Status: Active

Second Chance

This Can't be Happening

By the time 8 A.M. rolled around I had sent Remus’ letter off and received a very quick reply.

Gaby,

Why in the world are you awake so early? Are you having trouble sleeping again? You know you can talk to me about anything sweetheart.
Why don’t we do lunch today? I’ll floo to your place at half past noon?

Always,

Remus


I shook my head Mooney was always one to worry, granted I suppose he had warrant to worry about me. I sent off a quick response agreeing to the time. With nothing else to do I showered and readied myself for the day. I was quiet surprised when I heard a faint popping in my sitting room at half past ten.

“Little early aren’t you there Mooney?” I asked with a smile leaning against the door frame.

“I’m worried about you.” He said simply.

“Remus” I sighed crossing my arms, “you worry too much you know that?”

“You look tired, which means you haven’t been sleeping, which means you’re probably having nightmares again, which means I have reason to worry. Tell me I’m wrong.” He replied sitting on the couch staring at me pointedly.

If there was one thing that I was never capable of, it was lying to Remus Lupin.

Once again I sighed and heaved myself over to sit on the couch next to him. I laid my head in his lap and mumbled, “My entire life was a lie Remmy. How am I supposed to live with that? How am I supposed to look in the mirror with any sense of dignity knowing that I shared my bed with a monster?” I couldn’t hold the tears in any longer. I hadn’t allowed myself to cry for so long it physically hurt.

Remus whispered my name, I could hear the pain in his voice, but I couldn’t stop the tears.

“I gave him everything and he took everything from me.” I sobbed.

Remus pulled me up and into his arms. He continued to whisper that everything was going to be ok. It was over now and we had to move on with our lives. The tears finally dried up and the guilt consumed me.

“Oh Merlin Remmy we were supposed to be celebrating your job, not getting depressed over my pathetic life.”

“Sweetheart your life isn’t pathetic.”

“Oh shut up! Do you want to still go out? Maybe a brunch instead of lunch?” I asked drying the tears as I sat up.

“Are you sure that you still want to go?” He asked worry wrinkling his brow.

“Yes I’ll be fine! Come on it’ll be fun!” I said standing up checking my face in the mirror above the couch.

“If you’re sure Gabe.” He said taking my arm, we apparated into Hogsmead.

We walked into the Three Broomsticks arm in arm and grabbed a table. Rosemerta looked over hesitantly at our table, before walking over with two butterbeers.

“Hey there Rose.” I said smiling up at her.

“Gabby, Remus…I…I’m surprised to see you two here.” She said looking around the pub; it was then that I noticed everyone was starting at us.

“Why?” I asked hesitantly.

“Haven’t you heard?” She whispered urgently, looking around once more.

“Heard what?” Remus asked putting his arm protectively around me.

“Oh Gabrielle it’s…it’s…Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban!”

My mug hit the floor and shattered at our feet.

“That’s not possible!” Remus whispered harshly.

I couldn’t breathe. This couldn’t be happening!

“I can’t breathe…I…I need air.” I said in a haze, walking through the pub to the door.

Everyone was staring at me; everyone knew. This couldn’t be happening.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Feelings? Reactions?