Be My Life Jacket

“I hope you like meatloaf.”

It was the following Friday, which happened to be the day Sam made plans for me to meet her parents. I was almost kind of nervous. What if they didn’t like me?

I mentally slapped myself at that last question. It wasn’t like I was actually dating their daughter. They didn’t have to like me.

“We’re here.” Sam announced, stopping in front of a common house with a perfect lawn and pebble driveway.

I followed her up the pathway and into her house. She kicked her shoes off and set her backpack next to them, motioning for me to do the same. I obliged.

“You must be Mick.” A masculine voice said from behind me.

“He sure is a cutie.” A different one said once I’d turned around.

“Dad.” Sam warned. “Stop.”

“You never let me have any fun.” He whined.

“I’m Daniel.” The first man said, stepping forward.

“I’m Joseph.” The other man said, shaking my hand.

“Nice to meet you.” I replied, trying not to cringe at the man’s firm grip. “I’m Mick.”

“We’ve heard so much about you.” Daniel gushed.

“All good things, I hope.” I chuckled, shooting Sam an amused look.

“Mostly.” She smirked.

“I hope you like meatloaf.” Joseph said. “It’s Sam’s favorite.”

“I know.” I replied, nearly gagging at the thought of meatloaf. But what was I supposed to say? ‘I hate the meal you’ve prepared.’?

***

After choking down the meatloaf with as pleasant a face as I could muster, Sam and I went into her room to work on homework, just like when she’d come over to my house.

“So…,” she trailed off. “What do you think?”

“Your parents are really cool.” I admitted.

“I told you it was okay to be gay.” She cajoled. “You can be perfectly normal.”

“That’s why you invited me over, wasn’t it?” I gasped.

“Maybe…,” she laughed.

“You sneaky little girl!” I exclaimed.

“I just want you to feel comfortable with yourself.” She shrugged. “It’s hard seeing friends struggle. I want you to see that it can work out.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this chapter is short! But I wanted to get something out there so you guys didn't get mad at me... oh! And I'm starting a new story. I'm going to probably write a lot of it before I start posting. It's my favorite story line yet (it seems the longer I write the better my story lines get).

~Kylie <3