‹ Prequel: Shooting Stars
Status: working on it

Rookie

A Decision

I told Sidney the next day when he flew in that I said yes. He rushed us to the closest jewelry store and told me to pick one. I chose a simple four carat diamond ring that Sidney said he liked. I was then engaged to one of the most famous players in hockey. We got to talking and he suggested we get married this summer so we could take a honeymoon right away. I said we’d talk about it later since we just got engaged and I had a lot to do before the game against San Jose the next day
.
He dropped me off at practice with a promise to go to lunch afterwards. I was the first one on the ice and of course, Corey was second.

“Soph, I’m sorry.”

“I don’t want to hear it, Corey. We don’t have a chance, I’m sorry.”

We beat San Jose 4-2 in the series and I got seven more goals with three assists. I was impressed with myself because I was at the top of the leader board.

Sidney convinced me to get married on the day game seven, if needed, would be played. He said it would be good luck for our marriage or something.

That meant that Abby, Jackie, Ava, and I all had to get dresses. So we went shopping and then I arranged with Rocky Wirtz for our ceremony to be on the ice at the United Center after the game. After shopping around for a dress, I finally found one that was perfect. It was short and cutsy like I always imagined. As the series started and family arrived in Chicago, I was busy playing my heart out earning the MVP award. We made it to game seven and I was nervous as hell. Not only was it game seven, but I was getting married to Sidney fucking Crosby.

“Game seven, folks, is finally here and underway at the Madhouse on Madison. Captain Mosier is looking great tonight too, what do you think, Jack?”

“She sure is. Her teammates said this is not her most important game, though. She says that as long as they play hard and don’t leave anything on the ice, that she doesn’t care about the final score. And I think that’s what makes her such a great captain. She is so down-to-earth and realizes there is more to life than winning.”

“She does, Jack. It’s great to see someone so young able to do that too.”

“Exactly, now here we go with the play by play.”

“You know, everyone keeps telling me that you’re marrying Crosby,” Henrik Sedin said to me on the ice as we awaited the first face off against Vancouver.

“Oh really, who told you?”

“Tazer.”

“Tazer wouldn’t tell you shit.”

“Yeah, you’re right; I’ve just heard it around.” The puck dropped and conversation stopped.

First and second periods flew by with no score and I was furious. Henrik and Daniel tag teamed me, so Coach Q changed our lines so that Jon and Sharpie were on my line to go right back at them and I was free to get some shots off. I scored the first goal, but the next time I was out, Daniel scored. It was tied one to one at the end of the game. Overtime was long and painful until Sharpie finally lit the goal post lights. We cheered obsessively for minutes until Coach called us over to get the trophy presented.

“Ladies and gentlemen, your 2013 Stanley Cup Champions!” the crowd cheered excessively. “The CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS!” our goal celebration song blared as I got handed the Cup. It was heavy, but I managed to hold it up. They then presented the MVP trophy to me and I skated around with that. I found my cousin and grandma who were in charge of Ava and skated to them. I gave my cousin the trophy so I could pick up my baby.

“We did it, baby!”

“Yaa!” she cheered. I laughed and put her into my grandma’s arms.

“I’ve got to get ready, but you should meet Jon, Gram. Jackie claims he’s the one,” I explained knowing that Jackie would never introduce him to family unless pushed to do so. She glared at me as I waved goodbye to them. I congratulated my teammates and went to change into my dress.