The Vampire's Promise

Chapter thirteen: Think

"I'm not sure that I can do this," I told Vladimir as I finished putting on the armor. "I... I mean, I think I need more practice; on actual people."

"You'll do just fine," Vladimir placed his hands on my shoulders. "I won't let anything happen to you, okay? Remember our promise?" He placed a soft kiss to my ear and I closed my eyes, letting out a long sigh.

"Okay, but you better stay safe too," I said and turned away from the mirror. "I don't look silly?" I asked, opening my eyes and looking up at him. My eyebrows were pulled together in worry.

"Relax," he said quietly. A calm feeling rolled through me as he moved his hands from my shoulders to my face.

"How many times am I going to have to keep reassuring you?" he laughed. I rolled my eyes before looking away from him, trying to fight a smile. "Hey, look at me. Everything is going to be fine. Besides, not a lot of people look good in armor."

"You do," I stopped fighting the smile and looked to him again.

"Well, thank you." He kissed my lips, and I returned the kiss. "Alright, let's finish preparing."

He began strapping weapons to himself and me, carefully concealing them afterward. A heavy cloak was then placed over my shoulders, and he tugged one around himself as well.

"Isn't it going to be a bit warm?" I asked.

"It won't be warm where we're going," he took my hand and lead me from the room. That was reassuring, I thought.

We came to stop in front of another room, and Vladimir gave me a short smile before knocking on the door. The door opened to reveal a man whose black hair was unusually straight.

"Your majesty," the man seemed startled. He pulled the door open further and gave a low bow.

"What is the exact situation, Jorslev?" Vladimir asked the man.

"Uh, well," the man stuttered, straightening his posture. "Y-you see, three demons seem to have taken over the south tower. O-oddly they didn't bring others with them, a-although they k-killed the men we had posted there."

I covered my mouth to hide my giggle. The poor guy seemed terrified!

"Thank you," Vladimir nodded and turned to walk away. I patted Jorslev's shoulder, and then followed Vladimir.

When we were a respectable distance away, I decided to ask Vladimir about the poor man, "Why is he so nervous?"

"I don't know, honestly," Vladimir sighed.

"Is he always like that?" I laughed a little, picturing him with other people.

"He never was until half a year ago," Vladimir pulled open another door, this time leading outside. A few horses waited to the right.

"That sounds a little odd," I gave Vladimir a look as he lead me to the horses.

"Yes, well, he did watch his entire family get slaughtered by demons." He handed me the reins of one of the horses.

"Oh." I stared at the horse for a while. "Uh, wait. I've never ridden a horse in my entire life."

Vladimir sighed and looked from me to the horse a few times. "You can ride with me, then."

Vladimir took the reins from me. He got onto the horse first with an ease I feared I would never have. The horse made a noise as Vladimir held his hand out toward me. I took it, and he helped me onto the horse, seating me in front of him.

"O-okay, now what?" I asked, grabbing onto the horse for dear life.

"Now we ride." He whistled and gave a tug on the reins, and the horse began to move.

The horse's speed made me reach behind me and grab onto Vladimir, who chuckled at the movement. One of his hands let go of the reins to rest against my stomach. I assumed the gesture was supposed to feel comforting, but that didn't help the fact that I was stuck on a horse. I hated horses.

As we approached the tower, Vladimir made the horse slow its pace. We came to a full stop near the forest on the left.

"We're going to sneak up on them," Vladimir whispered.

"How are we going to do that in all of this armor?" I raised my eyebrows. Vladimir grinned and his eyes shifted to that eerie violet color again. "Oh."

We made our way over to the tower.

--

The door to Jorslev's office creaked back open not too long after Vladimir and Carol had left, and Jorslev's gaze darted nervously to the open doorway. He stood up from his chair, shaking as he walked over to the doorway.

"H-hello?" he called out. He poked his head out of the room, looking in either direction. There was no one there.

Jorslev swallowed hard before stepping back into the room and shutting the door.

"Hello, Jorslev," a voice from behind made Jorslev jump and turn around. He let out a frightened noise as he did so.

"D-Dorian," he gave a quick, shaky bow to the red-haired man who stood before him.

"Now, now," Dorian wagged his finger as he stepped closer. "No need for such formalities. Our plan is ready to be set into motion, with them gone."

"O-of course," Jorslev gave another bow.

"Jorslev, you really don't need to do that," Dorian lifted the shorter man's chin. "You're practically royalty now. After all, it's the least I could do for all of the souls you gave me..."

"Y-yes sir." Jorslev straightened, though he was still shaking rather violently.

"Don't forget to slip this into her drink." Dorian pulled a small pouch from his picket, tucking it into Jorslev's jacket.

"O-of course, sir," Jorslev nodded, and Dorian was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any mistakes will be found and fixed later.