Be My Life Jacket

“Mick doesn’t know yet.”

Landon stumbled back, clutching his head.

“Landon?” I questioned, cautiously making my way toward him. “What’s wrong, are you okay?”

“No, I’m fine.” He replied through clenched teeth. “I’m used to it, it’s just a really bad migraine.”

“Landon, look at me.” I demanded suddenly, lifting his chin up to examine his face. Tears were streaming from each eye, which I realized now had dark circles under them. “You don’t look so good. We should get you to the hospital.”

I grabbed his arm, but he dropped to the ground, now clutching his stomach. Colorful chunks escaped his mouth until he sat there, dry heaving. I rubbed his back, flipping open my cell phone and dialing 911.

By the time the ambulance had arrived, students were huddled around chattering, no matter how much the teachers tried to shoo everyone. I stayed put, heart beating maliciously in my chest as I watched Landon be placed onto a stretcher and hauled away. I ran home, to get the car so I could drive to the hospital. I tried to avoid contact with my guardians, promising to explain later.

I made it there in record time, almost getting in an accident on the way.

“Excuse me, could you tell me what room Landon Jacobs is in?” I asked the receptionist. She gave me a bored look before setting her nail file down. She clicked a few things on her computer before giving me his room number.

I couldn’t believe this was happening. The walk to his room was the longest one in my life.

The door creaked as I opened it. I peeked my head through the doorframe, heart dropping as I spotted Landon.

“Mick.” He croaked, motioning me over with the hand that wasn’t hooked up to an I.V.

“Oh my god.” I breathed, slowly walking over to his beside. I felt like hugging him, but at the same time, I was afraid of crushing his fragile figure. “Did they figure out what was wrong?”

“Mick, I just got here.” He replied flatly. “And don’t worry so much. Frown lines are not a good look on you.”

“Landon!” I scolded. “This isn’t a laughing matter. You scared me.”

“C’mere.” He said, motioning me even closer. I obliged, walking all the way over to him. He grabbed my chin, bringing my face closer to his. I grabbed the bed rail, steadying myself before leaning in for the kill. I captured his chapped lips in a kiss that made my heart flip.

The door creaked open and I stepped away immediately, wiping my mouth.

“Landon!” A familiar voice gasped. “Mom and dad are right behind me, so you’d better stop.” Oh, Sheryl. A smile crossed my face.

True to her words, an older looking couple burst through the doors, rushing to where I stood, and shoved me out of the way. I staggered back. How rude.

“Honey!” The woman shrieked. “We got here as soon as we could.”

“You should have just listened to me.” His dad stated, wagging a finger at him. “If you’d just-,”

“Dad!” Landon hissed, pressing a finger to his lips. “Mick doesn’t know yet.”

My ears perked up. “What don’t I know?”

“You must be Mick.” The woman said, rushing over to me. She wrapped her arms tightly around me and squeezed so hard I though I’d explode. “Landon won’t shut up about you. You make him so happy-,”

“Mom!” Landon groaned, slapping a hand over his face in embarrassment.

“What don’t I know?” I repeated, not intending to be distracted.

“Honey, I think it’s time you tell-,”

“No.” He stated, cutting her off again.

“I’ll tell him, if you can’t.” Sheryl offered.

“Okay, okay.” Landon gave in. “Everyone leave.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! I know I almost dropped off the face of the earth last time, but see how I'm updating so soon? It's because the comments inspired me to write. Now I'm not going to hold out chapters like some authors, but it might take me a little longer to write without comments ;D I want to hear all of your opinions! It's nice to know who's reading my story.

Also! Comment if you want a sequel to this story. I've already got an idea, but if no one's gonna read it...

And just ONE more thing! Me and my friend Regan are doing a co-write starting in December counting down the 25 days of Christmas. We've already gotten a few chapters written! I'll link you guys when it comes out.

~Kylie