Private Universe

The Back of Love

I woke to someone poking at my cheek. I could feel it was too early and that I had not gotten enough sleep. I tried to wave the poking off but all I heard was a low chuckle and then I felt it again until I opened my eyes. Alex was propped on his elbow again and grinning at me.

"Go away." I said turning on my side so my back was to him.

"Aww. I woke up really excited you were here. Now you don't want me." There was no hurt in his voice. Only joking. So I turned over to look at him.

"Why did you wake me up?" I asked rubbing my eyes.

"Because I really wasn't sure if you were really here, or if you were still a dream." He said poking me again.

"I'm real."

"Swear? Swear that I'm not going crazy and that you are really here. The day before we play our last Canada date? Are you positive I'm not dreaming that?" He asked.

"One-hundred percent. I'm here to see the last show." I grinned at him.

He thought for a minute. "I don't know if I fully trust you right now, but if it is a dream I'm thoroughly enjoying it." He grinned and pulled me close again. I could easily get used to waking up next to him. "Tell me about the funeral. I didn't get a call until last night. When you so rudely woke me up." He grinned. "And you must tell me about that too."

I smiled at him. "The funeral was a nightmare."

"Why?"

"There were over twenty people that stayed for the will, right? And there was only one of the names in the will."

"Really?"

"Yeah. And it was me. She gave me everything." Alex's eyes went wide.

"Are you serious?"

"Yes. They all looked at me like I was something foul. Except Harold. Thought, he wasn't happy until I told him he didn't have to move out of the house." I said thoughtfully.

"Harold?" He questioned. He looked a little jealous and I had to hold back a giggle.

"The butler. Who's going on about seventy in age." I grinned at him as he relaxed.

"I see. Is the house nice?"

"It's beautiful. It's a mansion with a fuckin' vineyard as the backyard."

"Whoa."

"Yeah. Maybe when we hit Colorado you can come see it." I said.

"That sounds good." He smiled, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"Mmm. The worst part was probably the lawyer. He was beyond creepy."

"Really?"

"Mhmm. Like I had never met him in person and so I didn't know what he looked like until he was introduced to everyone at the funeral. And during the break he comes up to me already knowing my name. Then he took me to the garden and I didn't want to cause a scene by refusing. And he got really angry when I wouldn't go to dinner with him to celebrate. There was nothing to celebrate. I didn't want everything she owned."

"Wow."

"Yeah. So I'm glad to be back here with you guys. At least you're not creepy."

"Some people could easily debate that." He grinned. "Especially with Jack."

"Jack's not creepy. Just...childish."

"True."

Alex and I spent most of the morning lying in his bunk talking. I explained about the surprise and how Jack was in on it. He didn't understand how Jack could have kept a secret and I had to agree. He told me all about the techies and how nothing had gone as smoothly since I had been gone. He talked about all the shows and I couldn't help but feel a little jealous that he loved what he did. I wish I loved what I did.

"Alex, can we get some food? I'm starving."

He chuckled. "Absolutely."

I slid out of his bed and he followed. The rest of the guys were either sleeping or getting some food themselves. Because they were no where to be found. I went to the bathroom to check that I wasn't about to go in public looking like I had just woken up. I put on Alex's beanie and took his hand as we exited the bus.

"Where to?" He asked.

"I dunno. Somewhere with fries. Really good fries." I said grinning.

"Fries?"

"Yes. I'm craving some, badly." He shook his head and laughed. "What?" I said.

"I pegged you to be the salad type of girl."

"Really? After all those pancakes I ate?"

"Oh yeah. Forgot about those."

"And I eat salads when I'm in the mood. And usually when I eat a salad I have a side a fries to go with it."

"Really?"

"Yes. French fries happen to be my favorite food."

He thought for a moment. "Interesting. I thought it would be some kind of dessert."

I laughed. "Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good dessert. But I don't think I'd be able to live without fries."

"Interesting." He thought for a moment and then stopped. We had been walking towards some kind of civilization and I was confused at why we had stopped so suddenly. "I need to ask you something."

"Okay." He got down on one knee and took my hand. "Alex, what are you doing?" I asked scared.

He grinned. "Just shut up and listen." He took both my hands and smiled. "Zooey Evans, will you-"

"Alex!" I screamed.

He laughed. "Please shut up and let me finish. Zooey Evans, will you go out with me?" He grinned and I relaxed. "It would make me the happiest man on earth." I rolled my eyes at him and he stood up. "Is that a no?"

"No. Of course I will go out with, fool." His face broke into and grin and then he swept me into one of his amazing hugs.

After we got food in our systems we walked around the city. Alex wanted to show me all of his favorite places and I had no objections. I had never been to Vancouver. The city was really beautiful. I couldn't believe it.

We didn't find anyone else from the tour all day. We were on our own and it was really nice. I was almost sad when we were heading back. It was getting dark and we hadn't taken a car anywhere. I didn't mind. It was nice walking around hold Alex's hand the entire time.

"There's one more thing I have to show you." He said as we got back into the view of the bus.

"Okay." I grinned. He walked to the back of the bus where there was a ladder that led to the top of the bus. I looked at him skeptically and he only grinned.

He climbed to the top and I followed. He helped me get on and then he went to the middle and laid down. He crossed his legs and beckoned my to join him. So I did. I crossed my legs and he took my hand. Then he pointed to the sky and I felt my jaw drop. It was a clear night and there were no trees around. We weren't at the heart of the city so you couldn't see the reflecting lights.

All you could see what the dark sky and all the stars in it. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. "It's beautiful." I whispered.

"I know." I could tell he was smiling without looking. "Zooey?"

"Yeah?" I didn't look at him. I couldn't take my eyes off the sky. When he didn't say anything I tore my eyes away from the sky and looked at him. He was looking back at me and he looked like he was contemplating something. "What?" I asked.

He didn't say anything. He just leaned closer and pressed his lips to mine. I was surprised at how soft and gentle they were. I cursed myself for not paying more attention to his lips. How could I not? They worked wonders. He placed his hand on my cheek and deepened the kiss. I couldn't resist. And I didn't want to.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love you guys so much! I will gift you next chapter. I promise. Because I have TWO STARS. :D

Title credit goes to Echo & The Bunnymen