Sequel: Second Heartbeat
Status: Active

Changing Your Stars

New School, New Friends

Today was my first day of school and let me tell you I can’t wait. If you’re sensing sarcasm, it’s well part of my charm. The only good thing about any of this is that I can test out the new improved Kinzi. No one here knows me as the straight A captain of the cheerleading squad.

With a deep sigh I forced myself out of my black convertible BMW. People were gawking already as I climbed out and headed towards the entrance. “Nice hair.” Some blonde bimbo called out and then all her mindless friends cackled. I forced back my smart retort opting instead to flip off Barbie as I walked by.

Where was Jimmy when you needed him? I looked around the school in slight wonder. It was a whole lot prettier than I thought it would be. Wow that sounded kind of stuck up didn’t it? I stopped once I was inside trying to figure out which way the office was.

All of a sudden I felt a tapping on my shoulder. I spun around expecting to see Jimmy instead it was this really tall girl. I swear she had to be at least 5’10”, shoulder length dirty blonde hair, high cheekbones, and blue rimmed emerald green eyes. I swear she looked like she could be a freakin model if it wasn’t for her curves. I kind of hated her for them. Guys loved curves, not stick figures like me. I was one step away from being a boy I swear, God must have passed over me when he was handing out tits and ass. I frowned as the mystery girl smiled revealing perfect white teeth. “You look like you could use some help.”

I shifted my backpack a little self consciously as I looked up at freakin wonder woman. “That obvious huh?”

She laughed and I had to force myself not to roll my eyes, even her laugh was perfect. She would have so fit in at my other school it wouldn’t have been funny. “A little. So I’m guessing you’re new?”

I sighed, “afraid so.”

Mystery girl smiled again. “Well then I bet you’re looking for the office.” When I nodded she continued. “Then I’ll walk you to it. My homeroom is right down from it.”

“Cool.” I mumbled as I followed her down the hallway. I looked around as we walked thinking surely I would see Jimmy or Bri any minute.

The mystery girl was all rays of sunshine as we walked down the hallway. She didn’t really say or do anything but she had this positive energy that just seemed to radiate from her. It was a little annoying this early in the morning. “By the way my name is Danielle Cullen but you can call me Dani.”

I smiled up at her cause she was being really nice to someone she had no reason to give a flying fuck about. Especially because it wasn’t like I was really being nice to her. “Nice to meet you Dani, I’m Kinzi Rubin.” I followed her into the office already lost; this school was a lot bigger than the private one I had attended previously.

Dani smiled sweetly at the older woman behind the desk. “Good morning Mrs. Miller.”

The old woman smiled at Dani obviously she got along well with the staff in the school. “How are you dear?”

Dani smiled politely. “I’m doing wonderful! Thank you for asking. I have a new student with me who needs her schedule.”

“Of course dear, what’s their name?”

Dani flagged me up to her side for me to answer. “Kinzi Rubin.”

The woman’s smile faded slightly as she took in my appearance. Guess she didn’t approve of my short pink hair, incredibly ripped jeans, my Pink Floyd tee shirt that had the neck cut out so it rested off the shoulder. Good thing she couldn’t see my worn out Converse from behind her desk, no doubt that would send her over the edge. My own smile grew as hers faded. I couldn’t help it; it was the exact reaction I had been hoping for.

“Okay let me check.” Mrs. Miller said before turning her attention to papers on the desk. “Ah yes.
Here you are, Kinzington Rubin.”

I took my class schedule when she slid it over to me. “Thanks.” It didn’t come out nearly as warm and fuzzy as I guess it should have judging by her deepening frown.

“I’m going to show her to her homeroom.” Dani said smiling as she hooked her arm through mine and practically dragged me out of the office.

I tried to move my arm out of hers but she wasn’t having any of it. Ooookay then. “Thanks for helping me out.”

Dani finally let go as she smiled down at me. “You are most welcome!” When I grimaced her smile waned some. “What?”

I shook my head. “Nothing, you’re just so…up beat.”

Dani’s entire face lit up. “Thanks!”

I shook my head laughing. It wasn’t supposed to be a compliment but she was too positive to recognize that.

We stopped a few minutes later in front of what I was assuming was homeroom. “Okay well here’s your homeroom. You’re in my first class so I’ll meet you back here okay?”

I smiled thankful to have a guide for my first day. “Yeah that works.”

“Okay I’ll see ya in a few!” She said waiving before she disappeared from sight.

Taking a deep breath a opened the door and went inside. After the embarrassment of being introduced to everyone I gladly took my seat in the back. The whole time the announcements were being made I couldn’t believe that Jimmy or Bri hadn’t searched me out. They were supposed to be my best friends and yet they had left me alone to find shit on my first day. Fine.
They were in the same category as Zacky now. Fucking men!

Yeah Zacky was on my shit list. It was over a week ago that I had given him my number and nothing, NOTHING! Guess it all had been a stupid bet. I squashed the twinge of hurt that flared in my heart. Whatever, last thing I need is a cute guy with the prettiest green eyes I’ve ever seen complicating my life more than it already was.

Before I knew it the bell rang for us to head to first period. As promised Dani was waiting for me right outside the door. “Hey let me see your schedule again.”

I raised a brow at her but handed it over anyhow. I watched as she scanned it quickly. “Yep we’ve got four classes together and you’ve got two with my sister Cammie.”

“Great.” It didn’t come out as enthusiastic as it should have but Dani seemed to miss it. But I was still kinda pouty about the whole Jimmy/Brian/Zacky thing. As if my thinking of him was enough to conjure him up there was Zacky leaning against some a locker talking to some girl. Great it wasn’t a bet, it was better, he had a girlfriend already. Fucking asshole. I bit my tongue to keep myself from verbalizing that very thought across the hall too him.

