Status: completed.

His Name Is Kirby Jones

sixteen;

When the following Saturday rolled around, Zoey was by herself at home, shuffling around in some old sweatpants and one of Tommy’s band t-shirts. She was debating a movie day in, when that lunchtime, somebody knocked at the door.

“Coming!” she bellowed, and made her way to the door, unlocking it, and when she opened the door, she came face to face with Ronnie Gink, with his black shiner.

“Ronnie?” Zoey stuttered out, shocked. Ronnie looked at her, his fringe flicking in his eyes.
He didn’t look good, dressed in baggy sweats and a hooded sweatshirt. His left eye was surrounded with a black, purplish colour.

“Hey” he said quietly, looking down again, he shook his fringe out of his eyes, flattening his down with his hand.

“What are you doing here?” Zoey asked, anger in her tone. Ronnie shifted slightly, and glanced behind him.

“I need to talk to you…” he murmured, and Zoey scoffed.

“Well I don’t want to talk to you, so please leave.” She demanded, clenching her fist on the door. Ronnie sighed, and looked at Zoey desperately. She was about to close the door.

“Please.” He begged, putting his hand out to stop her closing the door on him.

“Please Zoey.” He begged again, Zoey rolled her eyes and let go of the door and motioned him in. Ronnie stepped in and Zoey closed the door behind them, counting to ten in her head to stay calm.

“What do you want?” Zoey snapped, as she stormed into the kitchen, and going to make herself a coffee.

Ronnie obediently followed and loitered by the door, watching as she got out the cup and boiled the kettle. Ronnie couldn’t help but admire her; she still looked pretty in baggy clothes. He couldn’t stop his eyes from trailing down her body, lingering on her ass.

Zoey huffed and spun around, Ronnie’s eyes shot up and Zoey glared “I haven’t got all day Ronnie, so talk!” she spat irritably. Ronnie tried to think of how to start, but his mouth had gone dry. He swallowed slowly, breathing in deeply for courage.

“I…I came to apologise Zoe.” Ronnie said softly, and Zoey paused as she was spooning coffee powder into the coffeemaker. She looked at him, and her eyes narrowed again.

“Little late for that Ronnie, you’ve already done the damage.” Zoey said in a deadly tone. Ronnie knew she was going to be difficult, and that he wasn’t going to be forgiven easily. Ronnie stepped closer, warily.

“I know Zoey and you have no idea how guilty I feel….I shouldn’t have done what I did but your brother was pissing me off, and I just…I was confused and I wanted to talk to you…I have no excuse for what I did to you.” Ronnie babbled, confusing himself. Zoey finally stopped what she was doing and dared herself to look at him in the eye.

“You’re right, you had no excuse.” Zoey said tightly. Ronnie nodded, rubbing his neck, he’d never felt so nervous in front of a girl before. He was so confident usually, but when it came to Zoey, he seemed to completely lose it.

“I’m so sorry Zoey, if I could take it back I would.” Ronnie said solemnly. Zoey nodded twice, and looked at the coffee in front of her, suddenly not wanting one.

“I thought we were friends Ronnie…friends don’t do what you did. You made me look like a complete slut; do you know how many people called me that Ronnie?” Zoey ranted, and Ronnie caught her eyes, and shook his head.

“The whole entire student body, I was shoved into my locker, I was made fun of and the top it all off, a guy offered to pay me for sex because apparently you’d bragged on how good I was.” Zoey spat, tears welling in her eyes. Ronnie felt like he’d been stabbed in the heart as he saw the hurt in her eyes.

“I swear to you, I never said anything else, they were lying Zoey…” Ronnie said, and Zoey glared, tears spilling over slowly. Hot tears dripped down her cheeks.

“Does it matter? I was treated like shit Ronnie….all because of you!” Zoey yelled, her lip shaking. Ronnie couldn’t take it anymore and walked over to Zoey, stepped closer, she stepped back, about to swear at him again, when Ronnie cornered her.

“Come here.” He said, and Zoey tensed and Ronnie hugged her, and by default, Zoey hugged back, sobbing against his chest.

“I’m so sorry Zoey, I truly am…you never deserved that.” Ronnie murmured, Zoey pushed herself away and walked away from him.

“You can’t be here Ronnie, you can’t just walk in here….” Zoey snapped, refusing to give in.

“I know, but I came to apologise, please Zoey, forgive me?” he begged desperately, Zoey turned away from him. She felt his hand on her shoulder and herself being turned around to face him. He placed his other hand on her other shoulder, to keep her in place.

“Zoey Titian, please forgive me.” Ronnie said sincerely. Zoey sniffed, hesitating. Ronnie looked at her with such desperation. “Please?” he murmured. Zoey looked up at him, a stray tear on her cheek. Ronnie slowly reached and wiped it away.

“Don’t cry pretty girl, I’m not worth the tears.” Ronnie whispered. Zoey looked at him, still debating. But surely, she did nod.

