Status: completed.

His Name Is Kirby Jones

thirteen;

“You’re going on a date with Kirby Jones?” Elena asked, in disbelief when Zoey informed her later that evening when she called her best friend. Kennedy had been put to bed, and now Zoey needed Elena’s help.

“Didn’t I just tell you that?” Zoey replied smartly, and she could almost picture Elena rolling her eyes.

“This is….this is….wow.” Elena muttered, unable to form a real sentence. Zoey bit her lip nervously.

“What?” she asked suddenly sounded panicked. Zoey sighed.

“I knew it! I’m way out of his league! What the hell am I thinking?” Zoey snapped, outraged with herself for thinking Kirby could like her.

“Whoa, hold on…I wasn’t even suggesting that. Just, Kirby doesn’t seem the dating type exactly…well from what I heard.” Elena explained, and Zoey felt herself become curious.

“What have you heard?” Zoey asked, sitting up on her bed, and bringing her knees to her chest.

“Well, Zack and Kirby are good friends right?” Elena said, and Zoey made an agreeing noise.

“Well, Kirby told Zack that he wasn’t that into dating, and he couldn’t see himself in a relationship anytime soon…” Elena said, sounding sad. Zoey’s hopes suddenly diminished.

“Oh.” That was all Zoey could muster.

Elena sighed, feeling guilty for crushing Zoey’s hopes. “I’m sorry, but that’s what Zack told me” she said softly.

“It’s fine.” Zoey said with a sigh, and breathed in deeply.

“Ah well, I’ll see how this supposed ‘date’ goes” Zoey said, trying to sound cheerful.

“Want me to pick you out an outfit?” Elena asked.

“You need to come over anyways to be my cover, is that okay?” Zoey suddenly asked, remembering that if her brothers found out about this date, she’d be screwed.

“Sure thing, okay well see you tomorrow Zoe” Elena said, Zoey half smiled.

“See you tomorrow El” she replied

“Love you” El called

“Love you too” and after three seconds, they both hung up simultaneously. Zoey sighed dramatically, and fell back, hitting her head on the pillow.

“Boys suck.” She muttered, as the phone left her grasp. Just as she was about to go downstairs to get a drink, her phone buzzed, indicating a text.

What the hell! <3 – Zack

What? <3 – Zoey

Facebook. Now- Zack


Zoey’s breath hitched up, and she frantically went to her desk and clicked a random button on her laptop, sliding into her seat, she logged into Facebook and saw she had one notification. As she clicked, she saw that ‘Ronnie Gink has posted something on your Wall’.
Zoey’s heart hammered, and when she clicked on it, and the internet loaded onto the right page, Zoey felt her mouth drop as a single heart was from him.

Just one, but it meant something.

Ronnie Gink doesn’t do hearts.

“What the fuck…” Zoey muttered under her breath as she stared, shocked, at the screen.
She wondered what had possessed Ronnie to do something so public.

Public.

“SHIT!” Zoey cursed, as she realised Tommy in particular would see this. In fact, all her older brothers would see this. They were all friends with Ronnie Gink. |Knowing Tommy, he checks his Facebook on his phone, regularly.

Immediately, three random people liked the post. Zoey was stuck, having no idea how to respond. Zoey’s phone began to buzz, and Zoey frantically went to it.

What’s going on with Ronnie? <3 – Elena

I don’t know! <3 – Zoey

He doesn’t do hearts Zoe, is something going on? <3 – Elena

I know! And of course not! <3 – Elena

Your brothers are going to murder him <3 – Elena

I’m screwed :( <3 – Zoey

Good luck! <3 – Elena


Zoey sighed heavily, as she typed another text to the person causing this drama.

Um…Ronnie? – Zoey

Hey Pretty Girl ;) – Ronnie

Why did you put a heart on my wall? – Zoey

Why not? – Ronnie

People will think something is going on – Zoey

Let them think that – Ronnie


Growling with frustration, Zoey threw the device on the bed and went back to her screen, the likes had gone up to five.

“Damn it!” she cursed, and she almost fainted when Tommy began to comment.

What the fuck Ronnie?

What’s the problem, it’s a heart…get over it.

You better not be seeing my sister!!

I’ve seen her

You’re fucking dead.

Ooh, I’m scared :’(

Zoey shook her head, as she saw what Ronnie put. He was deliberately trying to wind Tommy up.

It didn’t help that Ronnie’s friends liked his comment. Zoey stared helplessly as Tommy commented back.

