.

I let out a choked sob as I ran, ignoring the fact that the rain was soaking my shirt, or that I had run out of the house with no shoes. I didn’t want to look behind and see if Matt was following me, I wanted to run as far and I could and hopefully get away from him. I nearly slipped a few times, the ground muddy and slick. I darted off the main road, hurrying towards the tree line.

He killed someone, without so much as a sorry or even a look of compassion. He shot him like he wasn’t even a human; I don’t think I could ever get that imagine out of my head. I don’t think I could ever look at Matt the same. The part that hurt the worst, was knowing that deep down I had feelings for Matt, even if he just shot someone in the head.

I let out a shrill scream when the ground slipped from under me. I slid for what felt like a few feet, twigs and rocks scrapping my skin. After a few seconds I stopped sliding and I laid there dazed and confused. My luck got worse when Matt suddenly came into view, sliding down the hill easily and collapsing next to me.

He panted, the rain had washed the blood off of him, but it was making the blood on his shirt run. I scrambled away from him, ignoring the small scratches over my body.

“Kara stop,” He panted, “you’re hurt, I need to get you back to the house.”

I kicked at him when he reached towards me, trying to crawl farther away from him. “Don’t touch me!”

His expression changed to worry… to hurt? No that couldn’t be right; I had to be seeing things. “Please Kara, its cold, your hurt; I need to get you back to the house.”

I kicked at him again when he tried grabbing me again. He quickly dodged my legs before gripping my calves, dragging me over to him. I let out another scream, hoping that there was someone near by who would hear me and try to come help. I knew it was hopeless though, it was raining too hard.

“Let go of me! I don’t want you to touch me Matt!” I tried clawing at him, doing anything to let him to let me go. “Please…”

I felt my heartbeat slow when Matt suddenly hugged me close to him. His arms wound around my middle, pulling me close while his head rested on my shoulder. I wasn’t sure what to do or think right now, but this was the side of Matt that I liked.

“Please stop fighting me… I didn’t want you to see any of that earlier… I told Val and the guys to make sure you didn’t Kara… I don’t want you seeing me do shit like that; I can’t stand the look in your eyes right now. Your looking at me like I’m a monster and it hurts.”

I didn’t know what to say or do right now, “Matt…”

“I need you in my life Kara… I can’t imagine you not being in it now. This wasn’t part of our plan at all, I don’t care anymore I just need you here with me.” Matt’s voice was shaking, and just knowing he was upset made fresh tears sprout in my eyes. “I can’t have you look at me like a monster, everyone has before but I can’t stand you looking at me like that. I need you in my life Kara… I can’t lose you, I don’t even know if I can face giving you back.”

“Mat… what… what are you trying to say?” I asked quietly, my voice barely above a whisper.

He lifted his head up, resting his forehead against mine. His hands left my sides and held my face gently, his eyes looking into mine for a few moments. “I… have very strong feelings towards you… and I am willing to risk everything by doing this.”

Before I could ask Matt what he meant I could feel his lips hovering against mine, and at that moment my heart felt like it was about to explode from my chest.

This can’t be happening.
♠ ♠ ♠
shorter than I wanted,
but I couldn't resist writing this chapter.
should they kiss, or build up tension?:D
comments = updates :3