I moved over to the other side of Dani putting her between me, Zacky and what turned out to be the rest of the guys. Fine they didn’t want to be seen with me at school then fuck them too. I was tired of not being good enough for other people.

Dani of course picked up on the source of my discomfort but misread it. “They’re all seniors hanging out over there and NOT the kind you want to hang out with. At least not if you don’t want to end up in detention or worse.”

That got my ire up a little. “I bet they’re nice if you get to know them.” Why was I defending them? They were in the process of ignoring me let her bad mouth them all she wants.

Dani shrugged as we walked by them. I noticed that her eyes lingered on Jimmy a little longer than the rest. I had a feeling she secretly had a thing for him but I just met her so I’d keep my big mouth shut for now.

We walked in silence the rest of the way to first period. Once we got there I took an empty seat beside Dani and was glad for the distraction, my mind had too much to think about. At least trying to solve Trig problems would keep my mind busy in the right way.

Too soon the bell had rung and Dani was walking me to second period History. “Okay now we don’t have this class together but my sister Cammie is in it.”

“So you two are in the same grade?” How in the world was that possible unless of course they were twins. “Twins?”

Dani didn’t look over as we navigated our way through the hallways. “Nope not twins. Cammie is my step sister.”

“Oh.” That was lame but I couldn’t think of anything else. “So which one’s the evil one?” Or wait was that saying for twins? Oh well.

“Cammie would kill me if I didn’t say her, so Cammie.” She replied laughing and it was infectious, I ended up laughing with her.

“Okay so what does she look like so I know who she is?”

“Oh there’s NO missing her, you’ll realize that, but let’s see. She’s got hair so red it looks black, brown eyes, and her lip and nose are pierced. Add to that the tattoos and her attitude and yeah you CAN’T miss her.” When she spoke of her sister it wasn’t with judgment or disgrace it was with humor born of love. It reminded me of how I use to talk about my brother. Pain squeezed my chest so tight I couldn’t breathe for a second. It always hurt to think about Neil. Suddenly I realized Dani had stopped. This must be my history class. “Okay I’ll see you at lunch?”

“Sounds like a plan.” I forced the fake smile from my former life onto my face. Lying this time was the easiest and safest thing for me to do. I didn’t want to have to explain my sudden change in mood.

I let the façade fall away once Dani was around the corner. Pushing the door open I resignedly walked inside. Of course EVERYONE turned to look at the new girl. Immediately I picked out Cammie. Dani was right she was impossible to miss. She totally had the whole rebel without a cause going and again I was slightly jealous. She just gave off this ‘I don’t give a fuck/you’re messing with me at your own risk’ attitude.

After yet again introducing myself to the class I took an open seat beside Cammie. We were in the middle of going over the course outline when I finally decided to speak. “I’m guessing you must be Cammie.”

Cammie stopped doodling and just looked over at me, her eyebrow raised. “Someone already warned you about me?”

I smiled slightly. “I met your sister earlier.”

“Ah miss student body president in all her glory, how nice for you.” Again her words came out harsh but they lacked the bitterness that would cause them to sting. She loved her sister but she tried to hide it more than Dani did for whatever reason.

“Okay, I just gotta ask, is she always that perky?”

A deep sigh left her lips. “You have NO idea.”

I felt for her I really did. If anyone was ever that perky around me 24/7 I just might want to kill myself. Bad analogy I know but you know what I mean. “Wow then I’m really sorry for you.”
Cammie chuckled, “thanks.”

“Shhhh.” Was whispered angrily from behind us causing us both to turn and stare at yet another blonde haired blue eyed Barbie. I swear somewhere someone was making a fortune off bleach, cause no way was this Barbie a blonde naturally.

Cammie held up her right index finger and I realized there was a tattoo on it. I laughed as I read it. It said ‘Shhh’. “Mind your own business you fake ass Barbie.”

I couldn’t help but laugh at the look of disbelief on Barbie’s face. Instantly her hate filled eyes turned towards me. “What are you laughing about freak?”

“That you’re so stupid you have to pay attention on the first day when all we’re fucking doing is going over an outline and getting books. I mean damn how dumb are you?” It was mean, I know but damn it I was tired of girls like her. Hell I was ashamed to say at one point I was like her and I knew for a fact she truly thought I was a freak and would hurt me without batting a perfect eyelash.

Cammie laughed so loud everyone, including the teacher, looked at us. “Ladies I will ask you to keep your personal conversation to a minimum l while you’re in my class. Unless of course you would like to stay after school for a one on one session.”

“Sorry Mister Stoner.” We answered in unison.

Stupid fake Barbie snickered behind us. “I swear I hope she’s in my PE class so I can put Nair in her shampoo bottle.” I mumbled to myself but I guess Cammie heard it cause she covered her mouth to stifle her laugh.

Once she had herself under control she smiled over at me. “You know, I like you already new girl.”

“You can call me Kinzi.”

“I think I like new girl for now.” She replied with a teasing smile.

I just shook my head laughing. Cammie would so fit right in with the guys. I fought a pout when I remembered that I wasn’t talking to any of them right now. “Okay well then I’m calling you Rebel.”
Cammie shrugged. “I’ve been called worse.”

I nodded my understanding. I too had been called a lot worse once I quote unquote turned my back on my ‘friends’. “Same here.”

“Lucky for me my hearing isn’t worth shit though.” She added with a smirk and again I found myself laughing.

The rest of the class went pretty uneventful and so did the next period which I had all by myself. Before I knew it, it was time for the adventure known as lunch. Lucky for me my new friends Dani and Rebel had found me and insisted that I sit with them. Unlucky for me it seemed the guys had the same lunch period and were dangerously close to spotting me if I couldn’t hide or disappear and quick.