The High School Years of Elizabeth Miller

Under the Rain

The weather matched my mood. It was gloomy, with grey clouds covering the sky and it looking like it would rain at any moment. I was in my last period, but if it started storming we could be stuck there until it stopped. The teacher, Mr. Baker, had given up teaching and was at his desk. I looked out the window and sighed, the drops had started falling but no lightning, so I’d just have to run.

The girl next to me was looking out the window sadly too, she wasn’t talking to anyone either. Her name was Marissa King; we had a few classes together but hadn’t talked much.

“Marissa,” I said to get her attention, and she glanced over. “You ride my bus, right? Number 2510?” I’d seen her a few times on it, but I tended to stare out the window and day dream rather than chat.

She nodded. “Yeah, which is going to stink with all this rain today.” I agreed, and glanced out the window to see it had started pouring.

I groaned. “Worst day ever.” I complained, and she looked up to glance out the window too. “Do you have an umbrella?” I asked her.

“Of course!” She answered happily, and reached into her book bag to grab a bright pink one with polka dots. I smiled at it, it matched her. Right after she pulled it out the bell rang, and everyone scrambled to put away papers and folders.

“Mind sharing?” I asked hopefully, gesturing to the still pouring rain outside. “I forgot mine this morning, woke up late.” Which was the start to my horrible day.

She smiled easily. “Sure.” We walked outside of the portable classroom, which was a good ways away from any covered walkways.

“Can you believe that project Mr. Baker gave us today, ridiculous.” I started as we walked toward the bus ramp.

Marissa groaned. “I know, do you have a partner yet?” I shook my head; I didn’t know anyone in the class yet and had been dreading asking someone. “Want to work together? I’ve got a few ideas, maybe not today but you could come over tomorrow…”

By the time we made it to the bus, we’d already brainstormed and made plans. I sat down in my regular seat, and she slid hesitantly next to me. We swapped cell numbers and talked a little more about the project. By the time my stop came, the sun was shining again. “See you tomorrow, Marissa.” I waved goodbye and grinned. High School was getting better.
♠ ♠ ♠
word count: 427

There's probably quite a few mistakes, so I'll proofread again tomorrow. In a rush because I should of packed an hour ago and need to leave now, sigh. Entry tomorrow will be late, college tour all day and it's a four hour drive.

Thanks for reading!