Status: completed.

His Name Is Kirby Jones

twelve;

After hanging out for an hour or so, Ronnie made his leave with his friends. Josh managed to get Elena’s number, and the two girls left respectfully. They got back to Elena’s house and relaxed, painted their nails and prepared for Kirby’s barbeque.

“I’m actually excited.” Zoey admitted, and Elena smirked.

“You know, I think Kirby likes you.” She said and Zoey felt her stomach flip at the thought.

“I wish.” Zoey mumbled, and continued to curl her hair. Elena straightened her own hair, and got dressed, decorating the romper with brown waist belt, and some black flats.

Zoey got dressed too, and accessorized with Elena’s hat, perching it gently at a tilt of her head. She put on some bracelets and borrowed some of Elena’s expensive perfume. By half four, both girls were ready.

“I guess we could leave now.” Elena said, and Zoey nodded eagerly. The two girls said goodbye to Elena’s parents, promising to be good and left for Kirby Jones’ house.
--
“Cute.” Elena commented, as she saw the bright red, yellow and blue flowers in front of the house. They could smell smoke, which meant the barbeque was being set up. Walking up to the door, Zoey’s heart hammered against her chest as she knocked on the door. She straightened her top and glanced at Elena who smiled back her.

“Breathe.” She whispered, and Zoey did, exhaling silently.

The door swung open, and Kirby came into view. Zoey almost melted on the spot. He was wearing some chino shorts, with a white The Beatles t-shirt. His hair was in curl mess perfection, and he was wearing his cross as usual. In all, he looked beautiful.

“Nice shirt.” Elena commented confidently. Kirby thanked her and told her she looked great too. Zoey felt a spark of jealousy. Kirby’s eyes glanced over her, and he smiled widely.

“You look gorgeous Zoe.” He said, and her cheeks began to burn.

“Come on in…” he urged, and stepped back for them to come in. Elena waltzed in, and Zoey followed behind.

“Everyone is out back. Zack seems to think he’s some great cook.” Kirby teased as they into the yellow kitchen. Elena scoffed at what Kirby said. Zoey couldn’t help look around, smiling as family pictures were hung up. She saw some baby pictures, one specifically of what must be Kirby as a child with light brown hair, still in curls and was sitting on an elderly man’s lap. It must be his grandfather.

“Aw, look at you.” Zoey murmured, as she gazed at the framed photograph.

“I know, I’m adorable.” Kirby teased. He opened the back door for Elena, who skipped out and boomed a warm hello to Kirby’s grandparents.

“You coming?” Kirby asked, as he loitered by the door, waiting for Zoey. She nodded and followed him out. It was nice and warm, the smell of food cooking drifted into the air. Zoey’s eyes glanced over the large garden, which was very neat and had some lovely flowers. There had to be about ten people here.

“So, is there like family here?” Zoey asked quietly, as Kirby smiled down at her as they walked side by side.

“My grandparents invited my neighbours and kids…” he explained. Zoey, nodded understanding.

“Hey Grandma, come meet Zoey!” Kirby called. A petit woman with a white perm walked over. She looked very pretty in a long floral skirt, and a white top. She had dark brown eyes, just like Kirby.

“Ah Zoey, so this is the beautiful girl my grandson has been talking about non-stop?” the woman teased. Kirby’s eyes widened and Zoey saw his cheeks tinge with pink. Zoey giggled, and felt her own cheeks blushing.

“Um….” She said, unsure and the woman chuckled softly.

“Lovely to meet you my dear, I’m Dora.” She introduced, holding out a perfectly manicured
hand. Zoey shook her hand and smiled brightly.

“Nice to meet you too Dora, thanks for having me.” Zoey said politely. Dora smiled widely at her, as they let go of one another’s hands.

“Nonsense my dear, I love that our Kirby has made some lovely new friends. That girl, Elena is a fresh spirit isn’t she?” Dora said happily as the three of them walked into the busy party.

“She is.” Zoey agreed, giggling. Kirby smiled at the sound, and by mere thought, put his hand on the small of her back, just like Ronnie did earlier. Zoey tensed but relaxed, and told herself to stop being silly.

