Sequel: Second Heartbeat
Status: Active

Changing Your Stars

Confessions of a Prom Queen

I was bored out of my freaking mind. What had I been thinking agreeing to this? I turned to Johnny who was sitting beside me. “How long do we have to stay here?”

Johnny just chuckled at me. “It’s not that bad Kinzi.”

“Are we at the same Prom?” I grumbled.

Yeah, we’re at my junior prom. I hadn’t wanted to come but since both Cam and Dani were dating seniors and they were going, along of course with Matt and Val that somehow meant
I had to come. Thank God for Johnny, he was my life saver.

I had been spending a lot of time with him over the last month. It worked cause if the boys weren’t practicing they were spending time with their girls. I’m not jealous; it’s just a little hard to be around Zacky still. And where the guys are so is Zacky which means so is Michelle.

As if on cue I heard her cackle from the table beside us. You would think being seven months she would stay at home, but of course not. She was in some tight ass dress she thought she looked good in while I thought it just made her look like a pregnant whore.
Which, of course, she is.

My eyes wandered from her to Zacky who sat looking equally bored. My lips twitched wanting to smile as I realized he was playing air guitar to something in his head. He looked so good in his suit it wasn’t funny. Most guys couldn’t pull off a bow tie but good lord he looked sexy in one.

Johnny leaned over towards me. “You know you should just tell him.”

I forced my eyes off Zacky and turned to Johnny. “Tell him what?” I asked pretending I had no idea what he was talking about. Of course I did. I swear Johnny and I had this conversation at least once a week.

He snorted seeing through my bull instantly. “You know damn well what you should tell him.”

I sighed. “It doesn’t matter. He’s a good guy trying to do the right thing. It’s hard enough for him already without me dropping the ‘L’ bomb on him.”

“Ever think that maybe that’s what he needs to hear to do just that? Do you really want him to be miserable for the rest of his life?”

I blinked at Johnny. “What are you talking about? Forever?”

Johnny rolled his eyes. “You’re so naive sometimes it isn’t funny. After this baby comes what do you think she’ll start pressuring for next?”

My heart dropped at the thought alone. “Oh God.”

“The poor bastard will be married before he’s twenty. Good bye rock star life, hello nine to five.”

I swallowed hard. Johnny was right. Michelle was going to ruin Zacky’s life. “We can’t let that happen.”

“We don’t have any say but maybe if he realized he still had options it would give him a reason to choose differently.”

I sat there chewing over what he said. As always my eyes sought out Zacky. He and Michelle had moved to the dance floor since it was a slow song. He looked up and our eyes locked. I smiled at him, the first time I hadn’t looked away immediately from his gaze since we had broken up months ago. Butterflies took flight as he returned my smile. How long had it been since I saw that smile last? A long ass time ago.

I watched as Michelle said something to get his attention again. He leaned down and she kissed him. It wasn’t a quick peck on the lips it was a full on should be behind closed doors kiss. I swear that bitch knew when I was happy and exactly what to do to take it away. I stood up suddenly planning to I don’t know…I just had to get away. Of course just my luck I plowed into a couple of guys carrying drinks for them and their dates.

The drinks went all over me before I hit the ground hard. Of course the crash was so loud everyone around us turned to see what had happened. Immediately they all started laughing. To add insult to injury Michelle and her cronies were all standing there pointing and laughing.

Johnny helped me up and glared at everyone. “What the fuck are you looking at? She still looks better than half you skank bitches.” He wrapped his arm around my shoulders. “Come on let’s get you cleaned up.”

“Yeah sure.” I swear I was going to start calling him Knight Johnny. He had been my savior more than once since we had met.

“I’m gonna go grab a smoke quick.” He said when we got to the bathroom.

“Okay I’ll meet you out there.”

I headed into the bathroom taking a look at the damage. Thank God my dress was black so you really couldn’t see the drinks but my arms were all sticky. Sighing I began washing them off. Just three maybe four weeks max. It was a mantra I had taken up recently. I was starting to look forward to moving. I had once thought that I was changing my stars by moving to Huntington Beach, now I realized I needed to leave Cali all together for that really to happen.

I don’t know why but when I heard the door to the bathroom open I ducked into one of the stalls. Maybe I was more embarrassed then I wanted to let on and wasn’t ready to see anyone yet. No matter what the reason I found myself sitting on a toilet my feet pulled up so no one could tell I was there.

