Sequel: Second Heartbeat
Status: Active

Changing Your Stars

Graduation

I sat with Cam, Dani and Johnny watching Matt, Zacky, Jimmy, Brian, and Val graduate. I laughed as Jimmy took the stage with his crazy hair, orange pants and yellow kimono. Dani stood up screaming for him as he did a roll and then popped up to grab his diploma. The entire crowd burst into laughter at his antics.

The three of us screamed for all of them, yes even Zacky. We had started speaking again after Michelle had the baby. The baby looked nothing like Zacky and I was thankful that he listened to me and decided not to sign the birth certificate. He told his parents about his doubts and they were supporting him in getting a DNA test, something Michelle was fighting. Of course I know why she’s fighting it while no one else understands it.

As soon as the graduation ceremony was over the four of us made our way down to where the rest of the gang were on the field. I hugged Jimmy first who of course spun me around chanting ‘Free at last!’ the entire time. Next was Brian followed by Matt and Val.
That of course left Zacky, who was just standing there with his signature bad boy grin on his face. “Hey.”

“Hey yourself.” I replied smiling back at him. “So you’re officially out of here.”

“Yeah I guess I am.”

I put my hands in my back pockets trying to think of something to end this awkwardness between us. I looked at my shoes watching as I kicked dirt around. “So like I heard you were being scouted by New York.”

Zacky shrugged like it wasn’t a big deal. “Yeah but I’m not trying to go pro anymore.”

I looked up at him honestly shocked. Being a major league baseball player was something he had always dreamed of. “Why not?”

He grinned at me again. “Decided the life of a rock star was more my speed. Ya know party all night; sleep all day type of thing.”

I shook my head laughing. “Yeah that does sound better for you.”

Zacky and I both turned when we heard his name being screamed. Right on cue it was Michelle and his family. Michelle was holding up the baby’s arm making it wave saying ‘wave to daddy’. His face now somewhat unhappy he turned back to me. “I have to go.”

“Yeah. Okay. Later.” I replied feeling rather disappointed myself. Every time I thought maybe
Zacky and I could talk she showed up and made sure we didn’t. I turned around to walk away when I heard Zacky call out my name. Turning back around and raised a brow. “Yeah?”

“You gonna be at Brian’s tonight?” When I nodded he smiled. “Cool. I’ll see ya there then.”

I watched him turn and walk away cause I’m all about torturing myself. When I talked back to the group they were all smiling at me. “Oh no. No way. We’re just talking, that’s it.”

“For now.” Cam added with a sly grin and everyone started laughing.

I rolled my eyes and let them think what they wanted. It didn’t honestly matter anyhow, come tomorrow night I was headed to New York.

Later that night…

We were all hanging out at Brian’s house since his parents were out of town for the weekend. I know what you’re thinking and no they were at his graduation but caught a flight right afterwards. So as soon as we showed up, Brian took our keys so we could get trashed but be safe about it. I had already proved what happened when you drink and drive.

I was in the middle of getting a horsey back ride from Jimmy when Zacky showed up. Thank God the whore wasn’t with him.

“Where’s Michelle?” Dani asked. She always was the nice one.

“At home thank fuck.” Was Zacky’s exasperated reply.

“Then drink up bro cause you ain’t going home.” Johnny said happily as he tossed Zacky a beer.

“Then here. You carry her ass around.” Jimmy said plopping me down on Zacky’s lap.

“Hey! Fucking giant has no manners, sorry.” I giggled up at him. I’m a little tipsy, sue me.

Zacky grinned down at me. “No problem. I mean fuck it’s not every day he drops a hot girl in my lap.”

I rolled my eyes and hopped off his lap. “Whatever.”

I went out to the back and found a very serious beer pong game going on. It was Val and Matt verses Bri and Cam. Have I mentioned that by now we were all at least slightly lit if not on the verge of being wasted. I was drinking slowly because it seemed bad things happened when I drank too much.

“I got winner!” I hollered.

Brian raised a brow at me. “You need a partner first.”

“I got her.” Zacky replied draping his arm over my shoulders.

I rolled my eyes at him again. “You’re lucky you’re good at this or I’d object.”

“I’m good at lots of things if you remember correctly.” He said wiggling his brows at me.

I tilted my head to the side as if thinking. “No actually I don’t remember anything of the sort.”
Everyone died laughing as I sauntered away from him.

An hour later Zacky and I were the King and Queen of beer pong and yes I had drank my fair share of it. Truth was I wasn’t drunk but I wasn’t feeling any pain either. I was relaxing enjoying my last night with my friends. Yeah you heard me correctly; my flight to New York is tomorrow night. I have tonight and tomorrow left in Cali and then I was going to be in a New York state of mind. As I sat there watching the craziness that surrounded me I knew I was going to miss this.

I was going to miss Cam and Bri’s make out sessions, Jimmy chasing Dani around for God only knew why, Matt’s constant teasing of Val, and yes everything about Zacky. I had been consciously trying to commit everything from tonight to memory. I didn’t want to forget a single thing about any of them. They were the first real friends I had ever had and I loved them all. Feeling a little misty I got up and headed into the kitchen to get myself something a little stronger then beer.

I wasn’t in there long when I heard the door open and shut behind me. “Hey.”

I turned around at the sound of Zacky’s voice. He was standing just inside the door like he was unsure of his welcome. His face was drawn and he was rubbing the back of his neck, none of this was a good sign.

