Stuck in the Middle

Chapter Two.

Elaine sat with her knees in her chest and her head resting on her arms. She couldn't understand how Jeremy could say that to her. She understood that he was hurting but she was hurting just as much as he was. 

"He didn't mean it like that, Lainey." A familiar voice came from behind her. She didn't have to turn around to acknowledge Logan. "You of all people should understand how he's feeling."

She wiped the few stray tears from her face and took a deep breath before answering. 

"Yes, I of all people should understand. My problem though, is the fact that he doesn't seem to get that he's not the only one hurting right now. I lost my best friend. Her parents lost a daughter. The town lost a role model." She stopped to take a shaky breath. Logan leaned down in front of Elaine to get a good look at her face. 

"You can't give up on him, Lainey. You know him better than anyone.  He's not the same guy he used to be. He's very short fused and impatient. I feel like with you here it will help him, you know?" Logan waited for some kind of acknowledgement but when he did not receive one, he patted her knee and walked back toward the house. 

She was alone again. She didn't want to do this anymore, push people away that is. To her it felt like she had no choice. She didn't want to be close to anyone anymore because she just feared that they would be swept up by some mysterious force. 

The sun was setting and it was getting dark. Not wanting to be completely rude, Elaine stood up and made her way back to the house. She walked in only to find the house empty. She let out a sort of exhausted sound and moved on to her room. She took each step thoughtfully, admiring pictures and old memories along the way. When she finally reached her room, she found a note from Jeremy on her door. 

Lainey, I'm sorry for how I reacted earlier. Please let me make it up to you. If you want to talk, my door is always open. 
- Jeremy


Elaine smiled to herself as she read the note over. 'Maybe I should go talk to him,' she thought to herself. She walked into her room more, throwing herself on the bed and the note down along with her. Her eyes wandered the ceiling, searching for the answer. Then something caught her attention. The box that Avery's mother had given her was sitting on the dresser. She felt that she should tell Jeremy about it but at the same time she wasn't ready to face it yet. Especially with Jeremy how he is.

She got up and grabbed the box gently, placing it under her bed. After throwing on sweats and washing up a bit, Lainey walks out of her room and moves three doors down the hallway. The house is quiet, but she knows that Jeremy is here. He wouldn't leave without her. 

She finally took a breath and knocked on the door. Once. Twice. Three times. Finally, as she was about to walk away, the door opened and out popped Jeremy's head. Almost immediately his arms opened and Lainey walked into them. She felt like a little kid, so vulnerable. When she realizes Jeremy is crying, it takes her all but two seconds to let her feelings out. She didn't care that she was crying or that Jeremy was either. All she cared about was the feeling she got from Jeremy. His arms around  her, his soft mumblings as his lips move against her skin. She felt like he let her in and she so badly wanted to let him in but she couldn't. She just wasn't ready. She was still broken. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I just want to apologize for not being on here as much as I used to. I've been so busy with school I just haven't been writing. I got back into it and I'm looking forward to finishing this story with Lauren. Anyway, feedback is always encouraged. Please tell us what you think. Thank you so much for understanding.
- Ashley