Just you wait, Ronnie…

That a threat?

It’s a promise

Bring it Thomas, I’m not afraid.

Fuck you

Nah thanks; your sister does that for me ;)

Zoey gasped, as she saw it and tears collected in her eyes. She’d never do that. She’d never behave like that, especially with one of Tommy’s friends. Hurt hit her, and Zoey felt her eyes leaking with tears. Several people liked the comment, and Zoey knew she was going to be in for it.

Zoey’s phone began to ring but she didn’t answer it. She quickly closed the page, and she walked over to her bed, she lay down, and curled up in foetal position. She began to sob gently; she wrapped her arms around herself, as if to protect herself and cried. She’d been humiliated and now everyone would think that she’d had sex with Ronnie. Her brothers were going to hate her.

She’d wish she’d never met Ronnie Gink.
--
Zoey fell asleep, but found her being shook away.

“Go away.” She mumbled, as she tried to go back to dream world.

“Zoe, we need to talk.” Drew’s voice came to hear ears. Zoey’s eyes shot open. She curled up tighter, and heard Drew sigh gently.

“Peanut, please come downstairs….” He pleaded and Zoey stayed silent. Drew placed a hand on her shoulder and rolled her over. She stared at him blankly.

“Come downstairs.” He repeated, and Zoey shook her head. Drew breathed in softly.

“We’re not angry, just please come downstairs…” he said, and Zoey knew she couldn’t disobey. Zoey got up slowly, and wiped her eyes as she left her room, trailing downstairs, with Drew close behind. She could hear Lucas, Jonah and Tommy in the kitchen, discussing something.

When she walked in, they all fell silent.

Drew came in after, and closed the kitchen door behind them. “Take a seat Zoey…” he urged, and Zoey sighed as she shuffled over to the breakfast bar, and lifted herself onto a chair. Jonah was sitting on the counter diagonal to her, Drew was now facing her, and Tommy was sitting beside him, with Lucas leaning against the fridge.

It felt like an interrogation.

“Now Zoey, you must have seen what was on Facebook?” Drew asked, Zoey silently nodded.

“And we want to ask-“ Drew began, delicately. However, Tommy rudely interrupted.

“Are you fucking Ronnie Gink?” he snapped furiously. Lucas gave a scowl, and Drew slapped his arm.

“Tommy, calm down.” He warned. Zoey looked at Tommy, hurt in her eyes but he didn’t seem to register it.

“Do you believe it?” Zoey felt the need to ask. Tommy sucked in sharply.

“Answer the question!” he shouted furiously, almost shaking.

“Tommy!” Lucas chided, and stepped towards Zoey, putting his arm around her.

“Of course not Zoey, just humour Tommy….” He assured her. Zoey nodded and leaned in against him.

“No, I’m not even dating Ronnie….I don’t know why he posted that on my wall, I hung out with him once, on Saturday when Elena and I went to go get coffee and he sat with us. That was it. I haven’t had sex okay? I’m a virgin.” Zoey said quietly, but firmly. Jonah seemed to sigh with relief, as did Drew.

Tommy visibly calmed. “You must be so upset…” Lucas said sadly, hugging Zoey, who suddenly burst into tears at his comfort.

“Everyone’s going to think I slept with him! They’ll say I’m a slut!” Zoey cried, hugging Lucas tightly. Drew’s face softened, as did Tommy.

“I’m sorry Zoey, I didn’t mean to be so harsh.” He murmured, and got up and swapped placed with Lucas.

Zoey hugged him and refused to let go. She felt safe now, in her family’s arms.

“Wait till that fucker…” Tommy grumbled, but stopped when Zoey looked at him sternly. However, without her noticing, Jonah gave Tommy an assertive nod, that Ronnie Gink was most definitely going to be fucked up.

“We’re protective because we love you, you know that right?” Drew explained, and Zoey nodded silently.

“We know what boys want Zoe; we are the ugly species ourselves…” Tommy added, and Zoey laughed slightly, her voice cracking.

“Kenny’s not ugly.” She joked, and the boys laughed softly.

“In our eyes peanut, no one will be good enough.” Drew said, and ruffled Zoey’s hair, she shrugged. She didn’t feel like arguing. She was too tired.

But when Zoey went up to bed, turned the light out and was about to lose consciousness.