“Are you sure you don’t need to go to the doctors?”

I frowned, that voice sounded oddly familiar.

“Yeah I’ll be okay for a little while yet. I don’t want to miss the crowning ceremony.”

Now that voice I knew. It was the bitch, Michelle. It was her and one of her bottom eating friends.

“How far apart are the contractions?”

There was a pause. “A good fifteen minutes apart. I’ve still got time.”

Oh my God Michelle was in labor?! How could that be? She wasn’t due for like two more months. Why was she not freaking out? I held my breath, afraid to even breathe.

“What are you going to tell Zack?”

Michelle snorted. “Premature labor.”

“The doctors are going to know it’s not premature. Hell it’s a miracle you’ve been able to keep the secret this long.”

“Shut the hell up Brandi. My parents still believe that Zack and I slept together in September and I’ll find a way around Val. So as long as you keep your big mouth shut no one will know that Zack’s not the dad.”

“God I’m not going to tell anyone Chelle, chill.”

“Okay than I have nothing to worry about. We’ll stay until I get my crown and then after the King/Queen dance I’ll tell Zack I’m in labor and we’ll head to hospital.”

“You better hope your water doesn’t break before any of that.”

Michelle laughed. “Don’t I know it.”

I sat there stunned as the two girls left the bathroom laughing their heads off.

It wasn’t Zacky’s baby.

Oh God he’s going to throw everything away for a child that isn’t even his. If I didn’t hate Michelle before this I sure as hell did now. I couldn’t let this happen, I wouldn’t. Racing out of the bathroom I almost knocked Johnny over.

“I have to talk to Zacky NOW!” I said in an obvious panic.

“Wait…Slow down. What’s going on?” Johnny was worried; I must look like a complete crazy person judging by the look on his face.

“It’s not Zacky’s baby.” I said trying to get past him so I could find Zacky.

Johnny grabbed a hold of me so I couldn’t leave. “Hold up. How do you know this?”

I took the next ten minutes replaying the conversation I had overheard in the bathroom between Michelle and Brandi to him.

“That’s fucked up shit.” Johnny said in disbelief when I had finished my tale.

“I know which is why I need to talk to him before he signs the damn birth certificate!”

Johnny and I raced back trying desperately to find Zacky. I know I looked crazy but I was running out of time, it was soon time to announce the King & Queen. I pushed my way through the crowd towards the front where everyone was gathered.

“Queen goes to Michelle Dibenedetto. Unfortunately she had to head to the hospital so April Cunningham will accept the award in her honor.”

SHIT! I was too late! I found Johnny towards the back. “You hear that?”

He nodded. “Yeah the whole gang is heading to the hospital as we speak.”

“We have to get there NOW. He can’t sign, he just can’t.”

“Agreed. Let’s go I’m driving.” Johnny said fishing his keys out of his pocket.

We couldn’t get to the hospital fast enough. All I could think of was warning Zacky. We might not be together but I love him and I want what’s best for him. Giving up his dream to be a father to a child that isn’t his wasn’t it. My legs bounced to the same erratic tempo of my heart.

“Girl you gotta chill.” Johnny warned as we pulled into the hospital parking lot.

“I know, I know.” I said my hand already on the door handle. As soon as we were parked I was out of the car and all but running into the hospital. As it was Johnny had to jog to catch up to me. I was just inside the doors when he reached me.

He grabbed a hold of me spinning me to face him. “Seriously Kinzi you need to calm down. You look kinda nuts, no offense.”

I nodded forcing myself to calm down. Only when I was breathing normally again did
Johnny let go. “Okay I’m better.”

“Then let’s go.”

I walked calmly up to the information desk. I gave the lady working behind it a friendly smile. “Hello. My friend is in labor and I think they brought her here?”

The older lady gave me a friendly smile in return. “What’s her name and I’ll find out.”

“Michelle Dibenedetto.” I grabbed a hold of Johnny’s hand squeezing it tight to keep from fidgeting or screaming, both were a very real possibility for me as I waited.

“Yes she’s in delivery now. The waiting room is on the fourth floor to the right. Follow the signs, you can’t miss it.”

“Thank you so much.” I beamed before pulling Johnny towards the elevators. I squeezed his hand again as we waited for it to come down.

