Under A Paper Moon

chapter 14

Genevieve’s POV

“Just pick a movie, I’ll make us some popcorn and hot chocolate and put the tiramisu in bowls and meet you in the lounge room” I say after unlocking the door to my house and ushering Jack inside.
“Sure thing babe” he says “but uhh can I use your bathroom first please?” he asks.
“You don’t have to ask to use the bathroom Jack, just go ahead, you remember where it is right?” I reply.
“Second on the left after the study?” he asks.
“Perfect” I say with a smile.
“Not as perfect as you are” he says causing me to blush.
“Has anyone ever told you that you’re totally adorable when you blush babe?” he asks.
“No, I can’t say that anyone has ever told me that” I say. “well I can now I guess, seeing as you just did, but before 30 seconds ago no one had ever told me that” I add with a grin.
“Hmm, well then I guess I’m just gonna have to make up for all those years of you not being told that you’re adorable then aren’t I?” he asks.
I shrug and turn away from him, heading for the kitchen before glancing back at him over my shoulder “that’s up to you” I say with a wink “don’t fall in the bowl babe” I add.
“I’ll try not to” he replies “no promises though”
“Well I hope you’ll be able to pull yourself out if you fall in, because I am not gonna be pulling you out of there” I tell him before disappearing into the kitchen.

A short time later I walk into the lounge room with a that is filled with the tiramisu, a bowl of popcorn and two steaming mugs of hot chocolate complete with marshmallows that are melting into the chocolate, I hope Jack likes marshmallows, I guess I should have asked first because I personally only like them when they are in hot chocolate and not any other time, I know I’m weird but hey its just the way I am. “I put marshmallows in it, I hope that’s ok” I say handing him a mug and smiling nervously.
“That’s perfect babe” he says smiling at me and taking the mug. “I love marshmallows in my hot chocolate” he adds.
“Me to” I say “I should have asked though, cause I usually hate the things but for some reason I like them in hot chocolate when they’re all melted and gooey and stuff cause it tastes good.” I say and he stares at me with an expression on his face that I can’t quite name. “what?” I ask
He shakes his head and grins back at me “Nothing…it’s just, I’m the same way, I hate eating marshmallows out the pack or roasted over the fire or whatever, but I love them in hot chocolate, and I always thought I was the only one.” he says.
“No way, are you actually being serious right now? Like really? You really don’t like marshmallows other than in hot chocolate?” I ask.
“Yeah, seriously.” he confirms.
“That’s crazy, I always thought I was the only one” I say.
“Well you know what this means don’t you?” he asks his tone serious.
“No, what does it mean?” I ask.
“It means that you are even more perfect than I first thought, and that we are more compatible than I first thought as well.” he says.
“Hmm is that right?” I ask sitting down on the couch and turning to look into his eyes.
“Mmm, hmm, that’s right baby” he confirms.
“So the fact that we both like marshmallows in hot chocolate and not any other way is a relationship solidifying factor hey?” I ask with a grin.
“Damn straight baby” he replies pressing a kiss to my lips.
“So what movie did you pick for us to watch?” I ask.
“This one”” he says picking up a DVD case and waving it back and forth in front of my face “I put the disc in the player already” he adds.
“Uhh can you maybe stop waving it around so I can actually read the title?” I ask with a chuckle.
“Oh, sorry” he says and holds the case still.
“The Poltergeist huh? You know that’s pretty scary, its all about a bunch of ghosts who terrorise a family” I say.
“Yeah I know its scary, but I figured it will give me a chance to hug you when you get scared” he says.
“What if you’re the one who get’s scared? I’ve seen this movie hundreds of times, it doesn’t scare me anymore” I reply.
“Well then you can hug me, and protect me from all the scary, scary ghosts” he counters.
“I guess I could do that” I agree.
“Come here babe” he says patting the seat next to him.
“You want hugs now? Before the movie has even started?” I ask.
“It’s a little cold tonight, we should snuggle together to preserve body heat” he says holding his arms out to me.
“But if I hug you now then what are we gonna do when the movie gets scary?” I ask sliding over to him and allowing him to hug me…and I have to admit, it just feels so right sitting here in his arms, I feel safe with him, and more comfortable than I have with any of my ex’s (which is a grand total of three guys) none of whom I felt comfortable with on the same scale as I am with Jack right now.
“I’m sure we can come up with something” he comments taking the remote out of my hand and hitting play before setting it down and wrapping his arm around my shoulders and pulling me closer to him “that’s better” he says turning his attention to the screen.

