Be My Life Jacket

“Don’t harass my boyfriend.”

“Mick!” My aunt hissed, ushering me into the house. I shook the rain droplets from my hair, watching them leave stops in the rug underneath me. I shed my coat, putting it up on the hook. “You need to stop disappearing on us. Your mother and father trusted us to take care of you! If anything happened to you…,” she trailed off shaking her head.

“I’m fine.” I sighed. “I just need to take a shower and eat something and then I’m going back to the hospital, okay?”

“The hospital?” My uncle asked, appearing in the living room.

“Is there something wrong with you?” My aunt asked, placing a hand to my forehead. I pulled it off gently.

“No, I’m fine. It’s Landon.” I swallowed, trying not to burst into tears.

“That young fellow that brought you home from the beach?” My uncle asked. I nodded in response.

“Well what’s wrong?” My aunt chimed in, rubbing my back.

“Brain cancer.” I told her, looking up with blurry eyes. I blinked, feeling warm tears fall. “He’s dying.”

“Aw, Mick.” She cooed, gathering me into a tight squeeze.

“I have something else to tell you guys.” I sighed, scrubbing the tears from my eyes before looking between the pair, trying to read their expressions. But they were just blank.

What would they think when I told them? Would they try to change me? Would they be angry? Would they kick me out? Maybe they’d be ashamed. I took a deep breath, trying not consider any more possibilities.

“I’m gay.” I admitted, cheeks flaming.

“Honey, that’s not a secret.” My aunt laughed. “Two guy friends don’t go to the beach together.”

“But-,”

“I’ve been thinking you were gay for a while now. I probably knew before you.” My uncle smirked.

I took a deep breath, calming myself. “I just wanted you guys to meet him.”

“We’d love to.” My aunt gushed.

***

“No!” Landon shouted. “Don’t come in.”

“And why not?” I asked, my guardians exchanging confused looks beside me.

“I don’t want you to see me like this.” He explained through the door.

“Do you think I care what you look like?” I asked, pushing through the creaky door. I held a hand up behind me, signaling for them to stay. “I brought two people I’d like you to meet.”

“No.” He groaned, covering his face. I went over to him, peeling his hands away from his face to reveal dark crescents under his eyes. I ghosted a thumb over one, concern coursing through me.

“What happened?” I asked. “It’s only been a day.”

“This is what happens when cancer cells attack your immune system.” He explained. “Just wait until I start chemo.”

I felt like a lead weight had dropped into my gut. I couldn’t imagine Landon without his full head of hair, cheeks sunken it, with no color. I pushed away the lump in my throat, trying to be strong because I had a feeling if I started crying, Landon would start crying. I had to be strong for the both of us. Not to mention how awkward that would be for my aunt and uncle. Oh! My aunt and uncle.

“Aunt May, uncle Jeff.” I called. “Come in.”

“Mick…” Landon looked worried. “I-”

“You must be Landon.” Aunt May acknowledged.

“You the one that turned my nephew gay?” Uncle Jeff grunted.

“I do believe so, sir.” Landon replied, a smirk taking over instead of the distraught look his face held before.

“Uncle Jeff.” I hissed. “Don’t harass my boyfriend.” The words felt weird coming from my lips. But it was also nice to be able to call him that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Soo as you guys can probably guess, this story is coming to an end very soon! But do not fret, because there will be a sequel. To be updated on when that will come out, like my facebook page. Link is on my profile. Comment! Thanks for your support through out the story. I really appreciate it.

~Kylie