“Fucking hell you’re gonna break my fucking hand.” Johnny whined.

“Hush it. Either I do this or start jumping up and down or screaming or something.”

“Fine.” He grumped at me.

When the doors opened I all but ran in causing me to run smack dab into the person leaving it. The guy didn’t even look at me just pushed past. It took me a second to realize it was Zacky. “ZACKY!” I hollered waving at him.

He stopped and turned back towards us. “Kinzi? What the fuck are you doing here?”

“What do you think? Looking for you dumbass.” I know I really should think before I speak.

“That so?” His voice was full of doubt. I realized his eyes had gone from me down to where Johnny and I were still holding hands. Oh shit. I forgot we had been holding hands and it was obvious by the way his eyes shimmered with anger he mistook the reasoning for it. “I highly fucking doubt that.” With that he turned and headed towards the exit.

“Wait!” I hollered dropping Johnny’s hand so I could stop Zacky.

“I’ll wait upstairs.” Johnny said softly before getting in the elevator.

I ran after Zacky. Man he was moving faster then I was. I caught up to him outside. “HEY! Wait up!” When he didn’t stop I ran until I was in front of him and stopped forcing him to stop or run into me. By the way, I did it in four inch heels without breaking my neck thank you very much.

Zacky crossed his arms over his chest as he all but glared at me. Man even Frosty would be chilled by the ice in his gaze. “Kinzi I don’t have time to talk to you right now Michelle’s in labor.”

“I know. That’s what I need to talk to you about.”

He didn’t say anything just raised a brow at me.

I took a deep breath gaining the nerve to say what I had to. In true me fashion I just blurted out what I was thinking. “Don’t sign the birth certificate.”

Zacky’s brows drew together in confusion. “Why not?”

I reached out placing my hand on his arm. “Cause the baby isn’t yours.”

Zacky just stared at me. “How do you know?”

“It’s kinda a long story?”

“Talk while we walk. I left her overnight bag in the car.” He said nodding towards the parking garage.

I did just that. While we walked to his car I told him everything. I recited the whole conversation I had overheard to him by the time I was done we were at his car. We both stood there saying nothing for a few heartbeats.

Finally Zacky broke the silence. “Why are you telling me this? Are you angry because I chose Michelle?”

He thought I was lying! I swallowed back my anger, not an easy task just let me tell you. It didn’t matter why he thought I was doing it, just as long as he listened. “I’m telling you this because it’s the truth.”

“That’s the only reason? It has nothing to do with us.” He asked with his damn eyebrow raised again.

I knew he could see my temper rising. “No dumbass. There isn’t an us. I get that. But the truth is that I love you enough to not want you to throw your dream away for a lie.”

“So you admit it, you do love me, this is about us.”

I wanted to scream in frustration. “God damn it Zachary James Baker! Fucking listen! Yes I love you. Yes I understand you’re with the whore…I mean Michelle now. But NO I’m not lying. I’ve never lied to you and I wouldn’t start now. Stay with Michelle, don’t stay with her, believe me, don’t believe me, it doesn’t matter. Just please please please don’t sign the birth certificate or do anything else stupid until after you have a paternity test done.”

Zacky threw his hands up into the air in surrender. “Holy fuck if it means that much to you I won’t sign it right away.”

I let out the breath I didn’t know I had been holding. “That’s all I want. I just don’t want you to have any regrets.”

His entire face softened as he eyes spoke volumes. “Too late for that Kinzi.”

I opened my mouth to respond but the shrill ringing of his phone cut me off. After a few seconds on it he hung up. “I gotta go.”

I gave him a small sad smile. “I know. Tell Johnny I’ll just meet him out here.”

Zacky did the last thing I expected. He leaned down and placed a kiss on my forehead letting his lips linger longer then necessary before turning and heading back into the hospital.

A few minutes later Johnny came outside. “You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m just ready to go home.”

He put his arm around me giving my shoulders a quick squeeze before heading towards the car. “He gonna sign it?”

I shook my head no. “I don’t think so.”

“Good.” Johnny said with a sigh of relief as he backed the car out of the space and we headed home.

As thoughts swirled inside my head like a tornado I realized something. Hating someone was a lot easier than loving them. Too bad I couldn’t hate Zacky.