Status: BRAND NEW!

A Promise to Keep Until I Die

Chapter Twelve

"See you later Haku!"

Naruto and I ran to meet the others for another mission.

"Hey Sakura-chan!"

He and Sasuke looked at each other and looked away quickly. I rolled my eyes. Ever since the bridge they've been weird. Out teamwork is steadily disappearing because I can't get along with Sakura and those two are constantly at it.

A mission later...

"Naruto you really push yourself to hard sometimes," I complained. He was leaning heavily on me as we walked.

"Can't you take care of yourself?" Sasuke asked.

"Dammit! I'll finish you!" Naruto shouted.

I sighed and let go of him. He fell, still shouting.

"Teamwork seems to be suffering lately," Kakashi said.

"Yeah! Yeah! You're the one ruining our teamwork Sasuke! Always hogging the spotlight, you bastard!"

"That's you, you moron," Sasuke said. "If you want me to make you stop looking bad-"

I clamped a hand over his mouth before he could say anything.

"You two are getting on my nerves!" I snapped. "Just admit that you're best friends and get it over with! All you ever do is argue, argue, argue! You're getting so damn annoying!"

"Shut up," Sasuke snapped. "You're worse than Naruto!"

"Thank you," I said.

"That wasn't a compliment!" he snapped.

I rolled my eyes and looked at Kakashi. "Are we done for today?"

"Yes."

"I'm going home," sasuke said.

"Wait Sasuke-kun! How about right now we work on our team work just the two of us!"

"You're the same as Naruto," Sasuke said. "If you have time to bother me, practice a jutsu or two. Frankly your ability is below Naruto."

"Stop being such an arse," I snapped.

He walked off without looking back. I rolled my eyes. "How does anyone fall for him? Seriously! It's hard enough being his friend!"

"I act like I'm looking forward...but feint! What kind of rock is square with two wholes in it?! I see right through that!"

I glanced back at Naruto and smiled when Konohamaru appeared.

"That's the man I view as my rival!" he said.

"Oh its you Konohamaru," Naruto said unenthusiastically. "What's with the goggles?"

"We're copying the old you bro!" he said, grinning.

I snickered. "You are a complete mini Naruto."

"Ah..."

"What do you mean 'ah'! You're cold lately bro!" Konohamaru said.

"So what do you want?" naruto asked.

"Are you free?" the girl asked.

"Nope! I'm training!"

"What?! But you said you'd play ninja with us today!"

"Why would a ninja "play" ninja?" Sakura asked, looking completely depressed.

"Who's this girl?" Konohamaru asked. His eyes suddenly brightened with understanding. "Not bad bro! She's your..." he made the sign for girlfriend.

I cracked up laughing. "You are so dead Naruto!" I said.

Sakura punched him, sending him flying. I bent over laughing.

"Leader don't die!"

She smacked Naruto and Konohamaru over the head. I laughed even harder.

"Damn it! That ugly huge forehead...is that really a girl?"

She ran after them and, giggling helplessly, I followed them.

"Ouch!"

"That hurt."

I stopped and frowned at the familiar people. The boy Konohamaru had run into picked him up.

"That hurt you little piece of shit!"

"Don't. We'll get yelled at later," the girl said. She carried a fan and the boy carried something wrapped up on his back. They seemed really familiar.

"I'm sorry. I was messing around," Sakura said.

"Hey fatass! Let go of him!" Naruto shouted.

"Let's play a little before the boss comes," the boy said.

Naruto ran at him and for seemingly no reason at all was sent flying. Recognition hit me.

"Oh, leaf genins...are weak," Kankuro said.

"Hey! You fat pig! If you don't let go of him I'll make you pay! Fatass! Idiot!"

"You are annoying. Basically, I hate midgets. Especially younger ones that are rude. Makes me want to kill them."

"Oh well, I'm not involved," Temari said.

If they were here...then where was Gaara? I hadn't seen them in years but Gaara had to be around somewhere.

"Well, after this one I'll take care of that other annoying midget!"

I ran at him and grabbed his arm, twisting it before he could lay a hand on Konohamaru.

"Release him now or I will break your arm," I said.

A rock hit his wrist, forcing him to let go of Konohamaru.

"What are you bastards doing in our village?" Sasuke asked.

"You are unbelievable," I growled.

"Another guy who pisses me off," Kankuro said. "And will you let go of my arm?!"

I twisted it. "Nope. Not happening. I want to know where Gaara is."

"How do you know Gaara?" Temari asked.

"You haven't realized yet?"

I looked up at the tree and smiled at Gaara. "Long time no see Gaara. How've you been?"

He stared at me coldly, with the icy eyes of a killer. I frowned.

"I have been well without a liar in my life," he said coldly.

"What are you talking about?" I demanded, letting go of Kankuro's arm.

"Nothing that concerns you," Gaara said coldly.

I didn't believe that but I wasn't going to press him, not when he had eyes like that.

"You know these bastards?" Naruto asked.

"We were all friends once upon a time," I said. "When I was still with my clan. We would go to the sand village to visit out family there."

Temari's eyes widened. "Hazuki?"

I smiled. "Yep."

"You are an embarrassment to our village," Gaara said, glaring at Kankuro.

"Listen Gaara, they started it!" Kankuro whined.

"Shut up. I'll kill you." Gaara said.

"Ok, I'm sorry," Kankuro said.

"I'm also really sorry," Temari said.

They were both terrified. I didn't remember that. Something had changed.

Gaara looked at Sasuke. "Sorry to you guys."

He disappeared and reappeared next to me. "Let's go."

"Hey wait!"

"Don't bother Sakura," I said. "They are here for the chuunin exams."

"At least one of you isn't clueless," Temari said.

I looked at Gaara. "Funny. I feel pretty clueless right now," I murmured.

He glared at me, eyes cold and emotionless. Something had happened. And whatever it was, it wasn't good.

They walked away and Sasuke appeared beside me. "Who was the one with the gourd?"

"Gaara of the sands..." I murmured. "Stay away from him for now Sasuke. Only Naruto would be able to beat him."

"Why Naruto?"

I looked at Naruto, who looked just as confused.

"Naruto has more in common with Gaara than anyone," I said. "That is why he would be the only one who could beat him and only under certain conditions, and only after he's learned a bit more."

Naruto's eyes widened in comprehension. "You don't mean-!"

I smiled. "Yeah. Gaara has that one big thing in common with you. He too hold that great power within him."

A bijuu known as the Shukaku.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow! Several chapters tonight!
Hmm...are they any good?
Hope you like!
-WF