Zoey was introduced to the neighbours, and the small children who seemed to like her company. Elena and Zack were chatting, and Zoey waved over at them as Kirby said she had one more, important person to meet.

The elderly man was sitting on his own, with a scotch glass in his hand. He was staring into space, and when they approached, he looked up and gave a meek smile.

“Kirby, my boy, who is this?” he asked, peering at Zoey. Zoey gave a brave smile, and nodded slightly. She felt like curtseying for some reason.

“Pops, this is Zoey…Zoey this is my all amazing Pops.” Kirby gushed, and Zoey smiled, hearing the happiness in Kirby’s voice.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Mr Jones.” Zoey said softly, and Michael looked up, confused.

“Mr Jones? Call me Michael my dear….” Michael insisted. Zoey nodded.

“I’m going to get us some drinks. What’d you want Zoe?” Kirby asked cheerily. Zoey glanced at him nervously.

“Um, just a soda please.” She said, Kirby nodded.

“Another scotch Pops?” Kirby asked. Michael grinned and passed him the glass. He put a finger to his lips.

“Don’t tell my wife.” He said, and Kirby laughed. “I won’t.” he promised and sauntered off, to get the drinks. Zoey stood awkwardly in front of Michael, unsure was to do.

“Take a seat Zoey, make yourself comfortable.” Michael said, patting the spare deck chair
beside him. Zoey did as he said, and crossed her legs, and sat up slightly.

“So, you’re Zoey?” Michael repeated. Zoey looked at the man, and smiled gently.

“That’s me.” She said, in a sing-song voice. Michael gave a toothy grin, and nodded in what seemed approval.

“Kirby likes you, you know?” Michael said, and Zoey didn’t know what to say. She gave a look of surprise and Michael chortled softly.

“My Grandson is never good at hiding things…” he said, and Zoey gave a meek smile.

“It’ll come together soon enough though, you wait and see.” He said, and tapped his nose. Zoey politely smiled again.

“Hopefully.” She added, and Michael chortled again. Suddenly, his face went black and it appeared he seemed lost, he looked at Zoey in surprise.

“Oh Hello, I’m Michael Jones…pleasure to meet you.” He said, holding out his hand. Zoey felt a bit uneasy, and confused.

“Um, Hello, I’m Zoey.” She introduced, accepting his handshake. Michael gave a smile.

“Do you know Kirby? My Grandson?” he asked, and Zoey nodded.

“I do, we’re friends from school.” She said, knowing to just keep playing along. Inside, she
felt completely confused. They had just met, so why did he claim not to know her anymore.

“Pops, here’s your drink.” Kirby said brightly. Michael looked up in surprise.

“My drink? I don’t drink Scotch Kirby…” Michael insisted. Zoey saw Kirby’s smile drop, and she glanced at him, showing him a look of confusion. Kirby didn’t seem that phased though, and nodding.

“You’re right Pops, my bad…here’s your soda Zoey.” Kirby said, handing the Coca-Cola can to her. It was perfectly cold, and Zoey instantly opened it. It made a hissing sound and Michael glanced at it, looking lost still.

“I’ll have a tonic water please Kirby.” Michael said, and Kirby nodded.

“Sure thing Pops…” he said, and began to walk away again. Zoey quickly excused herself;
Michael nodded and went back to gazing into space. Zoey quickly caught up with Kirby in the kitchen. Kirby was pouring the alcohol away.

“Kirby?” she said gently, stepping forward.

“Yeah?” he asked, as he rinsed the glass out and got the tonic water out the fridge.

“Does your Grandpa have Alzheimer’s?” Zoey guessed as the dots connected. Kirby froze, and put the glass down. He turned around and leaned against the counter.

“Yeah, he does.” He said quietly. Zoey stepped closer so they were about an inch apart.

“I’m sorry.” She said quietly, not sure what else to say. Kirby nodded. “Can we talk later about it?” he asked quickly, without any hesitation, Zoey nodded.

“Sure.” She said, and Kirby gave a smile. He quickly stepped forward and hugged her gently.

“Thanks Zoey.” He murmured in her ear, and Zoey felt her skin tingle. He broke the embrace and collected the drink and went back out. Zoey took a minute to calm down, before following.
--
The early evening drew on, and it stayed light for quite some time. Food was passed around, drinks were handed out and everyone appeared to have fun. Kirby’s ipod blasted out some music, which Michael complained about many times.