Ronnie looked at her “You do?” he repeated, sounding almost shocked. Zoey nodded again. He smiled widely at her.

“I forgive you Ronnie, but we can’t talk anymore.” Zoey said firmly. Ronnie’s face fell, but he nodded, understanding they could no longer be friends.

“That’s going to be difficult.” Ronnie mumbled, letting go of her shoulders. Zoey wiped her eyes, completely dry of tears. She looked at him, unsure on what he truly meant.

“Not really, we’ve haven’t talked for three weeks…” Zoey said, stepping away, only for him to step forward, it was like they were dancing.

“Yeah and you have no idea how much it killed me not talking to you.” Ronnie replied softly. Zoey’s face softened towards him.

“You don’t even know me Ronnie…” Zoey replied smartly. Ronnie shook his head, reaching his hand to her face, brushing back a loose piece of hair.

“Oh contraire Zoey….I know you.” He argued gently, keeping his hand on her cheek. Zoey tensed, her breathing stopped for a mere second as her skin burned at his touch. Her eyes flickered to him, trying to work out his next move.

“Zoey, I have a confession to make.” He murmured, closing the small distance between them. His stray hand came to her waist. Zoey looked away, and wondered why she couldn’t move. Her body physically wouldn’t move. She tensed even more, beginning to sense his motives.

“What?” Zoey questioned, looking anywhere but at him. Ronnie directed her head to face him.

“Zoey, I don’t know how or why. I’ve only known you a short while, but something insane has happened to me…something that’s never happened to me with any girl before.” Ronnie began, leaning ever so closer, their noses now touching.

Zoey knew she had to move now, before a mistake was made.

“I’m in love with you.” He whispered so softly, she was sure she misheard.

“You’re…what?” she choked, leaning away. Ronnie chuckled, and guided her head gently back and smiled lazily.

“I love you.” He replied, and that’s when he completed it. He kissed her with as much passion as he could, as if he was trying to convince her. He hadn’t tasted these lips in such a long time, and being sober it was even better. He kissed harder, desperate for her to kiss back.

And Zoey stupidly did.

She didn’t know what possessed her, but she felt herself respond. His hand on her waist wrapped around to her back, his other hand brushed her cheek, down to her neck as she was pressed against him.

Then reality hit her. She didn’t love Ronnie, no she didn’t. But she did….she did love Kirby Jones.

“Ronnie!” Zoey said muffled, pulling herself forcefully away, out of his grasp. Ronnie stared helplessly at her.

“Zoey…” he began and Zoey shook her head, refusing to listen to it.

“No, no!” she shouted, covering her eyes and stepped even further away. Her lips burned, and her stomach twisted multiple times with guilt. She had been so foolish.

“We shouldn’t have kissed Ronnie, it was a mistake!” she yelled, her ears still covered. Ronnie ran a hand through his hair.

“You’re with someone aren’t you?” he said suddenly, realisation hitting him. Zoey’s lips closed, and she looked away shyly. Ronnie stepped closer.

“That Kirby guy….the one that punched me.” Ronnie said slowly, as he put the pieces together in his head.

“You asked for it!” Zoey argued, and Ronnie looked at her, giving a soft smile.

“I did…” he replied. Zoey sighed, and crossed her arms, protecting herself.

“Kirby Jones and Zoey Titian…who would have guessed” Ronnie said in disbelief. Zoey glared at him slightly.

“I’m not hideous…” she argued, and Ronnie chuckled.

“Course not Zoe, you’re beautiful. I just meant…that Kirby is one lucky guy.” Ronnie insisted,
Zoey rolled her eyes, and looked away again.

“He better not screw it up, he’ll have me to answer to you know….because somehow Zoey, you’ve become incredibly important to me. The mere thought of someone hurting you makes me go insane…”

“You’re talking bullshit.” Zoey snapped.

“No I’m not, I’m being entirely serious. I do love you Zoey, but clearly we’re not going to be together…” Ronnie trailed off.

“I like Kirby.” Zoey insisted.

“I know, I just wish it was me.” Ronnie mumbled sadly.

“Please leave Ronnie…” Zoey said, not wanting him here anymore as the guilt began to eat at her.

“Hey Zoe?” Ronnie asked, catching her attention. Zoey regained her focus on him, implying she was listening.

“Do you think if that Kirby guy hadn’t shown up and I hadn’t been an asshole…me and you could have worked?” Ronnie asked feebly. Zoey sighed and shrugged.
“I honestly don’t know Ronnie, but please I’m asking you nicely….please leave.” Zoey begged gently. Ronnie nodded, and quickly reached over, kissing her head.

“I’ll see you around pretty girl.” He mumbled, and then walked out, and Zoey heard the click of the door, exhaling deeply. The guilt swelled in her stomach harder. She had made a huge mistake.
--
Ronnie Gink trailed home after his secret spilled. He’d never thought he could feel this rejected before. Pulling his hood over his head, Ronnie sauntered off, he needed a smoke.
He rummaged in his pockets and luckily found the box, only one left. He popped it out, throwing the box on the floor, and placed it in his mouth. He ignored the dirty look from an old lady passing him, as he lit up, clicking his favourite lighter.

