Be My Life Jacket

“Oh, sweet baby Jesus!”

“Oh, sweet baby Jesus!” I heard a feminine voice squeal.

Confused, I cracked an eye open. A woman stood in the doorway, lanyard around her neck, key in her hands. Memories flooded my brain and I looked around the room. I spotted his sleepily confused face above mine, then my eyes raked down his torso, realizing where my head was. Right in his lap. Definitely not something that happens every day.

I jerked up, a blush surfacing.

“W-we’re sorry.” I said quickly. “I-uh…we got locked in.”

She burst out laughing.

“Hey Sheryl.” Landon greeted, not seeming at all disturbed.

“Wait.” I cut her off before she could answer, raising a hand. “You know her?”

“How do you think I got us a ‘special tour’?” He asked, using air quotes.

“You said you paid extra.” I explained.

A bark of laughter sounded from Sheryl. She covered her mouth with a hand, trying to stifle her it. “Are you kidding me? He didn’t pay for anything.” More laughter. “He must have at least told about what he planned though, didn’t he?”

I looked to him, silently requesting answers.

“Sheryl!” He snapped, shooting a venomous glare. “He wasn’t going to know. But you had to open your mouth…,” he ran a hand through his hair.

“You shouldn’t talk to her like that…,” I trailed off as well.

“She’s my damn sister. I’ll talk to her whatever way I want.”

“Any more siblings you want to spring on me?” I asked. I looked between the two, now noticing the resemblance I hadn’t before.

“Just us three.” Sheryl informed.

“Now, please.” I started, staring Landon down. “Tell me your plan.”

He scratched the back of his head awkwardly, giving a sheepish smile. “I uh…I set this whole thing up.” He said so quietly I almost didn’t catch it.

“You what?!” I nearly screamed. He planned us getting locked in this supply closet?

“It’s not as bad as it sounds…,” he tried to justify. Suddenly, he groped his pocket, pulling out a folded piece of paper with black pen scribbled all over it. He unfolded it and showed it to me. I took it form his hand and studied it. At the top, in big letters were the words ’Bucket List’. Many of the items were crossed out, in no particular order. I scanned the page and sure enough, I found ‘Get trapped in a supply closet.’ What an odd thing to want to do.

“Landon, you’re only 17. What are you doing making a bucket list?” I asked, waving it in the air.

A look of terror passed over his face and his sister‘s, but they recomposed themselves before I could be entirely sure. Landon snatched the list back.

“You never know when your last day will be.” He explained solemnly. “I mean, I want to live while I can.”

“And why the hell would you want to be locked in a supply closet?” I asked, still a bit outraged at what he’d done.

“It happens in all the good TV shows.” He shrugged, not looking at me. “Why not? It wasn’t like we wouldn’t have been able to get out. I had Sheryl make sure that we would.”

“Why…why with me?” I asked, feeling anger fading.

“Because I like you, dummy!” He answered. “I’m sorry. I knew it was a bad idea.” He shook it head, getting up. I got up and went after him, grabbing his hand.

“No it wasn’t.” I assured. “I’m glad you picked me.”

“You’re just saying that.” He ripped his hand from my grip. He stormed off and I followed; he was my ride.

The ride back to my house was painfully silent. Each minute that flickered over the clock in his dashboard seemed to suffocate me.

“Landon…,” I started. He didn’t even make an attempt to look at me. “I really like you too. Please don’t be mad.”

“I’m not mad.” He said calmly. “I promise.”

“Then tell me what’s wrong.” I pleaded. “Just talk to me. Please?”

He took a deep breath and sighed it out. “I- I don’t know how to say this, Mick.” He hesitated before continuing, looking as if we was deeply considering his next words. “I like you. I really do. But I think we should stop seeing each other.”

“No.” I stated.

“Mick.” He sighed yet again. “You don’t want me. I’m damaged goods.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked, face creasing in confusion. “You’re not damaged goods.”

“You’ll see. If you stick around, that is.” He explained. “Which, I suggest you don’t.”

“Until you do me wrong, which I doubt you will, I’m staying.” I said defiantly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woah... not a fun chapter. What's wrong with Landon? Has he just got a bug up his butt?
I didn't proof read this chapter. And sorry it's so short.
Let me know what you're being for Halloween. I'm being a rocker. With combat boots (L:

~Kylie