Sequel: Like Phantoms Forever
Status: Completed

I Lost My Fear of Falling

Starfox

I woke up because something was sitting on my chest. My eyes popped open and the grinning face of my brother was right in front of me.
“Get off River.” I shoved him off and let my lungs refill with air. “Why are you waking me up so early?”
“Cuz I can.” He cackled and left.
My brother.
What a weirdo.
Since I was already awake I figured I might as well get ready for school.
And, just in case Mikey shows up again, put a little extra effort into my outfit. I put on a red plaid shirt and left it open over my black cami. My favorite jeans that made my ass look awesome, electric blue high tops and a “Made with Care in Wonderland” necklace and I was ready to go.
“Sexy mami.” Wes whistled when she looked at me. “This for Mikey’s benefit?”
“Maybe.” I grinned wickedly and gunned the engine.
“Uh oh. You’re wearing the skank top. Boys, look out!” Wes calls this cami I’m wearing the skank top because it always rides up and flashes a good inch of my skin. I blew a kiss to her and we headed to school.
All through fourth period I was nervous, wondering if Mikey was gonna show up again.
And he was there with Frank when I walked in. Mikey’s eyes got as big as dinner plates and I saw his eyes drop to the exposed skin of my stomach.
Frank elbowed him in the side but I saw his jaw drop when Wes came up next to me. She was better suited to the cold than I was so she was wearing a black mini skirt and a Green Day t-shirt that might as well been painted on her.
“Damn.” I heard Frank mutter.
“Eyes up buddy. She knows where to kick.” I laughed.
“Yeah she looks like she could kick your ass.” Mikey grinned and I almost squealed from the cuteness.
“Damn right.” Mikey and Frank were sitting on opposite sides of the table and Wes sat next to Frank.
So I took the empty spot next to Mikey.
We were sitting close enough I could feel warmth emanating from him. I felt a strange sense of peace wash over me.
If I get this feeling all the time, I’m handcuffing him to me and never letting him leave.
--
My house had tension in the air when I got in. I dropped my keys on the table and made my way upstairs where River and my parents were having a harried discussion.
“Hey Emmy. You just get home?” My mom asked.
“Yeah. What’s going on?” I let my backpack hit the floor by my feet.
“Nothing. How was your day?” Dad changed the subject.
There’s something they’re not telling me.
And I’ll be damned if I won’t find out.
As soon as I logged onto my instant messager I found a friend request from mikeystarfox.
autumnleaves: you know, considering we live next to each other we could have just gone outside to talk to each other.
mikeystarfox: this is more fun 
autumnleaves: true. so, you like star fox?
mikeystarfox: i love that game. my brother and i beat it so many times.
autumnleaves: sounds like my brothers, River and Forrest. whats your brother’s name?
mikeystarfox: Gerard. we have lame names compared to you guys.
autumnleaves: you walk around being called Autumn, River and Forrest all your life and not get teased.
mikeystarfox: your name’s Autumn?
autumnleaves: *points to screen name*
mikeystarfox: sorry. im a moron and i haven’t had coffee yet today.
autumnleaves: hee hee. drinking a cup right now.
mikeystarfox: I
mikeystarfox: HATE
mikeystarfox: YOU
autumnleaves: cant hear you too busy drinking my delicious coffee
mikeystarfox: im coming over. see ya in a minute
SHIT.
I combed my hair, brushed my teeth and ran downstairs just as he knocked on the door.
“Came to steal my coffee?” I let him in and grabbed a mug from the cabinet.
“My mom forgot to buy more coffee this weekend and I’m too lazy to go get it myself.” He shrugged and sat down at the kitchen table. I sat across from him and we sipped our coffee in a comfortable silence.
“It’s weird how we’ve lived next to each other for so long and never talked to each other.” I said finally.
“A little, yeah. I used to see you all the time when you would play in the backyard.”
“Well you’re a creeper.” He chuckled.
“Kinda, I guess.” I stared down at my cup, because otherwise I’d be staring at him and I don’t want him to think I’m a creeper.
And I sure as hell don’t want him to know how badly I want to kiss him right now.
Someone knocked on the door and I stood up to get it.
“Is Mikey here?” A dark haired guy I vaguely recognized was standing in the doorway.
“Emmy, this is my brother Gerard. Gee, Emmy.” Mikey came up behind me.
“Nice to meet you.” I smiled.
“Nice to meet the girl my little brother’s crushing on.” Mikey swatted at his brother before turning to me to give me a hug.
“Thanks for the caffeine. See you at school.”
“Bye.” I closed the door and leaned against it.
I had to wait a whole ten minutes for my heart to stop hammering.
I’ve got it bad.