I gave him a small smile back. “Hey yourself.”

The smile he gave me was a nervous one. “Can we talk?”

I shrugged as my stomach twisted itself into knots. “Sure. Whatcha wanna talk about?”

Zacky turned as screaming mixed with laughter drifter through the closed window. “Can we go somewhere a little more private?”

“Uhhhh yeah sure.” I said pushing away from the counter. I followed Zacky because he knew Brian’s house better than I did. I swallowed hard as I found myself in what I assumed was a guest bedroom. “You sure this is the best place?”

Zacky frowned as he looked around before he seemed to get why I was a little hesitant. “It’s not like that Kinz. This just has a door that locks.”

I raised my brow at him.

Zacky rolled his gorgeous green eyes at me. “God not like that. It’s just we always get interrupted.”

I had to give him that, we did. Somewhat a little hesitantly I sat down on the bed. “Okay you wanted to talk.”

He nodded and was quiet for a minute like he was trying to gather his thoughts. He started pacing and I watched him silently, giving him the time he needed. “You’re leaving tomorrow.”
I nodded.

“Well there’s something I need you to know before you leave.” He looked over at me and I couldn’t breathe. It was like all the pretenses were gone. He was going to be honest, no games, just the truth. I wasn’t sure I was ready for whatever he was going to tell me.

“Nathan is yours, isn’t he? I was wrong. I’m so sorry.” I whispered in shock.

Zacky’s eyebrows drew together in confusion before he shook his head. “No the DNA test hasn’t even been done yet, Michelle’s fighting it.”

I watched him walk over and sit beside me on the bed. “Oh.” I mumbled. Yeah I’m a freakin Shakespeare with the words, I know.

He reached out and took my hand in his. “I want to talk about us Kinzi.”

I couldn’t breathe. He couldn’t be serious. There wasn’t an ‘us’, I was leaving town tomorrow. “There isn’t an ‘us’.”

He pinned me with his gaze, but it wasn’t hard, it was soft, full of feeling. Obviously not something I saw a whole hell of a lot of. “That’s not what I fucking want, I love you Kinzi.”

I choked staring at him in shock. “You what?”

For the first time I saw his vulnerable side. He sucked on his lip rings for a second before repeating himself. “I fucking love you.”

“Zacky…” I shook my head, of course now he tells me, when I’m leaving. “I leave tomorrow.”

He sighed running his hand over his face. “I know but I just…ya know….wanted you to know.”

I looked down at our joined hands feeling as though it was much more than just our hands that were intertwined. My heart knew what it wanted, to stay beside Zacky for the rest of eternity, but life had other plans for us. My eyes welled with tears until I was afraid I would start crying if I didn’t get a grip on myself.

“Kinzi?” Guess I was quiet enough he got worried. Placing a finger under my chin he lifted my head until I was looking at him. What I saw brought tears to my eyes. His beautiful green eyes were shining with the softest glow of pure love I had ever seen. How many times had I saw this look in the movies and wished desperately to have someone look at me, just once like that. It was enough to start the water works. Hot tears flowed down my cheeks and onto his hand.

Zacky gathered me into his arms, holding me close and yet not close enough. “Baby please don’t cry, it kills me when you do.” He murmured against my ears before his fully lips found my cheek, kissing away my tears.

I turned my head and our lips collided. He paused for a second but when I didn’t pull away he kissed me in earnest. I moaned as his snakebites bit into my lips and he took advantage of it. His tongue explored every inch of my mouth as he tried to devour me. Yet it wasn’t enough. I wanted, no needed to be closer to him.

I pushed him down onto the bed without even realizing what I was doing. This was my last night with him and I wanted to make it count. Deep down in my heart, maybe even my soul I knew Zacky was the one. There was no way I could ever love someone as much as I loved him. I shivered in pleasure as his hands found their way under my shirt, caressing my back as our lips continued to duel for supremacy. Each time his rough hand passed over my bra it hesitated, I’m guessing as he fought the urge to unhook it. With shaking hands I began to unbutton his shirt, and he froze. I lifted my head just enough so we could look at each other.

“What are you doing?” His ragged voice was music to my ears. How could you not love a man who stopped you even when it was obvious how much he wanted you?

I smiled down at the guy I loved knowing nothing else had ever felt so right. “Trying to undress you.” He stilled my hands as I tried to continue to do just that.

“We don’t have to.”

I leaned down, pressing a gentle kiss to his lips. “I know.” I whispered against them before sitting up. His eyes widened as I pulled my shirt up off me, throwing it in the corner without looking. I was rewarded with the sound of his swift intake of air.

“You’re so fucking beautiful.” He whispered in awe as his hands traveled up my sides cause chills of excitement to run through me.

Before I could respond he had pulled me down to him, kissing me so tenderly I thought I would start crying again.

“I love you.” He breathed against my lips before rolling me over so I was under him.

“I love you too.” I managed to get out before he claimed my lips again, this time with a kiss that held a promise of the things yet to come.

Zacky spent the rest of the night showing me what love felt like. There wasn’t a moment I didn’t feel beautiful or special and I knew I had chosen correctly. I loved Zachary James Baker and always would, no matter what. He completed me in every way imaginable. Years from now I would look back at this magical night and know that I had experienced love in its truest and purest form. I had come to Huntington Beach to change my stars and instead I found my moon, for Zacky’s love was a force that would forever help guide my life no matter how far apart we were.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is the next to last chapter, just thought I'd warn ya. :)