Be My Life Jacket

“If that wasn’t flirting, then I’m the queen of England.”

“This is Mick.” Landon introduced with a smile as I sat next to him. I pretended to listen as everyone introduced themselves, but I knew I’d never remember. There were quite a few more people at this table than mine.

“Not going to eat anything?” Landon asked. “You’re so skinny.” He added, poking my flat stomach.

“The food here is horrible.” I explained.

He shrugged, digging into his rubber and glue macaroni. “It’s not that bad.”

“And I’m not that skinny. So shut up.” I retorted.

“I could snap you in half with one hand.” One of the guys piped up.

“I could lift you with my pinky.” Another guy chuckled.

“I could-,” another guy started to say.

“Alright guys, enough. You’re going to make him never want to sit over here again.” Landon cut him off.

I froze. This was supposed to be a normal occurrence? “I can’t ditch every day Sam though.” I told him.

“Your fake girlfriend?” A blonde guy snorted.

“My best friend.” I corrected. “And fake girlfriend…,” I added quietly.

“That’s okay, Landon did that when he first came out.” A red head chirped.

“You’re…out?” I asked, surprised.

“Yeah, that’s why everyone teased you so hard.” He explained.

“Oh.” I mumbled.

“I just assumed everyone knew.” He said, taking another bite of his unfortunate meal.

“I didn’t know until you told me.” I said, peering into his mocha eyes.

“I just thought that was because you were new.” He shrugged. “You should have seen the look on your face!” A bark of laughter left his lips before he could stop it. He slapped a hand over his mouth.

“Yeah, yeah.” I said dismissively. “What is this? Make fun of Mick day?”

“I’m sure that can be arranged.” Landon smirked after he had his laughter under control.

“No thanks.” I sighed.

“Why so serious?” He asked, ruffling my hair. I pushed his hand away, pouting. I didn’t like people poking fun at me.

“I’m so not sitting over here tomorrow.” I threatened.

“Oh, come on.” Landon cajoled, bumping my shoulder with his softly.

“Are you done flirting?” The blonde guy asked with an irritated tone. “It’s getting kind of old.”

“W-we weren’t flirting!” I stammered, a hot blush appearing on my face.

“Oh please!” A brunette boy chortled. “If that wasn’t flirting, then I’m the queen of England.”

“But you’re not a woman.” I stated.

“Exactly my point.” He replied smugly.

I rested my elbow on the table, placing my head in my hand.

The rest of lunch passed by slowly. I just listened to the guys talk, a change from the things I was used to the people at my lunch table talking about. It wasn’t bad though, just more masculine.

The bell rang, indicating the end of lunch. With a wave at the guys, I was off to my 4th hour class.

***

“So how was it?” Samantha asked when we met up outside the school.

“How was what?” I asked, eyebrows scrunching together.

“Sitting with your boyfriend.” She replied as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“He’s not my boyfriend!” I nearly shouted, then lowered my voice, “everyone still thinks we’re dating.”

“I forgot about that.” She sighed. “Who should dump who?”

“Well, if I dump you then date Landon, everyone will think I’m a player.”

“But if I dump you, then you date Landon, people will think he’s just a rebound.” She pointed out.

“We could tell everyone the truth. If it comes up, that is.” I shrugged.

“That’s not too bad of an idea.” Sam said, pursing her lips.

“But you know what still bothers me?” I asked.

“What would that be?” She asked, humoring me.

“I wonder who got the video and who showed it on the projection screen.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys! Sorry this took so long, but I'm working on yet another new story. I don't want to start posting the chapters until I finish off one of my stories. This one will probably be first. BUT in case you're interested, I'll be posting a summary once I get it figured out. Comment if you'd like that.

~Kylie