She realised that going on a date with Kirby, was even more riskier than she thought.
--
When Zoey returned to school the next day, she should have seen what would happen. A majority of the school was talking about her. All because Ronnie Gink, who had gone to this very school, had posted a heart on her Facebook page, than claimed they’d had sex.
Ronnie Gink was a popular guy, and Facebook was worldwide network. Everyone knew.

As Zoey slowly made her way to her locker, looking at the floor, she heard one girl hiss at her viciously.

“Have a rough night?” she sniggered, and the girl’s friends cackled with laughter as Zoey, burned with embarrassment and quickly fled off.

Zoey, somehow avoided her friends all day, swallowing in her own pity and humiliation. All morning, sniggers of crude comments and snide remarks about how good Ronnie was in bed echoed into her ears. Some guys even offered to show her some moves. With disgust, Zoey ignored them.

She’d never felt so belittled and so disgusted with herself. Zoey also couldn’t believe she’d fooled herself into thinking Ronnie was a decent guy.

At lunch, with the thought of food making her queasy, Zoey retreating outside and went to the West Wing, it was the oldest part of the building, and people tended to avoid it as no seating areas were there. Zoey settled herself on grass, back against the vandalised, crumbling wall, she pulled her knees up and leant against them, burying her head against her kneecaps in shame.

It was then; Zoey began to show her true emotions, which overall was hurt, and misery.
Tears fled out continuously, dripping off her cheeks. Short, raspy sobs came from her dried sibs, and Zoey felt herself begin to wallow. Zoey heard quiet footsteps nearby, but with willpower, refused to glance at the person, hoping they’d leave her alone.

But they didn’t.

The person dropped their bag, and took a seat beside her, it was then the person spoke.

“Zoey?” the familiar, smooth voice of Kirby Jones entered Zoey’s ears. With shock, Zoey sat up properly, and quickly wiped her eyes.

“Kirby, what are you doing here?” Zoey spluttered, but tears leaked again. Kirby gave a half smile, and patted Zoey’s knee.

“It’s school Zoe…” he joked lightly, and Zoey only allowed a trace of a smile to her lips. Zoey sniffed gently, and wiped her eyes again, thankfully she’d worn waterproof mascara.

“Want to tell me what’s going on?” Kirby asked lightly, his hand still on her knee. Zoey felt her eyes sting again as the salty water threatened to fall again.

She sniffed before speaking. “You know Ronnie?” she said meekly, and Kirby nodded. Zoey leaned her head against her knees, sideways so she still looked at him.

“He put a heart on my page last night, my brother flipped, but then he told Tommy that we had sex, and now everyone thinks I’m one of Ronnie’s sluts…and I feel so stupid because I actually believed he was a decent guy.” Zoey explained, her voice cracking twice before she buried her head in her knees again.

Kirby, instantly put his arm around her huddled up figure, and tugged her towards his chest, and by instinct, she hugged him back, untangling herself, she leaned against Kirby, wrapping her arms around his torso, and her head buried into his chest, wishing she could hide herself forever. He smelled so manly though, with a dash of cologne and a whiff of mint. She felt her stomach flip, but she immediately pushed it away at the back of her mind, as Kirby held her.

“What an asshole” he said, his tone angry. Zoey nodded silently, as she got herself together.

“Don’t listen to them Zoey, you’re better than that.” Kirby tried, but Zoey pulled away and stared at him hard.

“How can I not listen when everywhere I go, people are bitching about me; some guy said he’d pay me for sex!” she snapped, her voice shaking again. Kirby’s face tensed and he clenched his jaw.

“Who said that?” He asked, in a somewhat calm tone.

“I don’t know, Sam somebody…” Zoey mumbled, not really caring. Kirby nodded, and offered his arm again.

“Come here Zoe…” he murmured, and Zoey shuffled closer, she sat up right this time, and leaned her head on his shoulder, as he hung his arm around her waist.

“I’m pathetic.” Zoey commented, staring at a particular flower which had managed to survive against the weeds in front of her. Kirby shook his head.

“No Zoey, you’re not pathetic and you have every right to react this way. Ronnie Gink on the other hand….what he did. That’s pathetic.” Kirby said sternly, and Zoey shrugged and broke from their grasp again. Zoey sighed again, and thought about how after this, no one would talk to her.

“I don’t mind if you don’t want to be seen with me Kirby, I understand –” she began but was stopped when Kirby interrupted.

“Stop talking such shit Zoey, when have I ever cared about popularity? You’re my closest friend I have here Zoey, and I hate seeing you so upset because of what some fucker said about you. I don’t care what people think Zoey, and neither should you.” Kirby said with passion, and a hint of anger .

