Status: Active

Second Chance

Guilt

I continued to toy with a loose thread on my purple quilt. I had been lying here all day; just staring around the room letting my pride get the best of me. I didn’t show up for breakfast the next morning. I didn’t show up for lunch either. A few times during the day I heard Remus stopping in front of my door as if to knock, but each time he walked away with a defeated sigh. By the time dinner rolled around I was starving and feeling slightly guilty about giving Remus the silent treatment when he was letting me stay in his home.

I heard Remus in the kitchen and followed the comforting sounds. I leaned against the wall staring into the small room. Remus had his back to me facing the stove, his wand making the proper movements.

“Hey.” I said lowly not completely sure I wanted him to hear me . He turned instantly.

“Gabby, I wasn’t sure you were going to come out. I made extra just in case. Are you hungry? Take a seat it’s almost done.” He said rushed, relief apparent on his face.

I sat at the table as instructed. “Do you need any help?”

“Oh no I’ve got it under control…Look Gabe I’m sorry for what I said yesterday. I didn’t mean to hurt you, it’s just that…”

“Remus it’s alright. I know you didn’t mean to. I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have gotten so angry and petty and ignored you all day. I’ve just been over sensitive lately and I’m sorry.”

Remus took a seat across from me, the plates following and dropping in front of us, “I should be more understanding. It can’t be easy what you’re going through right now.”

“It’s not, but I shouldn’t be bitch to the one person who has stuck by me all these years. I’m so sorry Remmy.”

“Now, now let’s move past this and enjoy a nice dinner. Yes?”

“Yes. It looks wonderful by the way.”

And with that we ate in companionable silence. I stared at my plate, I only had to play the part for a few more days and then I could return home. I knew with my being home Sirius would find me. I just knew it.

“What has you thinking so hard?” Remus joked from across the table.

“I was just thinking of the strangest dream I had last night. I was a purple bird flying over Hogsmead in the snow.” I lied quickly.

Remus gave a pleasant laugh, “You always did have the strangest dreams kid.”

I laughed as well, “Remember the one I had in our third wear with the giant color changing spiders in red tennis shoes? That was scary!”

“I don’t think I will ever understand the inner workings of your mind.”

“So when do you leave?” I asked innocently.

“Two days.”

Are you sure you’re ok with me staying here?” I asked looking for any sign of distrust in his face.

“Of course I don’t mind. You can stay here as long as you like.” There was nothing but trust in his eyes. Guilt started to bubble in my stomach. I began to nibble my lip as my anxiety grew. If Remus noticed my change of mood, he didn’t bother to comment.

The time at Remus’ past by much quicker than I thought possible, before I knew it, I was escorting Remus to the Hogwart’s Express.

“Well doesn’t this feel oddly familiar?” I asked looking around at all the young students and their parents.

“Oh yes, quiet. Merlin Gabby we are getting old.”

I gave a very un-lady like snort, “Speak for yourself old man.” I said as I straightened his tie and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Now get on that train before I kick your ass for calling me old.”

I waved as he boarded the train, “Don’t forget to write darling!” I yelled, waving frantically. My only response was a roll of the eyes and a dismissive hand gesture.

“How rude! There are children around.” I whispered to myself as I apparated back to my flat.
♠ ♠ ♠
Semi-filler chapter, but I'll have the next one out by the end of the week. But the spider dream I really did have that one! It really was scary!
Feel free to leave comments or something.