The Vampire's Promise

Chapter three: Where is she?

A week and a month earlier...

He sighed, leaning back in his chair. Strange shadows seemed to dance before him; the room he was in was completely dark. No lights were on, and he allowed himself to see as a human would. How do they deal with this?

There was a tug somewhere behind his eyes, and suddenly he could see the room as if there were several candles lit around it.

"That's much better," he muttered and straightened his posture. There was a knock at his door, and he sighed. "Come in."

In stepped the man who was in charge of giving orders to the kingdom's army. He gave a low bow, his straight black hair seeming to move like water in front of his face as he did so.

"Your highness," he greeted as he straightened back up.

"Jorslev, what is it that you need?" Vladimir asked, his eyes narrowing slightly. Jorslev seemed to crack under his gaze.

"M-many of your fine soldiers wish to know what your plans for the war are," he stuttered.

Vladimir turned away, his cheeks turning slightly pink. Jorslev wondered if Vladimir had any plans in mind at all.

"I... I'm unsure, so far. All we can do for now is... push our troops forward into the enemy territory."

"But, sir-"

"My men are perfectly capable of handling a few demons; they rarely heavily guard the Dragon's Jaws," Vladimir turned an icy gaze toward Jorslev.

"Y-yes, sir; right away," Jorslev bowed again before rushing out of the room.

Vladimir sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. They were going to lose the war if he couldn't come up with anything. The demons would win; they would destroy the magical realm, and then enslave the human realm.

Fear filled Vladimir. What would become of his sister, Elise? She would be kidnapped; taken away by the demons. Vladimir would not be able to save her, for his head would surely be on one of the demons' pikes. He couldn't let any harm come to her.

He quickly exited his study, heading toward the debate hall. He needed to speak with the head of the council.

The men were arguing about something as he approached. Vladimir wasn't listening to what they were arguing about; his mind was set on advice for the war. As soon as he burst through the doors to the debate hall, the room fell silent, and all eyes were upon him.

"Your highness," they spoke in unison, bowing shortly.

"Council," Vladimir gave a small nod. "I request an audience with Denor."

"Good heavens, child," Denor exclaimed, "whatever you have to say to me can surely be spoken in front of the entire council."

Vladimir's face and the tips of his ears turned red. He looked at the floor, but before he could get another word out, Denor spoke again.

"Before you can request any audience though, dear child," the much older man stepped down from the steps leading to an altar, "we must first ask you a rather important question."

Vladimir's face cooled down, and he looked up at the other vampire. His eyebrows knitted together as he asked, "You have something to ask of me?"

"Of great importance, I assure you," Denor nodded. The rest of the council murmured their agreement.

"The time has come," another member, Drevin, spoke, "for you to choose your queen."

Vladimir's eyes widened. The time to choose his wife for eternity had come so soon...? He had to look away then, remembering the promise he had already made. He had already chosen.

"There are many beautiful women in our realm," Denor nodded. "So many for you to choose from. If-"

"I've already made my choice," Vladimir interrupted the old man. "I've found my bride."

"Oh, really? Tell us her name. We wish to meet her immediately!" another member, Zels, demanded. Vladimir sighed, dropping his gaze to the floor once more.

"That's... a complicated matter. She-" he cut himself off. He had been about to call her human, when he remembered one small detail. Carol was no human; she was a card.

"She?" Denor encouraged the young prince.

"She resides in the human realm," Vladimir continued, earning gasps from every council member in the room.

"You can't be serious!"

"Tell us it isn't so?"

"You could have had any beauty in this realm, and you choose a filthy mortal from the human realm?"

"Who have I put my faith in..."

"Silence!" Denor quieted the voices in the room. "You have chosen a mortal to be your queen?"

"She isn't exactly... human," Vladimir searched for a way to tell them. "I can't say what she is right now. Am I-"

He froze again. That's it! He had his plans for the war now. Denor seemed to sense his sudden moment of inspiration, and smiled.

"Please, we would like to meet her soon," Denor requested.

"Of course, sir. I'll bring her here as soon as I can."

With that, he left the room. He didn't need to embarrass himself further after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that it's a short chapter, and that it's kind of a filler. The next one will be a bit more exciting, I hope. Let me know of any spelling mistakes! Yes, I've started coming up with bizarre names for characters.