Zoey blinked, stunned and wiped her eyes which were now dry.

Kirby sighed, calming down as he stared in front of him. He looked at Zoey again and smiled softly.

“I’ll do you a deal.” He murmured, and Zoey’s eyes showed interest, but she didn’t voice her thoughts.

“I’ll let you cry, rant and wallow for the rest of the lunch period and I’ll even give you my food…but you have to promise me that when that bell goes, you snap back to it. You show those people in there that you really couldn’t care less.” Kirby said persuasively. Zoey smiled slightly and Kirby mirrored it.

“Do I have a deal?” he pushed, his eyes twinkled at her. Zoey nodded eagerly.

“We have a deal.” She confirmed. Kirby’s smile widened and he picked up his bag and put it between his legs, unzipping it and taking out a sandwich. He held it out for Zoey to take.

“It’s chicken.” He added, and Zoey grinned and gladly took it, and unwrapped it carefully on her lap. Her stomach growled with hunger. She took one half, and held the rest of it out to Kirby.

“It’s for you.” He insisted.

“I don’t like eating alone.” She lied, and Kirby rolled his eyes and took the sandwich. Satisfied, they ate in silence.

“Thank Kirby, for everything.” Zoey said, and Kirby nodded, accepting her gratitude, and they sat in a comfortable, serene silence.

“You know something?” Zoey said suddenly, breaking the silence. Kirby turned his head and looked at her, searching her face.

“What?” he voiced calmly.

“I’m so glad you moved here.” Zoey admitted sheepishly, and looked at his face for his response. Kirby smiled knowingly, and they both looked ahead of them, a field of grass and weeds in front of them. Further down was a road, but it seemed so far away now. It took a couple of minutes before Kirby spoke again.

“Me too.” He said truthfully, and he didn’t notice Zoey’s smile, which replicated his perfectly.

It was a smile of satisfaction, with happiness. After lunch finished, Zoey unfortunately didn’t see Kirby, in fact she had a suspicion he had left school. When school ended and Zoey dragged herself out to Jonah’s car, she saw ‘Red’ was missing.

Ignoring the unsettling feeling in her stomach, Zoey silently got in the car and they drove home. It wasn’t till about ten o’clock that night, with her homework done, Zoey lay on her bed, her mind filled with endless thoughts. Zoey’s phone rang, and within seconds, she answered it to hear the familiarity of Zack’s voice.

“Hey Zack.” She said quietly, looking at her nails, and noticing they needed filing. She got up and walked over to her draw where she kept bits and pieces. She was sure to find a filer.

“Hey, just wanted to check you were okay…” Zack said warmly. Zoey’s heart filled with love and gratitude as Zack checked up on her.

“I’m doing okay, it’ll be over soon.” She assured him, and herself.

“Yeah, well I’m glad you’re okay Zoe.” Zack said.

“I’ll live, thanks for checking up…” Zoey said softly.

“Anything for one of my best friends” he said seriously, and Zoey smiled to herself.

When they hung up, Zoey fell sound asleep that night, not allowing the Ronnie drama to bother her. With a brighter attitude, Zoey went to school as normal and greeted Elena and Zack with a hug, Kirby was still nowhere to be seen.

“You guys seen Kirby?” Zoey felt the need to ask as they entered homeroom. They both shook their heads and all three shared a look of confusion. Entering the classroom, hushed, excited whispers filled the air. It wasn’t till Zoey sat down, that some random cheerleader who’d she never spoken too bounded up to the three friends.

“Did you hear?” she asked excitedly, her grin widening by the second. Elena glanced at Zoey than back at the bubbly girl.

“Hear what?” Zack asked, confused. The girl almost exploded before answering.

“That new kid? Kirby Jones?” she pushed, hoping one of them would understand. They all stared confused, Zoey with worry. What about Kirby?

“What’s happened?” Elena snapped impatiently, losing her last thread.

The girl rolled her eyes before answering:

“ Kirby apparently went and found Sam Toner yesterday after lunch, punched him right in the jaw, but it gets better, he was sent home and he went searching for Ronnie....Kirby punched Ronnie Gink, gave him a black eye!” she squealed, and as if by practice, all three friends’ jaws dropped in shock.
♠ ♠ ♠
Soooo....who likes Kirby? ;)

Next chapter, the date.... :D

Please comment, it really motivates me :) <3