Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 25

Violet.

The siren went off, and our group of three all jumped up at once, Jacob looking for his section while Poppy grabbed me and started dragging me to ours. She had killer eyesight.

I let her drag me, and my eyes drifted back to where Jacob was running. Concern was on my face as he ducked past a vampire with claws who had swiped at him. Poppy was watching too and still running and we could both see the marks where Jacob’s shoulder had been torn open.

Blood had flowed down his borrowed clothes and to his back where it started to slow at his healing abilities.

I felt my eyes water for reasons I couldn’t name.

We stopped running; Poppy dropped my arm while we filled out a perfect line with the others, I closed my eyes now. I didn’t want to see anymore.

Jacob.

Shit that hurt.

My shoulder was still bleeding, and I held my hand up against it as hard as possible, hoping to stop the bleeding so I could heal. I wondered what those claws were made of to leave a sting like this.

I ignored my curiosity though and instead looked up to see Violet and Poppy were in their line, and neither of them had been hurt.

Two who had though, were dragged away, their bodies all that was left. There was no mourning for them though. They hadn’t moved fast enough, and everyone here was just relieved it wasn’t them who had died. As usual.

It was almost incredibly predictable the way the werewolves here thought. They all were in tune, just hoping to survive but also individually thinking different things.

Just not about how to escape.

XxX

I spent a lot of time plotting after getting back to my room.

Why was no one resisting? Why did everyone just go along with whatever the vampires said? I mean, sure there were a lot of them, and they had weapons, but no one was even trying to fight back. There were more than enough wolves here to do something about the situation.

I wanted to ask about that, but it didn’t seem like a good idea to let the wolves in here, who I didn’t know that well, and who could turn on me at any moment know that I was considering escape.

So, I let my thoughts consume me, spending meal time and the nights before I got let out again on thoughts involving going home.

I day dreamed a lot, about Violet getting her memory back, and coming home with me. We’d find Sam on the way and give him some alone time with Emily before everyone started to hound on us.

How long it would be for a picture even halfway similar to the one in my head would become a reality. It might not ever, so for now it was just a fantasy.

Poppy would probably go home, but it was nice to imagine her coming to visit me when this all blew over. I bet the guys would get a kick out of meeting her. That girl, even with being all imprisoned at the moment, was obviously a live wire.

My dad…I wondered if he’d still be there if I ever went back. I hoped so. He needed an explanation for everything that had happened.

He needed to meet Violet too, because it would be nice for him to know why I was always acting so strange in the short amount of time before I was dragged off.

XxX

I approached Poppy slowly when we met up again.

I had been here for almost a week and nothing new had happened, except of course the small dramas that came with being imprisoned. Wolves dying, wolves losing it, you get the idea.

Poppy was fully healed, and I was glad that I had something to distract me from the fact that Violet was nowhere in sight. My heart raced against my will though, and I couldn’t help from looking around frowning deeply when I didn’t spot her before falling down beside Poppy.

It was quiet while we both thought up what to say before Poppy’s expression fell and she sighed.

“I know you want to ask where she is, so go ahead,” She said, and I could tell by her voice that she was here. Nothing had happened to her.

I rolled my eyes at her, and asked anyways. “Where is she?” I said, but Poppy didn’t tease me back, her mouth tight and eyes far from amused. They were more…irritated.

“She said, and these are her words not mine: she doesn’t want to see you.” Poppy growled, and I could tell that it upset her.

I had wondered how long I could go without Violet somehow finding a way to hurt me. Even if it was indirectly. Looks like five minutes was the new record.

“She doesn’t want to see me?” I said meekly. My heart plunged just thinking about it. I couldn’t be away from her. Not now. I needed her too much. I had to see her face, hear her voice, like before. And also like before it didn’t matter if she snapped at me.

Poppy nodded and I forgot I had been waiting for an answer. It hurt worse than if I’d gotten a response from her. She stared at her hands.

“I think she’s mad at herself,” Poppy admitted, and I must’ve looked confused because she added, “When we saw you…get hurt…she was upset. She actually felt sad and angry at seeing you that way and she was disappointed that she was so weak. That you made her feel that way when she barely knew you.” Her voice got softer at the end and I felt sick, but then a bit of warmth flooded me.

Violet does care. She may hate it, but then again I’m pretty sure she hated caring about me even when she did know me.

“Really?” I said, and my voice didn’t give away the sick pleasure I was feeling. Poppy nodded, and her dark eyes traced over the crowd.

“When she saw you get hurt, she cried herself to sleep,” Poppy said quietly.

“I made her cry?” I asked timidly. My good feelings had left just as quickly as they came and I got a brief memory, of the night that Violet had told me she was leaving.

She had tried to tell me to get over her and I’d snapped. I let my pain get the better of me and in turn it had inflicted pain on her. She had cried then.

I hated seeing her cry.

