Sequel: Like Phantoms Forever
Status: Completed

I Lost My Fear of Falling

Break Your Little Heart

I guessed that Mikey had carried me home, because I woke up in my own bed.
My heart felt like it had been incased in lead. It got heavier when I realized I had to tell Wes.
I took a well needed shower and got dressed quickly. I needed to get out of the damn house.
My boots crunched on the snow as I walked out to my car. In the time it took for me to fumble with my keys, Mikey was standing by the passenger side door. I unlocked it for him and we drove off to Wes’s house.
Frank’s car was parked out front when I pulled up. At least Wes would have some moral support.
Wes took one look at our serious faces and said, “Is Emmy pregnant?”
“If I was, we wouldn’t be in this mess.” I muttered. “Come on, you’re gonna need to sit down for this.”
“What happened?” Frank asked.
“My parents are getting divorced.” I laced my fingers with Mikey’s, drawing strength from him. “I have to move to California in a month.” River told me this morning before I left.
“In a month?” Wes’s face scrunched up like she was gonna cry. “You’re leaving in a goddamn month?!” Frank wrapped his arm around her.
“I don’t wanna leave you guys.” Oh fuck, now I was gonna cry too. Mikey kissed my temple.
“You can stay with me. My parents love you.” Wes said frantically. “We can fix this.”
“There’s nothing we can do.” I sighed. “My parents won’t let me stay.” My eyes brimmed with tears and I turned my face into Mikey’s shoulder.
“Get out guys.” Wes blurted. “I need best friend time.” Mikey looked like he was gonna argue for a minute, but then he looked at my face and nodded.
“Frank, can I hang out with you?” Mikey asked.
“Yeah man, come on.” Frank said, grabbing his keys. I kissed Mikey goodbye and then let Wes tow me up to her room.
There were pictures of us plastered all over the walls, starting from when we were about ten to now.
Wes was still a brunette in one of the pictures close to me. We were thirteen and at the Jersey shore.
My heart clenched.
I would be saying goodbye to so many memories.
“Cry.” Wes said simply, holding her arms open for me.
So we hugged and cried and watched our favorite movies and pigged out all day long. Then I called my mom and told her I was staying with Wes for the night. I think she felt bad for me because she said yes.
--
Going back to school was hard. Especially since I’d be leaving soon, I felt no need to pay attention or even try.
It wasn’t until I was walking out of the bathroom during lunch when I remembered where I actually was.
And that was because a gang of Meatheads was rolling up from right behind me.
“Where’s your boyfriend now, freak?” Brian said, pushing me into one of his idiot friends. They shoved me around in a circle and I let them do it.
Until I realized I had nothing left to lose and stood my ground.
“Touch me again and you’ll never have kids.” I threatened. Brian smacked my ass so I swung my backpack as hard as I could into his crotch.
“Anyone else wanna fuck with me?” I snarled, looking around. Brian was on his knees clutching his hopefully cracked nuts, so I stepped out of the ring and went about my business.
“Em?” River knocked on my door later that night.
“What’s up?” I asked.
“I didn’t see him come in if anyone asks.” River moved and I saw Mikey standing behind him.
I smiled and scooted over on my bed so he could lie down next to me.
We spent a good hour just staring at each other, hands laced together and bodies pressed up against each other.
“I love you.”
“I love you too Ems.”
This is breaking my heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
One chapter left :( There's a sequel but I haven't been working on it at all.
Title Credit: Break Your Little Heart- All Time Low