Under A Paper Moon

Chapter 16

Genevieve’s POV.

“So what do you want to do to do now?” I ask a couple of hours later switching off the DVD player, and glancing at Ava, we have just finished watching Finding Nemo which is one of my favourite movies. I could watch it once a week for five hundred years and still not get sick of it. Of course the DVD might wear out by then, but it wouldn’t be hard to go and get another copy.
“I don’t mind, you pick” she says.
“I picked the movie, it’s your turn to pick something” I say.
“Yeah but it’s your house, you should pick what we do”
“Nope, you’re the guest, its your choice.” I counter.
“Ok how about this, you chose what we do now, and then after lunch I pick something for us to do?” she asks.
“Do you have something in mind?” I ask.
“Well Alex requested that I invite you over for dinner tonight, so he can personally thank you for keeping me company today so I was thinking we could bake a cake for desert and then I could help you pick out an outfit that Jack will love” she says.
“Sounds good! What are cake are we gonna bake? Do the guys have a favourite?” I ask.
“Well Jack, as you probably already know will eat pretty much any kind of cake, so he’s pretty easy to cater for. As for the other guys, they’re all pretty big fans of chocolate cake, so if we just make some kind of chocolate cake they will all be happy” she says.
“Chocolate cake is perfect! And I just happen to have a killer recipe, it’s a family recipe that my great, great grandmother invented and its been handed down the generations since then.” I say.
“Sounds perfect, do you have all the ingredients for it or do we need to go to the store?” she asks.
“I have all the ingredients, I always keep them in the pantry incase I want to make it” I say.
“Cool, so what are we doing for the next couple hours?” she asks.
“Well I was thinking that we could get you in your wedding dress and try out a few different hairstyles and see which one you like the best, ditto with the make up. But if you don’t want to do then we could get started on the baking early or watch another movie, or maybe a few episodes of Sons of Anarchy or Mythbusters” I say.
“You’d do that for me? Without making an appointment at the store in Dillards? Do you want me to pay you?” she asks.
“No, I wont even hear of you paying! I get all the MAC products I want cheap with the employee discount, and I was talking to my boss and she said they’d be interested in sponsoring the guys and providing all the make up for free if they’ll promote them on the website and agree to use MAC products exclusively for all things on tour whether that be shows, interviews or signings.” I say.
“Have you talked to Matt about it?” she asks.
“Not yet, I haven’t had the chance we only discussed it after my shift yesterday, but I think it would be a good opportunity for publicity for both the band and MAC, they’re developing as new line aimed at young men, and they want some bands and other celebrities to promote the product. In return they will provide us with free products for the duration of the sponsorship and maybe even use some of the guys music in their ad campaigns.”
“That sounds really good, almost perfect actually, Matt’s been bitching about how the label wants to cut costs because of the whole global financial crisis and people not wanting to pay for expensive tickets, so I’m thinking this will be a good solution to the budget problem, cause make-up is pretty expensive even for a band full of guys” she says.
“So you think he’ll go for it?” I ask.
“Yeah I do, I mean I can’t say for sure, but knowing Matt anything that cuts costs and gives the band good publicity is a good thing, and the label has been putting pressure on the guys to find more sponsors so I would say that they’ll agree with Matt and go for it as well.”
“Ok, well that sounds promising, I’ll run it by Matt tonight, he’s gonna be there right?” I ask.
“I would assume he is, he’ll be there the whole day for the tour planning meetings so I reckon Alex will invite him to stay for dinner to, I mean he’s part of the ATL family and that’s what the BBQ is all about” she says.
“You guys count me as part of the ATL family.?” I ask.
“Hell yes! You’re our make-up artist for tour, and you’re dating the guitarist that makes you a very important part of the ATL family, and I’ll tell you this for free its so good to finally have another girl in the group, its been pretty much a boys club since day one with female guest stars every now and then when the guys tour, but none of the make-up artists have lasted more than a few weeks.” she says.
“Cool, well I’ll discuss it with Matt tonight and if he’s cool with it I’ll finalise things with my boss and marketing tomorrow” I say “but enough about business and the guys, lets get to the good stuff I have been dying to see you in your dress!”
“Thanks again for letting me keep it here by the way, I would keep it at home but then I’d run the risk of Alex finding it and if that happened I’d have to kill him.” she says.
“Oh we can’t have you killing him, I mean I’m pretty good with make up but I don’t think I’m good enough to fix his eyes if you scratch them out” I say.
“Yeah, it’d be a shame to have to do that, he has such pretty eyes.” she jokes.
“Well you don’t have to worry about that, cause your dress can stay here till the day of the wedding and I wont let anyone who isn’t in the room right now see it until you walk down the aisle!” I say.
“Great! Cause I don’t want any of the guys to see it particularly Jack cause he is about the worst secret keeper in the world.” she says.
“He can’t keep secrets?” I ask.
“Well he can, but only if you tell him its really important, and I just don’t really want to put the pressure of not telling Alex about the dress on him because he’s the best man and it wouldn’t be fair on him. He’ll have enough to deal with organising the ‘final night of freedom’ as he’s calling it without having to worry about thwarting Alex’s attempts to get ‘hints’ about the dress.” she says.
“Do you have a maid of honour?” I ask
“No, I was just gonna have my mum and sister be bridesmaids, and..i was kinda hoping you would be one too if its not too much to ask on top of the make-up” she says.
“You want me to your bridesmaid?” I ask.
“Gen, you’re dating Jack, you actually talk to me like I’m a normal persons, and you don’t treat me like dirt, and I think you’re the only girl I’ve met who doesn’t act like an idiot around the guys, so yes I want you to be my bridesmaid because even though we have only known each other a short time I count you as one of my best friends” she says.