“Yeah, she was worried about you.” Poppy mumbled, her eyes still fixed on her hands. I rested mine on top and tried my best to smile at her. I think it worked because she looked surprised.

“Thank you,” I said, and got up. She stared at me for a second before finally, getting up herself with a confused look on her unmarked face.

“Where are you going?” she asked. I shrugged, because I didn’t have a specific place in mind. “I am going to go find her, I really need to talk to her,” I said, and poppy sat back down, nodding.

“Fine, but just don’t tell her I told you she was crying; she might get mad at me.” She said, and leaned up against the closest wall. I nodded to her as I started walking, the imprint pull already kicking in and causing my feet to move.

I found her quickly due to that extra instinct, easily seeing over the crowd since I was one of the tallest here and spotting her tiny form quickly.

She was standing near a group of people, none of them talking to each other and all looking wearily around, on edge from the buzz that never left the air while Violet ignored them and stared at the ground.

I contemplated what to say as I paused, before ignoring the thought and walking up to her. She tensed at my presence, and I frowned to see that that little phase hadn’t passed, and remembered how she had put up that whole implied ‘no touching’ barrier when we first met months ago.

“What do you want?” she said coldly, guardedly when I slid down to sit beside her.

I tried to ignore the bite that went through me as she avoided my eyes and tried to talk to her. “I want to know why you are avoiding me,” I said calmly, hiding my real intentions.

“Im not, I just choose to have some time to myself,” she defended, the words coming out fast and defensive.

I rolled my eyes at her, and I knew she could see it now. “Oh C’mon, that’s the worst excuse I’ve ever heard, we’re surrounded by armed vampires and morbid werewolves. There’s no such thing as alone here. Your avoiding me, admit it.”

Violet dragged in a deep breath closed her eyes while her cheek twitched. “Alright, so what if I am? What’s it to you? You don’t know me.” She snapped.

I rolled my eyes again.

“Actually, I know you better than you know yourself, you just can’t remember.” I said, and she opened her eyes to me, finally, looking me full in the face. I could see a brief emotion pass through her eyes, before her body relaxed slightly.

“What do you know about me?” she asked, her voice timid, but not entirely friendly.

I sighed, “I know that you were hunted most of your life and were attacked and turned into a werewolf against your will. You have a mark on your hip because you have special abilities passed down from your parents. The tattoo on your ankle says Farah; it was your sister’s name. She died after your parents and you’ve been alone ever since.”

Violet stared at me, in shock, her mouth hanging open, but I was far from done, all my hurt and bottled up feelings pouring out.

“You pushed me away in the beginning, but you were my best friend Violet. You talked me out of committing suicide and calmed me down when my friends all thought I had lost it. I was supposed to protect you and you ended up actually getting hurt because you left and ended up here.”

Stop Jacob…slow down…I warned myself, and took a deep gust of air. I felt bad for snapping. I had promised myself not to scare her.

Violet only stared though, her eyes hardening while she took in everything I’d said. She seemed to focus on one thing in particular though. She jumped up, so she was looking down on me, but not by much with how short she was.

“How does it matter then?” she bellowed, and I could hear the hysterics in her voice as well as I could see it in her eyes. The people around us barely noticed though.

“I obviously can’t remember so what does it matter how much I helped you before. I didn’t even know your name before a few days ago and now what? Do you expect just to go back to the girl you remember? I can’t do that!” She all-but yelled, before running a hand angrily through her silky hair. She took in a deep breath while I stared at her.

“Why can’t you let me go?” Violet said, quietly, sinking down after her brief outburst. Her eyes were tight, shut and she buried her head in her palms.

“I don’t even remember you.” She said, so quietly I wasn’t sure if she wanted me to hear her. I found myself edging closer slightly.

“I can’t give up on you,” I said, answering her in a different way than she expected.

“Give up on me?” She asked timidly, rhetorically before looking at me. Her eyes were no longer guarded. “What do you mean?” she added, after an endless moment of me staring at her.

“I mean, I can’t give up on you. I can’t let you go, ever.” I said, staring into her bottomless eyes that didn’t seem so hidden anymore.

“I can’t forget you, I told you that before, but you don’t remember, and I can’t leave you now because you never gave up on me. You were always there even if I didn’t want to listen to what you had to say. I have to do the same.”

I watched her face, and she didn’t seem surprised, more like…relieved.

“Alright, she said finally, quietly, shocking the hell outta me. “So where does this leave us?” she finished and I scrambled for a second to think.

“I don’t know,” I said, my eyes turning to the ground. It was the first thing that popped into my head and left my mouth.

Violet just smiled though, holding out a hand so I looked at her and eyed it wearily.

“Friends?” she asked hesitantly, although I was sure she knew that something deeper had happened to us before she left. She didn’t know how to respond to that though, and was going along with what was best for now.

I shook her hand, feeling a small bit of relief. “Friends,” I agreed, and for the moment, escaping this place was the last thing on my mind.