Austin's Ambrosia

pardons & permits

“You shouldn’t have waited.”

You shouldn’t have smoked.

She looked at him with distant silence. “It’s alright. I said I would, right?” But inside, she was bursting to tell him to never do that again. She hated waiting for people; it made her feel forgotten and temporary. And even when she offered it, she deeply hoped they’d tell her not to. They never did.

“Come on, London must be pissed by now.” He smiled again, and she couldn’t help but stare at his white teeth. She didn’t know he smoked, and something inside of her panicked. She liked his white teeth. Such was her concern that she forgot to pitch in her two cents after his comment. Her silence was ordinary –overlooked, even- but her owlish stares weren’t.

And he noticed that much. “Something wrong, Am?”

She hated being called anything but Amber. He knew. Of course he knew. And yet, she still looked up at his eyes. If she permitted him to call her that, it would mean that they have a special friendship. So she let him.

“Sorry. I’m just, well, surprised.” She turned around and started walking towards campus. “I didn’t know you smoke. That’s all.” And I don’t like it. Sorry, Austin. She swallowed the words to the back of her lungs, where the rest of the unsaid words were kept. He didn’t need to know.

He caught up to her, grabbing her shoulder. “Am?” She cringed at the pet name. “Promise you won’t tell London, please?” She never considered it. And she wanted to tell him as much. It was one moment she’d keep to herself, another fact to be doted down in her mental list of Austin’s quirks. The less people knew about it, the more special it felt.

“Promise.”

She felt her chest constrict when he smiled. “Thanks Am, you’re the best.”

She didn’t cringe that time.
♠ ♠ ♠
just a little insight into amber's mind. there'll be more of these; however, i'll attempt to keep them short.

♥ feedback is incredibly welcomed.