Zoey watched Michael, discreetly and the more she watched, the more it became apparent that he did have a mental illness. During the evening, he’d forgotten that he already ate twice and he called Dora by the wrong name three times. It actually saddened Zoey to see a grown man forget what he was, and who he was talking too.

Kirby and Dora, and it appeared everyone else acted completely normal and didn’t show any sudden shock of what was happening to Michael, so Zoey felt obliged to do the same. Zoey had some food, and sat with Kirby and her two best friends, who seemed quite cosy together. At one point, Elena was sitting on Zack’s lap, giggling. Zoey smiled as she watched her two best friends.

Dora had lit an outdoor fire, as the sky began to darken, and the sun began to set. Two of the neighbours had gone home, but there was still a nice group. Zoey felt comfortable around everyone. Michael had been asleep for the past hour, when he suddenly woke up.

“Kirby!” he called, and Kirby placed his plate on the side and walked over to see what his grandfather wanted. Kirby began to protest, but Michael began arguing back, smiling.

Kirby rolled her eyes and went into the house. Confused, Zoey watched and continued to nibble at the breadstick she had taken. Dora shuffled over, and smiled at Zoey.

“How are you my dear?” she asked softly, and Zoey smiled meekly.

“I’m great thanks, you?” Zoey asked happily, and Dora grinned.

“I’m doing well, do you want to help me round people up….Kirby is going to sing us a song…” Dora said, and Zoey perked up in surprise.

“A song?” she repeated, and Dora nodded and patted Zoey’s knee and shuffled off again. Zoey got up, and went and told Elena and Zack and some of the neighbours and everyone seemed to form in a group. Within minutes, Kirby reappeared with a black acoustic guitar, looking nervous.

“You sing Jones?” Zack teased, as he put his arm around Elena, who happily stayed there. Kirby rolled his eyes.

“Shut up, I didn’t want to do this.” He mumbled, as he sat on the stool Dora pulled out for him. The children hushed up as they sat in front of Kirby, and Dora took her seat by Michael. Zoey, well Zoey sat to the side, on the bench, and sat crossed leg and watched as Kirby tuned the guitar.

“Um, okay well Pops wants me to sing a song for you all…despite my protests.” Kirby announces, chuckling slightly. Everyone joins him and gives him smiles of encouragement.

“Yeah so Pops loves The Beatles, so this is his favourite song…” Kirby said and he began to strum. Within the first ten seconds, Zoey recognised it to be the famous ‘Let it be”. Kirby began the lyrics, and his voice was soft and in tune. In fact, he was incredibly talented.

The song played on and filled the evening air, and Zoey noticed the children, particularly one girl Molly was mouthing along and her older sister, Jennifer was swaying next to her. Michael was smiling at Kirby, as he too closed his eyes and lost himself in the music.
When the song finished, Zoey and everyone else politely clapped and Zoey found her smile widened as Kirby’s eyes glanced at her, he winked and Zoey’s heart fluttered. It appeared Zoey was beginning to fall hard for Kirby Jones.
--

A couple of days after the barbeque, Kirby and Zoey continued on as normal. If anything, they were talking more. Elena and Zack seemed more together, Zoey had noticed. In fact, Zoey swore she saw Elena and Zack holding hands when they left Kirby’s that night.
She didn’t question it though.

Kirby and Zoey were sitting outside, on one of the many benches and lunch had just begun. Elena and Zack hadn’t joined them yet. Zoey giggled as Kirby told her a joke.

“Sup Kirby” Jonah’s voice came from behind them. Zoey turned her head, and her smile dropped as Jonah and his friends were there. She glared slightly.

“Um, Hi Jonah…” Kirby said confused. Jonah had never spoken to him before. Jonah nodded and looked at Zoey.

“You’ve got to babysit tonight.” He told his sister, as he lit up a cigarette. Zoey nodded.

“Okay, where’s everyone then?” she asked, and Jonah shrugged.

“Drew’s on a date I think, Lucas is doing some project with a friend, Tommy and I are going out…” he said, exhaling the smoke. Zoey nodded.

