Every Storm That Comes Also Comes to an End

Two

The drive back to Baltimore didn’t take a much time as I thought it would. I guess traveling alone is a lot quicker. This time I didn’t have anyone with me to fight with or be annoyed with, which was a good thing I guess, but I also didn’t have anyone to talk to either.

With every miles I was getting closer and closer to the one place on earth I’d sworn never to go back again. Of course after my dad’s phone call I didn’t think twice about going and started packing. What I had packed I didn’t really remember because my vision had been blurted by tears. My mom had been in the hospital without me knowing, it wasn’t until dad called me to tell me she’d passed away that I found she’d a heart attack in the first place. I know it wasn’t fair, but a part of me blamed Alex. Of course it hadn’t been his fault my mom got sick, but it was because of him that I didn’t have any contact with my family anymore. I would never be able to tell my mother how sorry I was about what happened and I blamed Alex for that.

As I kept going a sign appeared at the side of the road. I slammed down on the breaks and parked the car at the side of the road. In a bit of a daze I read the big sign in front of me.

Welcome to Baltimore

I wasn’t really sure why I’d stopped, I think it was because I knew that once I passed that sign there was no going back. Entering Baltimore would mean having to face everything I spend running from the past year.

Trying to gather my will to start the car again I just sat there, thinking about the past year. The past twelve months have been hell. I’d cut off all contact with my friends and family back in Baltimore. I knew my family would never talk to me again and Jack just kept reminding me of Alex, so I never returned his calls either. As for Alex?

After I’d left Alex kept trying to contact me, mostly by phone seeing he didn’t know where I lived, thank god, though Ashley once told me Alex had called her to ask her where I lived. Luckily for me Ashley was on my side (she hadn’t really spoken to her cousin this past year either seeing she was furious at him for what he’d done.).

But as the months passed Alex attempts got less frequent until I didn’t hear from him at all. This was about two months ago. Even though I was relieved he finally understood I really didn’t want to talk to him anymore a small part of me was hurt, hurt he’d given up so easily.

I sighed and started the car again. Slowly I entered the town. Driving through the familiar streets I made my way to my parent’s dad’s house. I parked the car in the drive way and got out, not even bothering to take my stuff out of trunk.

My whole body was shaking as I rang the doorbell. Not even a minute later the front door flew open revealing my dad. “Avery.” He said, there was a small smile on his face, it was a sad one, but it was a smile. I could’ve sworn I’d seen a flicker of surprise in his eyes when he saw me, like he’d thought I wasn’t going to show up.

“Hi dad.” I whispered. We stood there awkwardly for a second before he pulled me in a tight hug. “I’m so glad you’re here honey. I missed you so much.” He said, still not letting go. “Dad, I can’t breathe.” I muttered. He let go of me and lead me to the living room.

I sat down on the couch and looked around. It still looked exactly the same as four years ago, the last time I’d been here. My dad sat down on a chair across from me. “How long are you staying honey?” I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. “Couple of days I guess.” I muttered, afraid to look my dad in the eyes. “Avery, what’s going on?” My dad said sternly, immediately seeing something was up. “It’s nothing dad, I promise. Don’t worry about it.” I tried to shrug it off. My dad studied me for a second, but thankfully didn’t push the subject.

“So, what….” I started to say, but I cut myself off when an object on the couch caught my attention. I slowly picked it up, it was a jacket. Not just a jacket, a very familiar jacket….. “Dad… Whose is this.” I asked slowly, almost afraid of the answer. “It’s Alex’s.” He replied casually, like we were discussing the weather.

I felt my heart sink to my feet. Why would Alex’s jacket be laying in my dad’s house. Why would Alex even come here In the first place? Unless…. “So h-he and Caitlyn... they…” I stuttered. “Didn’t get married.” My dad assured me. “Oh.” Was all I could say. “Why was he here then?” My dad sighed. “Avery, we need to talk.” I nodded.

“Alex told us everything.” I swallowed loudly, terrified of what was coming. “He told us why you left him 4 years ago, why you never came back and of course what happened last year.” I could feel tears coming up, but I held them in. “I don’t blame you Avery, for any of this. And neither did your mother. You had every right to leave Alex 4 years ago and you didn’t know about him and Caitlyn. We just wished you told us sweetheart, you didn’t have to go through all that by yourself.” I no longer could stop myself from crying. “I-I thought you would hate me, especially after l-last year.” I sobbed. My dad hugged me again. “Oh sweetie, of course not.”“But Caitlyn does.” I mumbled. Dad didn’t say anything and I knew I was right.

I took a minute to calm myself down. Everything was just too much. My mother dead, going back to Baltimore, Alex phone call and now this. “Why was he here dad? Why?” “He’s been helping me with everything since your mother passed away. I haven’t fully forgiven him for what he did, but he’s a good guy Avy, he just made a lot of stupid choices.”

When I heard my father say those word I exploded. “HE WHAT!?” I screamed, jumping up from the couch. “How can you say that dad? After everything he has done! My whole life is a goddamn mess all because of him! He cheated on me. He used me for a casual fuck behind his fiancée’s back, who happened to be my SISTER! He’s the reason I never got to say mom how sorry I am for everything that happened. I never even got to say goodbye to her all because of him. He’s the reason I got fired and have been living in Ashley spare bedroom for the past two months!” I froze when I realized what I just said.

“You got fired?”My dad asked in disbelieve. I slumped down on the couch. “I’ve been a mess dad, for the past year, I’ve been a big mess. At work they finally realized it too and fired me. I’ve been living with a friend for two months since I can’t pay the rent of my own apartment anymore.” My dad sat back on the chair. “You’re always welcome to stay here honey. You’re old room is still available.” I shook my head. “I’m not staying dad, I can’t stay in Baltimore right now.” “I know that honey, I just want you to know that if you change your mind you always have a place to stay here.” I smiled a little. “Thanks dad.”

“Avery, please don’t blame Alex for what happened to your mother. It was her choice not to tell you. She didn’t want you to worry about her. No one knew how serious it was at the time, until it was too late.” “I know it’s not his fault.” I said. “It’s just…” “Easier?” My dad chuckled. “Yeah.” I nodded.

“Does Caitlyn know I’m here?” I asked. Dad hesitated before answering. “I told her that I called you, but she didn’t think you would come.” “So, no?” “No, she doesn’t know.” I nodded. “Maybe we should keep it that way for now.” I mumbled.

“Why of all people did he have to be engaged to my sister?” I muttered, more to myself than to my dad. “You want to know what I think?” My dad said and I nodded. “I think he picked Caitlyn because she reminded him of you. When you left she was the closest thing he had to you. I don’t think he fully realized what he was doing at the time.” I sighed. It did sound like Alex, not fully being able to let go of me. When Alex wanted something, he was determent and wouldn’t stop until he got it, no matter what. It was part of why I had been so reluctant to come back.

I walked around the living room, stopping in front of the big window that looked out over the backyard. Memories from when I was younger flooded my mind. My little sister and my playing in the backyard. Things were so simple back then. When did my life get so complicated? Never mind, I already know the answer to that.

“He still loves you.” My dad’s voice shook me out of my thoughts. I didn’t say anything and just stared out of the window. “I think that boy has been in love with you ever since he first met you.” “I know that dad. And I love him too.” I finally turned around. “But love is not the problem, it never was. It’s the lies, the cheating, the broken promises that keep getting between us.” I turned back to the window. “I just don’t trust him anymore and after last year I don’t think I’ll ever be able to again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry this took so long everyone, but I have a fulltime job now and I barely have time to write.
I'll try to update sooner next time.

Love, Felicia