Be My Life Jacket

“Landon, this isn’t a joking matter!”

“Tell me.” I begged after everyone had left.

Landon let out a shaky breath. “Alright.” He started, taking another deep breath. “I’m a woman. I had surgery to make me look like a man because everyone made fun of my manly voice and features.”

I arched an eyebrow. “Landon, this isn’t a joking matter!” I interjected, going to sit at the foot of his bed.

“Sorry if I want to spend my last days laughing rather than wallowing in self pity.” He scoffed, then slapped a hand over his mouth, probably realizing what he just said.

“Last days?” I gasped. “Landon, what’s going on?”

“Mick, this is why I wanted to break up with you, just disappear before I made an impression.” He explained. “I- I have brain cancer.”

“No.” I shook my head. “You’re lying. This is all some kind of sick joke.” I tried desperately.

“Micky.” He whispered, motioning for me to come closer, to set next to him. So I did.

It was hard to sit there with Landon, knowing I wouldn’t have him forever. I knew we had limited time together. I knew we could never be a normal couple. But I didn’t care. I slid down next to him, my chest against his back. I snaked an arm around his waist, grabbing his hand. I interlocked our fingers and gave his hand a tight squeeze. I don’t know how long we stayed like that, but I know how nice it felt.

“What are you thinking?” He asked, voice sending vibrations though my body.

“That I’m in love with a boy who has brain cancer. And that I’m going to love him until he takes his last breath or maybe longer.”

“What a lucky boy.” He remarked. “But I think he’d want you to move on and not be hung up on him.”

“Not as easy as it sounds.” I told him, kissing his cheek.

“Hey! No fair.” He whined. “I want to kiss you.”

“You already did.” I chuckled.

“Hey Micky.”

“Since when do you call me that?” I asked.

“Since I thought it was cute, like you.” He explained. “But guess what.”

“What?” I asked.

“I love you.”

“I know.”

I smiled. A genuine smile. I couldn’t help it. It felt wrong to smile, considering the circumstances. But with Landon’s warm body so close to mine and his fingers filling the normally empty spaces between my own, I felt this warm feeling spreading through me. A feeling that didn’t compare to anything I’d felt before. I felt like I could take on the world, do anything I wanted now that I’d acquired this intangible thing.

Love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well! This is a short chapter! But now you finally see that Landon was really only trying to protect Mick! Or at least you should... anyways... now you can comment all you want with all the guesses you have for the future! Or what's gonna happen in the sequel ;D

~Kylie