“Okay, well see you later then.” Zoey said awkwardly, and Jonah nodded before walking off, his friends silently following him.

“That was…” Kirby began.

“Awkward.” Zoey and Kirby said at the same time.

“Jinx!” they said again, laughing. Kirby smiled as Zoey cheekily grinned at him. A curl had fallen in front of her face again. Kirby softly brushed it back, causing Zoey’s skin to almost burn at his touch.

“You’re weird.” He told her, teasingly. Zoey nodded “That I am, but so are you.” She told him and Kirby chuckled in agreement.

“Sup bitches!” Zack called, as he put his and Elena’s tray down. Elena took her seat and thanked him.

“Hi Zackary Albert Jonathon.” Kirby said, and Zack’s eyes widened, and instantly glared at Zoey who was sniggering. Kirby couldn’t contain his own laughter either. Elena patted Zack’s shoulder comfortingly.

“I can’t believe you told him my real name!” he whined, and covered his eyes in despair. Zoey let out real, loud laughter.

“I’m sorry! It’s just too funny!” Zoey burst out, and covered her mouth again as a new wave of hysteria hit her. Kirby was the same and pretended to wipe tears away.

“As if you have three first names!” Kirby exclaimed and Zack glared coldly.

“Shut up! It’s not funny!” he argued, and Kirby shook his head in disagreement. Elena allowed a small smile as she saw Zack getting so stressed about his name.

“You can talk Kirby, who calls their kid Kirby!” Zack attempted to get back at his laughing friend. Kirby laughed, then stopped, then laughed again.

“I don’t give a shit about my name, I sound like of one of those Furby toys.” Kirby said, and
Elena started to giggle. Zoey however, was still laughing at Zack’s response. Zack rolled his eyes and suddenly picked up a carrot stick that he had chosen and threw it at Zoey’s face, who suddenly stopped laughing.

“Hey! No vegetable violence!” she argued, and Zack laughed.

“You deserve it –” Zack threw another carrot stick and hit Zoey right on the nose, she glared.

“You told him my full name.” he finished and threw another stick. This time Zoey caught it, and bit it, chewing noisily.

“Thanks for the snack.” She mocked, and Zack stuck out his tongue.

“Zackary Albert Jonathon, geez man you sound like royalty.” Kirby said, as he sipped his can of soda. Zack huffed.

“It’s not my fault, my Mom liked Zackary, my Dad wanted to call me after my great-uncle and then they both decided that Jonathon had to be squeezed in.” Zack explained, and Kirby smirked.

“Aw dude, it’s not that bad….” Kirby said, and Zoey couldn’t help burst into laughter again, which caused Kirby and even Elena to join in. Zack scowled, and crossed his arms.

“You suck!” he shouted, and turned away. Elena tried to calm him down, and made a funny face at Zoey, who just managed to contain her laughter.

When lunch was just about ending, Zack mumbled about going to the library and Elena offered to go with, leaving Kirby and Zoey alone. They were both in good moods, due to their laughing fit earlier.

“So what you got next?” Zoey asked, as she pushed her tray away, symbolising she had finished. Kirby shifted his leg, so he was now sitting facing Zoey, one leg either side of the bench.

“Math, you?” he asked, and Zoey thought for a moment.

“Um, Biology, I think…” she said, laughing and Kirby rolled his eyes and watched as Zoey did the same, so they faced each other.

“Hey Zoe?” he said softly, and Zoey looked at him, giving him a gentle smile.

“Yeah Kirby?” she asked, feeling nervous.

“I was wondering if you’d….” he paused, as a flash of nervousness appeared on his face.

“If I’d…” Zoey urged, as her stomach flipped about a million times.

“Would you go out on a date…with me?” Kirby asked, and Zoey, for one mere second, stopped breathing. Her heart went into overdrive, and Kirby looked at her anxiously.

“Yeah, that’d be great.” Zoey said, her voice sounded pitchy. Kirby chuckled to ease the tension between them.

“So how about this Saturday? I’ll pick you up at seven…” Kirby said, and Zoey without thinking nodded.

“Great.” He said, finishing that conversation and just in time, the bell blared out, indicating it was time for class. Zoey practically floated into Biology, in a complete daze.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments, please? :)

Thanks to whoever is reading<3