About half way through the movie and the screen has gone black…its an old DVD so the tracking is a bit dodgy, and there are just the sounds of the characters moving about and talking to each other about the ghosts…which actually makes it scarier than it really is, and I suddenly hear a blood curdling scream from somewhere nearby. I look around me hastily trying to figure out where the sound came from and realise it was Jack “holy fuck, Jack you scared the poo outta me!” I say. “What’s wrong?” I ask
“S-something’s touching my neck” he says.
“Maybe we should turn the movie off sweetie, I think its scaring you” I say.
“N-no somethings on my neck” he insists.
“Ok, let me look” I say and crane my neck to glance behind us to see what he is talking about and burst out laughing, I twist around in the seat and reach back scooping up my cat who is sleeping on the back of the couch its one of her favourite sleeping spots. “I know what was tickling your neck” I say bringing her around and setting her down on the floor.
“Aww she’s so cute!” he says reaching out a hand to pat her, she arches her back and rubs her head against his hand before jumping up and settling down on his lap.
“Huh, wow…she usually hates men” I comment reaching out a hand to scratch under her chin.
“Really?” he asks.
“Yeah, you should see her when I get pizza delivered, she hisses and spits at the poor guy, its go to the point where he doesn’t even want to come in the house anymore, he gets me to come out onto the porch because he’s afraid of getting scratched by her” I say. “you’re the first guy that she’s actually liked” I add.
“Was she here when Alex and I dropped you off that time?” he asks.
“Yeah she was, but she was in the garden, she has a little run out there that I put her in if it’s a nice day.” I say “I might put her out there now actually its where she sleeps” I add. “do you want to come?” I ask standing up and leaning down to scoop my cat off his lap.
“I’d love to” he says standing up also. “Do you want me to carry her?”
“Sure, I’d usually say no but well she seems to like you so I’ll make an exception” I say.
“For me?” he asks.
“Well I guess you could say that if you want, but its mostly for her” I respond poking my tongue out at him.
“Genevieve Carly Kaos, your words hurt me very, very much” he jokes.
“Aww I’m sorry Jack-attack” I say wrapping my arms around him in a quick hug and pressing a kiss to his cheek.
“It’s ok, I guess I can forgive you” he says pecking my lips and taking my cat from me before taking my hand in his and entwining our fingers and leading me out of the lounge room. He comes to a stop in the hallway and turns his head to look at me a slight blush creeping onto his cheeks “uhh maybe you should lead the way…I don’t actually know where I’m going” he says sheepishly.
“I was wondering how long it would take you to figure that out” I say with a chuckle “it’s right this way” I add leading him down the hallway into the laundry room and out the back door. “Well here it is” I say pointing at the big wire mesh cage against the house.
“Wow, that thing is awesome! Did you build it yourself?”
“No, my friend did, or well a friend of a friend, he’s a carpenter and had some free time so he came over and built it for me for free.” I explain walking across the back yard to the cage and opening the door. “Just put her down on the ground and she’ll go play” I add.
“She won’t get cold sleeping out here?” he asks setting Mittens down on the ground and watching her stalk off across the grass and over to her ball which she bats around with her paws.
“No, she has a kennel thing up on that ledge there” I say pointing it out “and yeah I know kennels are for dogs, but I wanted her to have a place where she can get out of the rain or hide in if she feels threatened” I explain.
“My sister has a kennel for her cat.” he says with a smile pulling the door shut and doing up the latch. “So now that we’ve put the cat to bed what do you want to do?” he asks wrapping an arm around my waist as we walk back into the house.
“You’re the guest, what do you want to do?” I ask.
“Can I give you a hint?” he asks.
“Sure” I reply with a smile.
“I think we should sit down on the couch here” he says sitting down and pulling me down next to him.
“And then what?” I ask.
“I’ll give you a hint” he says leaning over and pressing a quick kiss to my lips.
“I think I get where you’re going with this” I reply against his lips before kissing him back and wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him closer.
“So you approve of my idea?” he asks.
“Mmm hmm, seems pretty good to me” I say.
“Good, cause I plan on keeping you here for a little while” he says.
“That’s completely fine with me babe” I respond “I just have one request” I add.
“And what’s that?”
“Less talking, more kissing” I say.
“I can definitely take care of that” he says “starting right now” he adds before gently cupping my cheek and pulling my mouth down to his for a passion fuelled kiss that makes me gasp in pleasure.
♠ ♠ ♠
here it is guys, the second part of the date sorry it took so long to get it up i had a bit of writers block hope you like it! please comment and tell me what you think!