The desperate nicotine hit her bloodstream instantly, and Ronnie sighed with great relief as he inhaled deeply. Smoke trailed out his nostrils and he exhaled softly.
He couldn’t believe himself really, when he realised he was in love with Zoey. He’d never been in love before, but he was sure this was it. Zoey was an amazing person and she was never off his mind. In all, Zoey had changed him. Ronnie had cut back on the pot and had even handed out some job applications, merely because he wanted to make himself better, for Zoey.

He was foolish to think they could be together. That night they shared was something remarkable, but it was just one night. Ronnie had to remember that.
It wasn’t just that he couldn’t stop thinking about her, it was the fact his heart seemed to pick up around her, and his palms got a bit damper. It could also be that he constantly wanted to be with her, to see her, talk to her. He needed Zoey in his life.

But by behaving like his old self, he had lost that privilege. He’d abused it.
He knew he shouldn’t have said what he said, but he still did. He’d lost the only girl that he truly had feelings for. But still, if he couldn’t have Zoey, then helping her would have to come the close second. A sudden thought came into his head, remembering certain words that Zoey had mentioned previously.

Whisking out his phone and putting the smoke to his lips, Ronnie dialled a number, and as he put the phone to his ear, took the stick out of his mouth, exhaling into the breeze.

“Sup?” Eddie’s voice came through.

“I need Kirby Jones’ number, pronto.” Ronnie said, as he flicked ash onto the ground.

“Umm, why?” Eddie asked, sounding confused.

“Just do it you fucker.” Ronnie snapped irritably, as he inhaled again. Ronnie waited somewhat patiently as Eddie did his little magic to find the number. Eddie was always good with connections.

After a few more minutes, Eddie came back on the line “Okay, I’ve text it you.” Eddie said, Ronnie grunted thanks and hung up. With his smoke near the end, he quickly inhaled once more, and flicked the bud to the floor.

He kept the toxins in his throat a bit longer as he got the number and called it. Ronnie finally breathed out, as the dials rang.

“Hello?” Kirby’s voice came through.

“Kirby? It’s Ronnie.” He grunted, he didn’t particular like this guy but he was the only one he could ask.

“What the hell you want?” Kirby replied, and Ronnie couldn’t help smirk.

“I’m helping your girl out here…” Ronnie argued, and Kirby mumbled some cusses.

“What you doing concerning Zoey?” he asked suddenly.

“Nothing, just Zoey means something to me….I want to help her out.” Ronnie said, as he turned into the park.

“Ronnie, don’t fuck with me….” Kirby snapped angrily.

“Look, I’ve apologised about what I did and she’s forgiven me but that’s not important…what is…is the name of that guy that wanted to fuck her. I need the name Jones.” Ronnie demanded, anger seeping in his voice.

That guy thought he could hurt the girl he loved? Well he could think again.

“What the Sam guy? I already dealt with it…” Kirby snapped. He didn’t want anything to do with Ronnie Gink.

“Sam….last name?” Ronnie asked, as he glanced over a girl watching him.

“I said I already dealt with it…” Kirby growled, his own anger appearing.

“I know, but this kid needs a lesson taught specifically by me. So give me the goddamn name!” Ronnie shouted, causing a scene slightly.

“Why you even trying to help? You caused this.” Kirby snapped.

“Exactly, I’m trying to make amends.” Ronnie reasoned.

“What by beating some guy up….Zoey’s not that type of girl.” Kirby argued, and Ronnie clutched the phone tighter, frustration getting to him.

“Look, I know I said this was for Zoey but it’s actually for me okay? I don’t like it when people disrespect people I care about. I know I fucked up Jones but I need your help to at least try and prove myself. Please Kirby….I’m begging you.” Ronnie said, calmly.

He heard Kirby sigh before replying. “Fine, his name is Sam Toner…”

Ronnie grinned, and memorised the name.

“Ronnie, I have two things to ask in return.” Kirby said suddenly. Ronnie suddenly perked in interest.

“Name it.” Ronnie said, pleased to have the name.

“Punch that guy hard, and stay away from Zoey.” Kirby said his voice almost threatening.

Ronnie halted, and looked around. There was a deal going on nearby.

A little kid ran past him.

A couple were arguing.

“Deal?” Kirby said finally.

Ronnie knew he had to agree for the sake of Zoey and her happiness.

“Deal.” He agreed, and without further notice, hung up.

Ronnie sauntered further into the park, a satisfied, but somewhat sad smile on his face. He would gain some respect, but lose a friendship. Sacrifices had to be made.
♠ ♠ ♠
It was time for Ronnie to apologise....what you think about his confession? :)
Thank you so much to those who commented, you know who you are and seriously you're amazing for doing that :)

Gave me some motivation and I have ideas again! :)
So thank you!

Next chapter should be romantic/dramatic....stay tuned :)